1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Whats the most annoying thing people say about diabetes?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by notafanofsugar, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

One that is becoming a little more annoying than it was is when I use the word "diet". The listener seems to automatically put the word "slimming" in front of it and then talk about all the fattening things I can't eat.

Changing my diet just means eating different things and does not mean eating less necessarily. If I try to explain then I can see the listeners eyes glaze over.

2. Phoebe13

Phoebe13 · Member

Gracek, I have to say I massively agree with Kimiwolf. I was diagnosed at the age of 10 - and it wasn't so much the "Not being able to stuff my face with sugar and chocolate" that I resented and used to go home and cry into a pillow over - it was being different.

At a time in your life where you are just desperate to fit in and be liked, being mocked and called names for suffering from diabetes was - for me anyway - incredibly difficult.

The fact that you needed to be diagnosed with diabetes to realise you needed to be healthier is a very drastic measure, and I wouldn't wish the diagnosis on anyone, no matter how overweight or unhealthy their lifestyle. It sounds like you support some kind of ridiculously over-bearing nanny state, where we are told exactly what to do, when and where. I for one am all about personal freedom, and I find your extended post quite puzzling - it almost sounds like you are saying type 2 diabetics all deserve their diagnosis because they must be over-weight and have brought it on themselves?

3. Christine Smith

Christine Smith · Member

Hello everybody, hope you are all well ! well as well as expected lol The most annoying thing people say to me is, oh I thought all people with diabetes are fat !!! and that they bring it on theirselves by over eating sweet things, and the most scarey thing is if you go into a coma how much insulin should be given to you. This is not as much annoying as frightening, do they not realise this is the worse thing they could do to us. Christine x

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi phoebe I do understand how you feel, seeing my grandchild so critically ill on the HDU clinging for life at 2 1/2, still makes me cry, I hope she doesn't feel 'different' as she gets older, but I know it is difficult for teenagers and young adults. My GD and myself are type 1, I was diagnosed at 31. We all have choices in what we eat and why we eat that certain product or smoke or drink alcohol,its life style choice at the end of the day, I did smoke but gave it up 3 years ago this month :thumbup:
    No one has said anything negative to me about diabetes, yet :x but I do remember a lady saying a few years ago, in the 90's, in the supermarket where I worked, that mine, type 1, was serious. Best wishes RRB

5. GraceK

GraceK · Well-Known Member

I can understand the not wanting to be different at the age of 10. I was perceived as 'different' for ethnic reasons from the day I was born so I guess I probably got used to a certain amount of name calling from a young age but I have learned to sling it back if it keeps coming - and it still does sometimes.

The diabetes diagnosis didn't spur me on to be healthier, I've always eaten 'healthily' etc, but what the diabetes did was show me that healthy eating for a non diabetic may not be healthy eating for a diabetic so I now know what I need to cut out of my diet in order to feel 'normal' again. In that respect a diagnosis has been a Godsend.

I wasn't at all saying that T2 or any other diabetic deserves their diagnosis. Not at all. I was saying that what we WANT and what we NEED are very different things. I don't think anyone 'deserves' any illness at all. And I do think think our Government has a responsibility not to allow the advertising and promotion of poisonous foods which cause a great deal of ill health whilst at the same time lecturing us on our obesity problems and how much we're costing the NHS. Stop pushing the **** in the first place, stop giving mixed messages to the public where cigs, alcohol and sweets are concerned. They have no nutritional value. But they have a tax value.

We complain and are horrified when other countries commit genocide against their own people, yet we turn a blind eye to our own Government poisoning us with sugar. Sugar maybe sweet but it's still a killer.

6. GlazedDoughnuts

GlazedDoughnuts · Well-Known Member

:lol:

I think I finally understand your posts, you're a comedian, right?

7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I can understand the not wanting to be different at the age of 10. I was perceived as 'different' for ethnic reasons from the day I was born so I guess I probably got used to a certain amount of name calling from a young age but I have learned to sling it back if it keeps coming - and it still does sometimes.

The diabetes diagnosis didn't spur me on to be healthier, I've always eaten 'healthily' etc, but what the diabetes did was show me that healthy eating for a non diabetic may not be healthy eating for a diabetic so I now know what I need to cut out of my diet in order to feel 'normal' again. In that respect a diagnosis has been a Godsend.

I wasn't at all saying that T2 or any other diabetic deserves their diagnosis. Not at all. I was saying that what we WANT and what we NEED are very different things. I don't think anyone 'deserves' any illness at all. And I do think think our Government has a responsibility not to allow the advertising and promotion of poisonous foods which cause a great deal of ill health whilst at the same time lecturing us on our obesity problems and how much we're costing the NHS. Stop pushing the **** in the first place, stop giving mixed messages to the public where cigs, alcohol and sweets are concerned. They have no nutritional value. But they have a tax value.

We complain and are horrified when other countries commit genocide against their own people, yet we turn a blind eye to our own Government poisoning us with sugar.
    Sugar maybe sweet but it's still a killer.[/quote] It's not the bullet or the gun that's the killer, its the user :( Please remember, sugar can be a lifesaver, as I have and I'm sure many,many other diabetics have found out that it can stop/delay from going into a diabetic coma :( which is extremly serious and for getting a low blood sugar reading up to a good level.

Tonight, for dinner, I had salad with coleslaw, oven baked Tuna with a small portion of new potatoes and a weight watchers berry yogurt, delicious. Last night I had a homemade vegetable curry and rice with a small meringue, cream and some peaches on top for dessert, much higher in carbs and fat, but I wouldn't have it all the time, I try have a healthy balanced food intake.

As for cigs, bad. Alcohol, ok in moderation ( even though I'm not a drinker) sweets, as a treat, but in a small amount. People have so much knowledge nowadays about health, nutrition, diet etc and it can all be found by the click of a button or at the local library, magazines, newspapers and the media. We all have to try and be sensible with our choices, regardless of whether we have diabetes or not. Take care all, with best wishes RRB

8. mbudzi

mbudzi · Well-Known Member

Was hugely proud of my 6 year old daughter shouting at her favourite TV programme, Sparticle Mystery. They have a diabetic character who collapsed into a coma from missing one injection whereupon they injected what appeared to be a full syringe of insulin into his vein! As my daughter considers herself my personal physician (she reads my meter (great way to learn about decimals) works out my insulin to carbs (learning 10 times table) and picks good injection sites) ... she gave them hell about everything they did wrong. Wish I'd thought to video it and send it to the BBC for their education. :lol:

Most annoying thing, bad TV... they should be setting the record straight!!! Oh and people asking if I've got it under control

On good days this makes me giggle and imagine my vicious monster caged?
    On bad days I want to shout its a daily balancing act, not a thing you master and forget about.

But I am the person that always says the wrong thing so I don't have much wiggle room here!

9. sailor250308

sailor250308 · Newbie

It infuriates me when i constantly read about 'type 2' being controlled by tablets and diet ...... Nope, im type 2 and inject 4 times a day ........ ive even heard docotrs on tv refer to type 2 and the type that is controlled by diet and tablets ..... read up people .. get your facts right !!!

10. abs

abs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When i got it everyone assumed it was my own fault from what i had done in the past and kept telling me it was all down to me and that was annoying!

11. Topcat010867

Topcat010867 · Member

I just love it when people say oto me

"Oh your Type 2 at least that`s not as bad as Type 1"

12. davidhenderson

davidhenderson · Newbie

The most annoying thing is the suggestion that there is two different kinds of diabetes. Diabetes symptoms are weight loss, and inability to quench thirst and death within a relatively short time without insulin administered externally of course. Type 2s of course are normally overweight which would normally expect to be caused by too much natural insulin flowing in the body.
    In the past doctors denied this as they had the idea that the pancreas had some way of regulating the flow of insulin. This has at last been proved wrong by the drug companies who say Metformin does not increase the flow of insulin, it limits the release of sugar from the liver.
    When will doctors use some common sense and just cure diabetes?

13. AMBrennan

AMBrennan · Well-Known Member

Are you saying that there are not two types?

I am not entirely sure what you trying to say, exactly (at best, I think you are trying to say that high insulin causes weight gain and subsequent insulin resistance rather than the traditional model of insulin resistance resulting in high insulin production), but that has nothing to do with Metformin; reducing glucose production means that either way you would expect lower blood glucose.

Finally, consider the possibility that curing diabetes might be hard and doctors haven't found a cure yet because of this rather than because they can't be bothered.
    The more disease we eliminate, the harder further advances will get (because all the easily cured conditions will already have been cured).

14. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi All.
    Maybe davidhenderson is 'meaning' its others [joe public] that can be annoying with
    reference to the difference between the types1 and type2's ?
    There is this option to consider in the last two posts - from both topcat/davidhenderson posts.

Just a suggestion :)

Anna.

15. Jaxx01

Jaxx01 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I got asked the other day if I have the proper diabetes that I control with insulin or the pretend one where I can't eat chocolate ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Wenan

Wenan Type 2 · Member

Type 2 affects people who are obese and take no exercise. I hear this a lot on TV, I have type 2 and am normal weight and have several energetic hobbies. I've only had to stop them because of a prolapsed disc.

Type 2 from Nov 2011 1X 500mg Met SR

17. sanchia07

sanchia07 Type 1 · Active Member

Whenever i say, i have a headache oh have you tested your sugar levels........its just a flamin headache!!!!

18. Jaxx01

Jaxx01 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here, 31 not overweight and do my fair share of exercise BUT do have two type 2 parents!!

I also hate being told I'm too young to have type 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Parky

Parky · Member

After 30years T1 and now +60 people assume I'm T2 and that I have diabetes because of a poor lifestyle even though I am not overweight or suffering from any significant side effects. I hate the assumption that diabetes is down to your poor lifestyle, a view pushed in the media very strongly.

20. Earthshaker63

Earthshaker63 Type 2 · Member

At an Interview I was asked about Diabetes question on the application form, manager said "so how many fits do You have" ???
    I replied "are you serious" never got the job thankfully......

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook