What's Wrong With Exercising?

Elisa17591

I was diagnosed a year ago with type 2. For three months, I successfully controlled my diabetes with diet and exercise. Exercising would bring my sugars down - about 20-30 points.

Lately though the opposite happens- my sugars spike anywhere from 20-60 points after exercise. I exercise 3-5 times a week 30-60 minutes each day. I don't understand why exercise used to help and now it doesn't.

I mostly weight lift throughout the week with a little HIIT cardio thrown in and once a week I go to a Zumba class. I've danced most of my life and took up Zumba before I was diagnosed.

I'm about 5'6" and 150 lbs so I'm not overweight. I've always heard diabetics need to be careful with exercise because of the risk of low blood sugars but I have the opposite problem.

I want my workouts to be productive and I think a little intensity should be ok I think but this is absolutely frustrating...what should I do?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Diabetics taking insulin, (and possibly those on sulphonluryea's) might experience rapid drops in blood glucise levels when exercising.

But doing high intensity stuff means that your body needs to recover afterwards and that in turn means your liver will assist the recovery process with a glucose dump.

I noticed that on your previous thread there was some discussion about protein powders. Are you supplementing your diet?

Reactions: Guzzler

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your body will release glycogen which is the stored version of glucose in the body. WHile there is a limited supply when you excersise and you're body will release glycogen to keep your muscles fed.

Elisa17591

Diabetics taking insulin, (and possibly those on sulphonluryea's) might experience rapid drops in blood glucise levels when exercising.

But doing high intensity stuff means that your body needs to recover afterwards and that in turn means your liver will assist the recovery process with a glucose dump.

I noticed that on your previous thread there was some discussion about protein powders. Are you supplementing your diet?
I've been doing less protein shakes. My protein powder doesn't have a whole lot of carbs though - I checked. I've just resigned myself to highs after exercise. My endocrinologist said he won't discourage me from working out. I've noticed as time goes on that an hour or two later, I drop like crazy - over 100 mg...so I guess it's ok...it's just frustrating to be told to exercise to control sugars and see them spike because then I feel like I'm not controlling them very well. Thanks!