What's the deal with spikes?

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But my fasting (early morning) ones are rarely below high 5/6s and today was 7.3
My morning readings are always around 6/7 and I'm on metformin.
Generally I'm happy if I stay between 5 and 7.5 for the day. Those really are not terrible results as far as I'm concerned. According to the link Squire provided - they are normal :)
Yes, I tried it and the slow release but I felt quite nauseous on it but I know I didn't give it a fair chance as I was in denial that I even had diabetes at the time (blush).
This is purely anecdotal and comes only from what I've read on the forums - but I have seen posts suggesting that the tummy issues with metformin are worse when eating a lot of carbs. You may find it easier now you're eating a low carb diet. I did have problems with diarrheoea initially but it only lasted a few weeks and wasn't constant.
A real chicken breast, garlic butter and breadcrumbs proved it was the shop bought "chicken" that was the problem.
Then I shall give them a go (with post meal testing of course ;)).

Reactions: 2 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi everyone, hope uv all had a great christmas and managed 2 stay as best u could low carbing? Iv had a couple of slips 1 was eating 10 duck spring rolls, 2 hrs later bg was 11.1 what a shock but back on track now not worth it, since diagnosed july with hbc1 63 am now 47 so dont want 2 go back there!!

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, hope uv all had a great christmas and managed 2 stay as best u could low carbing?
Hey Amanda. Yes it was an xmas slip up and resulting spike that made me start this thread! Have a look at the 'Help I need a virtual slap' thread in the low carb diet forum - we are discussing our slip ups and helping each other get back on track :)
Would kill for readings like that lol
Hi Dookie - let us know if you need any help with things x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great thread!

If anyone is interested, grated parmesan makes a scrumptious alternative to breadcrumbs.

Bung your chicken piece of choice onto a baking tray and lightly cover with parmesan plus any, or all, of the following:
salt
pepper
thyme
chilli
garlic flakes, powder or slices
paprika
jerk seasoning

Then bake just as you would normally (180 degrees till cooked)
The parmesan forms a lovely crusty golden top, and stops the chicken from drying out.

Suppose you could do it with just about any cheese...

:hungry:

It really isn't any more phaff than cooking a ready meal, and it is 100% real food.

Reactions: 6 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing strict lc/hf since July 2015 and I've tested and tested to see what spikes and I still can't get below the 6s even though I have lost over 2 stone in weight (which now seems to have stuck at 10st5) And things that I am OK with sometimes will spike at others. It's all a minefield really as pointed out by Bluetit when she says "The peak of the spike varies in timing depending on the combination of foods eaten - carbs/fat/protein." Brain overload. Despite all the reading and learning I've done I'm still not sure if I have it under control or not. I suppose my next HBA1c will be the deciding factor as to whether I need to go on the dreaded Metformin.

I had an interim one ordered by my GP when I said I wasn't taking any meds and doing the lc/hf diet instead which was about 3 months after starting lc/hf and I was down from 57 to 53 which was still not good and I don't think I've seen any vast improvements since then. :(

Apologies to @LinsT as I didn't mean to make this thread about me but I think it helps to compare notes (hopefully) xx

I know GPs are very dismissive of too much testing but as Squire Fulwood says how are we supposed to know if we're getting it right or living in a fool's paradise. It's a bit late by the time you get an HBA1c to find out that you've got it all wrong.

My morning level is usually in the low 7's, the rest of the day I rarely get down below the 6's just have a very occasional 5 whatever I eat but I don't worry about it.

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone that replied. xx You are all very reassuring and I think I worry a bit too much. I got through Christmas without any major spikes so was pleased with that. I guess as I'm not on meds I'm not doing too badly in the greater scheme of things and, as I have a chronic back condition, exercise doesn't feature very big in my life as even walking far gives me pain so I think I'm probably doing something right to keep to the figures I mentioned. xxx

Reactions: 6 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are all very reassuring and I think I worry a bit too much.
I think this convo has reassured us both. We've established that occasional spikes are just a warning sign to avoid certain foods and not dangerous on their own. This has eased my mind a LOT so my thanks to everyone too.
And Copey - honestly it sounds like your blood levels are absolutely fine. You don't need to get down below 5 - you're still within the levels recommended for people WITHOUT diabetes! Mine are pretty much the same as yours - occasional 5's but mostly 6 to 7. Don't make ME start worrying that I should be lower lol xx ;););)
If anyone is interested, grated parmesan makes a scrumptious alternative to breadcrumbs.
That sounds delicious Brunneria thank you - am so trying that next week. I like recipes that are 'normal' - you know - use ingredients u can actually buy at the local supermarket!