Type 2 What's the perfect breakfast?

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I have 2 fried eggs bacon low sugar baked beans and 2 slices of bread my B'S often lower at the 2hr test. My problem is at 5 am when going to work I don't want a fried breakfast. I tried oatflakes and my B'S went up by 7.4. Not good and the same with porage oats. Has anybody tried other breakfast cereals?
Had my six month check up yesterday hba1c 6.6 happy with that.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was going to say a cheese omelette and bacon and coffee is the perfect breakfast. :meh: Never mind.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
you can try making a porridge with ground flax seeds. Additives can make it sweet or savoury, whatever you like

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
precooked veggie frittata slice with oat or rice bran added during the making of

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1412313774.061269.jpg

Two egg tomato and onion frittata/omelette

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

I have scrambled eggs done in the microwave often
Or greek full fat yoghurt with blueberries and some seeds sprinkled on top. I can't eat any of the breakfast cereals. They all spike me

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried the Quinoa Porridge in the DB cook book from this site? 120g quinoa 600ml almond milk, cinnamon.( makes about 4 portions) cook ahead and keep in the fridge reheat in the morning (about 2mins in the microwave) add berries/nuts of your choice.

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 egg omelette with cheese works best for me, I sometimes at ham and if running late I do it in the microwave, it only takes 1 minute.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I delighted in bacon and eggs for many months, but got so fed up that I now restrict them to weekends, when my husband also has time to appreciate them. Currently I find that 2 eggs, beaten with a spoonful of cream cheese and a little granulated sweetener, make a lovely light pancake/omelette. I keep blueberries in the freezer and add a small handful once the mix is in a buttered pan. Lovely and less 'eggy' than a savoury mix.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
100g full fat Greek yogurt with about 60g of berries thrown in and a dessert spoon of flaxseed. Mug of tea. Keeps me going till lunch time.

You are very lucky you don't spike with those low sugar beans and 2 slices of bread. I would be up in double figures.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried uncooked oats? My wife does home-made muesli from porridge oats, seeds etc. Cooking oats i.e. porridge probably increases the GI as the cells will be broken down.

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I'm a muesli man myself- homemade, starting with plain oats, adding mixed roast unsalted nuts (roughly chopped up) and a few seeds, then a few dried mixed fruits for flavour... A spalsh of milk soaked in, and I'm a happy bunny for a few more hours!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1412397157.104313.jpg

Greek full fat natural yoghurt 100g, raspberries 40g, blueberries 40g and three types of seeds, pumpkin, sunflower and flaxseed 10g

About to go play tennis for an hour so decided I can afford to be a little generous with the berries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm in a real rush, I just open the fridge, grab 2 slices of cheese (presliced leerdammer, Edam, cheddar or Gouda) and a slice or two of ham (Mr B always has them piled up on a shelf for his packed lunches. I layer them in my hand.

Then I turn and walk out the front door, munching.

No plate. No washing up. Fabulously portable. Delicious. And I won't need to think about food for 3-4 hours.