What's your number?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a bread called Hi lo that you can get from Sainsburys its more expensive so ive just foundout from the website but it contains 65% less carbs than ordinary white bread its high in fibre and almost 50% of your daily protien in just 3 slices.Im gunna get the wife to put one loaf on this weekends shopping list and theres no harm in trying it out is there.Have some for me dinner on monday with cooked meat instead of the usual sub roll.then test my bs 2 hours after.Might not even like it in which case that would be problem solved and back to the drawing board so to speak.All trial and error.£1.70p for a loaf aint gunna break the bank.

Johnboy - Could I ask you to take a little while to yourself to think about the journey you are embarking upon.

Like many, many others coming here at the start of their journey, you are concerned about how many things you don't like and grieving over those you do like, but may not be able to have for a while, at least. That's natural. But. And it's quite a big but; I would urge you to open your mind to trying, or re-trying some foods you may have rejected in the past, in the light of your new condition. For example, if bread really has an impact on your bloods, then you have to look upon it differently. Perhaps you need to give it up for a while, or accept you only eat it in extremely limited quantities.

In my view, you need to get your positive head on your shoulders and start looking for alternatives, but, without the default setting that you won't like the alternatives. You would be surprised by how many people have discovered that vegetables are actually rather nice when they have tied them again, after many years of rejecting them. There are loads of recipes on the Low Carb forum with alternatives, or other ways of cooking foods that you may find useful.

I know you are on a tight budget, but eating this way needn't be expensive. You have a freezer, and that's a massive advantage, when you can cook for a couple of meals and save one lot for another day when perhaps you can't be bothered to cook. Takeaways can be expensive, by comparison to buying the component parts. Is the issue of giving them up that you won't get a night off cooking any more, or because you will miss your fish and chips?

When I am in the UK, I usually have some time on my own, and when that's the case, I make sure I always have something nice in the freezer. By nice, I might mean curry, a casserole, kedgeree (I am fortunate I can ear rice), or chilli, so that I can create a simple meal in the time it takes to reheat a defrosted favourite, and do something simple to accompany it.

It's a real challenge at the outset Johnboy, but getting your head around the positive aspects of doing things differently is critical. If you always do the same things, the same results will occur.

Apologies if I have mis-judged your way of thinking.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Not good when you dont like veggies except for spuds and peas and mushrooms then that presents a problem.

Cant bacon be microwaved the fat drains in to the channels in the plastic rack thingy.Grilled bacon would be the same the fat juices drain in to the grill pan.
It depends on which approach you take. You probably need to make a decision. Low GI (limited wholemeal pasta and rice, potatoes and bread with low fat) or LCHF. It seems that you have foods from both diets. Or you could follow the NHS healthy plate. You will be more successful if you choose one way and stick to it. Are there any veg you haven't tried yet?

Reactions: 3 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
@ And breath i hear what you are saying buddy and i appreciate all the help i get on here.Im always up for trying something new who isnt but to eat things that i have never liked i cant do cos i know id more than likely be sick hence the not liking it in the first place.When i was a baby id owt you shoved in front of me but then i got measles at the age of 2 and that knocked me off a lot of foods which ive never eaten to this day.Ive cooked certain foods for my wife before now and the smell alone has put me off.Im going to adopt the advice that a lot have said on here and trial and error foods and see what spikes me and what doesnt.I think all in all im flustered by it and who wouldnt be its a big thing.Something to adjust to and yes i am trying to be positive about it i just need time.I have other things on my mind as well like the up coming op i have to have at some point and i guess thats floored me a double whammy.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It depends on which approach you take. You probably need to make a decision. Low GI (limited wholemeal pasta and rice, potatoes and bread with low fat) or LCHF. It seems that you have foods from both diets. Or you could follow the NHS healthy plate. You will be more successful if you choose one way and stick to it. Are there any veg you haven't tried yet?

Nope ive tried em all in the past.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know you are on a tight budget, but eating this way needn't be expensive. You have a freezer, and that's a massive advantage, when you can cook for a couple of meals and save one lot for another day when perhaps you can't be bothered to cook. Takeaways can be expensive, by comparison to buying the component parts. Is the issue of giving them up that you won't get a night off cooking any more, or because you will miss your fish and chips?

Yeah thats true.Ive never really been a good cook though i can survive so to speak but usually simple ready meals have been my forte.The wife used to be the cook untill she became disabled.We only have a take away once per week which id look on as a treat its not every day sorta thing.I remember substituting fish and chips for an omelete and i nearly sicked it back up again taught me never to have an omelet from that place again.Not being able to have bread is a blow cos such as when we go for a weekly day trip i usually plump for a toasty or sumat like that.Its just a case of going in a cafe and there must be sumat on the menu that i can have thats not bad for me.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was there as well.
Things change with time though, it took me a year to learn cabbage was my friend, and sprouts didn't come out of satan's bottom to get his own back on christmas day.

LOL dear old sprouts eh i cant stand the smell of em

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeah thats true.Ive never really been a good cook though i can survive so to speak but usually simple ready meals have been my forte.The wife used to be the cook untill she became disabled.We only have a take away once per week which id look on as a treat its not every day sorta thing.I remember substituting fish and chips for an omelete and i nearly sicked it back up again taught me never to have an omelet from that place again.Not being able to have bread is a blow cos such as when we go for a weekly day trip i usually plump for a toasty or sumat like that.Its just a case of going in a cafe and there must be sumat on the menu that i can have thats not bad for me.

It would be worthwhile trying a home made omelette, so that you know what's in it. That could be your mushrooms, some cheese, some leftover meats - almost anything. It takes a few minutes to make and a 2 or 3 egg omellete (each) makes it a budget friendly meal, usually.

As for your days out; do you like bacon and egg? English breakfast sort of thing? Many, many places do all day breakfasts at a tight price point. You may not be able to tolerate the baked beans initially, but you can try testing afterwards and see how it goes. The good old fry-up is often seen as one of the highlights for newly diagnosed folks.

Curiously enough, I'll be having an omellette tonight.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ And breath i hear what you are saying buddy and i appreciate all the help i get on here.Im always up for trying something new who isnt but to eat things that i have never liked i cant do cos i know id more than likely be sick hence the not liking it in the first place.When i was a baby id owt you shoved in front of me but then i got measles at the age of 2 and that knocked me off a lot of foods which ive never eaten to this day.Ive cooked certain foods for my wife before now and the smell alone has put me off.Im going to adopt the advice that a lot have said on here and trial and error foods and see what spikes me and what doesnt.I think all in all im flustered by it and who wouldnt be its a big thing.Something to adjust to and yes i am trying to be positive about it i just need time.I have other things on my mind as well like the up coming op i have to have at some point and i guess thats floored me a double whammy.

It's all in your mind, John.

I am an extraordinarily fussy eater. I drive myself and my family mad with my likes and dislikes. I have refused to eat cheese for over 60 years. Cheese of any sort except the stuff they put in cheese footballs at Christmas. 60 years of a total belief that I hate it and it dries in my throat and makes me heave. Recently I had to find a way to increase my calories without increasing carbs, and cheese was the only thing I could think of. Yukkie yuk. However, I put some Red Leicester on my salad, closed my eyes, took a deep breath, dipped it in a load of mayo and ate it. I now eat it with all my salads and enjoy it. I had a similar experience years ago with mushrooms, which again I had refused to eat in the life-long belief I hated them. One meal time a grilled mushroom had fallen on my plate at some point. I didn't know, thought it was something else, and ate it. It was delicious. I have eaten them almost daily since then. Again, I have always hated chicken and refused to eat it. Earlier this year I was persuaded to give it a go, did so, and enjoyed it. My next test will be turkey on December 25th. All my adult life I have had steak instead of turkey, when all the rest of the family have turkey. This year I am building up to trying it. I must also do something about my life long hatred of all nuts and anything containing nuts.

It can be done.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It would be worthwhile trying a home made omelette, so that you know what's in it. That could be your mushrooms, some cheese, some leftover meats - almost anything. It takes a few minutes to make and a 2 or 3 egg omellete (each) makes it a budget friendly meal, usually.

As for your days out; do you like bacon and egg? English breakfast sort of thing? Many, many places do all day breakfasts at a tight price point. You may not be able to tolerate the baked beans initially, but you can try testing afterwards and see how it goes. The good old fry-up is often seen as one of the highlights for newly diagnosed folks.

Curiously enough, I'll be having an omellette tonight.

Never tried cooking an omellette before

Yes i love bacon and egg and sausages i never thought about an all day brekkie cheers for that the answer was right there and i couldnt see it lol.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never tried cooking an omellette before

Yes i love bacon and egg and sausages i never thought about an all day brekkie cheers for that the answer was right there and i couldnt see it lol.

An omellete is pretty straightforward. Good old Jamie does a good walk through. Watch to the end, where he talks about things you can add.

Youtube is wonderful for cooking tips, if you're not sure. The http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ is also fab for recipes.

Experiment.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah im a ****** for tomato sauce always have been sauce on this sauce on that so to speak.Yet i dont like tomato's

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Watch the toast, the baked beans, (the sauce has a lot of sugar), and the sausage may (will) be a cheap and cheerful type with a lot of cereal filler, rather than meat.

I can take or leave baked beans not really fussed with them.toast well a decent helping of bacon eggs and sausage id not feel like eating the toast.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Watch the tomato sauce on that, and don't go mad on the sausage. Bacon and egg, mushrooms are good.
Or do your own, and buy decent sausages.

I usually find 2 sausages and 2 rashers of bacon with mushrooms and an egg to be enough for me and maybe 1 slice of toast.these days i cant eat large portions like i used to something like 30 years ago.

What do you call decent sausage ? we buy ours from the same place as we buy the cooked meats a stall in the market hall

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
'Decent' sausages are meat, without cereal fillers.
Ask the market stall holder what the contents are.

Oh right i see.Its easy to see that with packaged sausages in the supermarket cos it tells you all the info on the pack or at least it should do

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what i'm ok with and what i end up at is 2 different things. not so bothered about pre bed because i'm normally ready for bed at 9 so its always hovering between 8.5 and 10.3.

We're still trying to get blasted fasting one down to 7 for a week, managed 8.3 this morning. But we're still tinkering with long acting, Victoza and glicerade so just increased long to 13u at night but still no rapid after week off it, so actually its not doing bad. so happy not to have to jab myself those extra 3 times.

I had a 5.6 on friday night before my tea, dont know how that happened i'd eaten 2 handfuls of peanuts in the afternoon as well.

so if i ever get to 7 that will be fine by me. Would still like to know how pooped my pancreas is though.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't cook them for so long. Most veg smells bad when over cooked. I never ate veg till I left mum and dads and discovered lightly cooked veg.
I love most veg now.

I usually cook em in the microwave she gets a small bag pierce a hole and shove in microwave for as long as it says.Not often she has em though

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
We are worried about you Nyxks. It's time to sort your basal out, what insulin are you on?

I'm on Lantus (was on 100 units of lantus scaling it down but still trying to find the balance) at night and Humalog with meals 10 units sliding scale (depends on what my numbers are with meal if I take any or not and if I do how much above base I am with a 1:10 ratio

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on Lantus (was on 100 units of lantus scaling it down but still trying to find the balance) at night and Humalog with meals 10 units sliding scale (depends on what my numbers are with meal if I take any or not and if I do how much above base I am with a 1:10 ratio
This will help as an overview to submit to your dr then.

The T1 here suggest doing your basal first
The basal testing link has the correct procedure
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.60873/#post-583801

The workbooks 1&2 will help with your bolus for carbs to insulin ratio
There is also a link to a free online course on the page that might help too