SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sunny morning all!
When I was first sent to hospital, extreme thirst, weight loss, sugar in urine etc. I was put a saline drip, oodles of blood taken. They couldn't decide if I was type 1 or type 2 so they decided to treat it "aggressively" ie insulin from day 2. Now I'm not although quite sure that I've been told that's Type 1. Total insulin basal + bolus is about 14 units per day.
I've heard about the honeymoon period but here's the question eventually, sorry about the ramble. What's the difference between type1 honeymoon and LADA?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how old are you any history of it in your close family. that dose of insulin is low. imagine lada like a cross between type 1 and 2 its usually a bit slower than a type1 to come on and your usually older. you need to be tested positive for antibodies you will end up on permanent insulin like type 1s. its a shame there is no simple blood test that can say.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
how old are you any history of it in your close family. that dose of insulin is low. imagine lada like a cross between type 1 and 2 its usually a bit slower than a type1 to come on and your usually older. you need to be tested positive for antibodies you will end up on permanent insulin like type 1s. its a shame there is no simple blood test that can say.
I'm 64 and my paternal grandmother and paternal aunt were both T1. I was "diagnosed" in Aug 2017
Basal 5 units twice a day. Bolus 1 to 2 units depending what I'm eating. I think they tested for everything but not sure HbA1c done in the first week was 118. If I've been put on insulin, I thin it's a done deal but I keep hoping it's wrong. Boowee

Last edited:

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
most likely type 2 but it really does not matter as your on insulin.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
congrats yours was higher than mine 106. if you can get good control and im afraid thats by diet you may get off it if your type 2.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
congrats yours was higher than mine 106. if you can get good control and im afraid thats by diet you may get off it if your type 2.
Thanks. My carbs range from 40-60g a day. Suppose it might be an idea to get another HbA1c done. I keep wondering why they say I'm type 1 especially being 64 when diagnosed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. My carbs range from 40-60g a day. Suppose it might be an idea to get another HbA1c done. I keep wondering why they say I'm type 1 especially being 64 when diagnosed

If your last HbA1c was in August, you should have been called in for another one before now. As you are on insulin your HbA1c will have come down if you have been getting it right.
What does your GP say?
It isn't the HbA1c that defines what type you are though. The tests normally done are the C-Peptide and GAD tests. If you had these you really need to know the results, so I suggest you try to find out.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If your last HbA1c was in August, you should have been called in for another one before now. As you are on insulin your HbA1c will have come down if you have been getting it right.
What does your GP say?
It isn't the HbA1c that defines what type you are though. The tests normally done are the C-Peptide and GAD tests. If you had these you really need to know the results, so I suggest you try to find out.
I haven't been to see my GP because I don't feel sick just peed off that I'm putting on weight despite eating virtually no carbs and on insulin. Is it true that GPs don't want to have cpeptide and GAD tests done because of the cost? If I knew how, I'd have them done privately if necessary

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You should demand that you are referred back to the hospital where they should do the c-peptide and GAD tests. And you should make them do them too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been to see my GP because I don't feel sick just peed off that I'm putting on weight despite eating virtually no carbs and on insulin. Is it true that GPs don't want to have cpeptide and GAD tests done because of the cost? If I knew how, I'd have them done privately if necessary

You should have had these tests done when you were "diagnosed", so it is possible the hospital sent a report to your GP so he may be able to tell you.

Are you under the care of a diabetes clinic? They should also know. It is only important to know if you are T1/LADA or T2 because of the different treatments. T1 and LADA are much the same thing. LADA is just late onset T1.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they did the gad test but not the cpeptide im guessing its cost.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
I don’t even understand what LADA diabetes is all about. I never heard about it until I joined this forum.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Now HbA1c down to 42.... amazing!!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
You should have had these tests done when you were "diagnosed", so it is possible the hospital sent a report to your GP so he may be able to tell you.

Are you under the care of a diabetes clinic? They should also know. It is only important to know if you are T1/LADA or T2 because of the different treatments. T1 and LADA are much the same thing. LADA is just late onset T1.
Thanks @Bluetit1802 I saw the dietician and she kept referring to me as type1. I'm 64, they're guessing and I think I'm a late developer LOL!!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I don’t even understand what LADA diabetes is all about. I never heard about it until I joined this forum.
I'd never heard of anything apart from T1&T2, my vocabulary has expanded along with my fat belly, 7k increase in 6months

mcmoggy261

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The shocking state of national and world affairs
Hey SueJB, weight gain is normal when first starting on insulin, you're hba1c is the important thing just now and it looks like your doing just fine there. If you're disciplined enough to maintain those BG numbers you'll have no problem with weight loss. Gradually introduce an exercise routine so as to avoid hypo's and you'll wonder where your belly went.:happy:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sue i was 50 but defo type 1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hey SueJB, weight gain is normal when first starting on insulin, you're hba1c is the important thing just now and it looks like your doing just fine there. If you're disciplined enough to maintain those BG numbers you'll have no problem with weight loss. Gradually introduce an exercise routine so as to avoid hypo's and you'll wonder where your belly went.:happy:
Thanks @mcmoggy261 for the support and optimism

Reactions: mcmoggy261