jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
jack412, i,m already on two meds. pre tea 14.5 two hours later 29.8
i,m going to ring the surgery tomorrow
I would. It's no good having numbers like that. Depending on your dose. You may be able to just increase what you are already on.
This will give you more time to get a meal plan you can live with and have the least carb. I would also work with a dietitian to help you plan. From what I have read here the hospital diabetic clinics seem the best.

Once your BG is in range, you are going to feel a lot better, you won't know yourself with how well you'll feel.

Then I would fine tune my diet, with the rule that it's something you can eat ongoing.

I just had a look on your page, are you still metformin 1000mg gliclazide 40mg ?
See your dr but I would go slow release 2000 met as it's best to max that out first. and there is lots of room to increase your gli, the max dose of that is 360. I don't think you will need to change your meds, just the dose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not particularly happy at all with my pre meal readings, but I'm pleased with the fact that I rarely have a big after meal spike, usually it's fairly level and sometimes it's a "reverse spike"! :p When it's high its usually because I've started off that way before my meal.

My lowest levels tend to be around midnight after I've had my 2 SR metformin between 7 & 8pm, and then they tend to creep up late morning and afternoon which makes me suspect that the slow release isn't covering a full 24 hours? And I definitely have an over-helpful liver which gives me a very unwelcome dump if I don't eat soon enough after getting up. I love what my meter readings tell me about what's going on.

Last 30 days averages:
fasting: 6.4
pre-meal: 6.7 :(
after meal: 7.0 :)
overall: 6.8
(I can set my high/low target levels on my meter, and these are also used on the software when I upload the data:

30_day_readings.gif

Most of the bigger blips on the graph are when I've had a bug or a migraine, but the two biggest were a month ago and last week when I sat on the naughty step eating a very yummy piece of syrupy stem ginger.:eek:

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I"m happy around 5 its a nice middle number in general not to high and not to low

Waking 5 would be nice over the 2 to 3 that is my normal of late

Pre meal around 4 to 5 i'm happy with

Post meal i'd be happy with anything in the 6s instead of the average 7s

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Well seeing as im newly diagnosed and not yet genned up on it all id like to aim for between 4 and 9.Ive been told be reliable sources namely one district nurse who is also a diabetic nurse that the ideal range is no lower than 4 and no higher than 9,but to be comfortable 6 is a good reading.I tested last Thursday afternoon after id got the news that im diabetic and it was 6.3 which i was over the moon about.Then just for the hell of it i tested yesterday morning and it read 9.0.I cant do anymore readings yet till i get my own equipment i cant go using the wifes test strips and lancets or shed have none left.So thats on hold till i see the diabetic nurse on Thursday morning and get me own stuff.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I"m happy around 5 its a nice middle number in general not to high and not to low

Blimey Nyxks you got a reading of 2 or 3 ???? its a wonder you didnt go in to a Hypo or should that be Hyper i gotta get genned up on them.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fasting is between 6-6.8 but rises to 7s with heat. :(
Happy with pre prandial which is normally somewhere in 5s by mid morning.
Goes up to 7.5 directly after meal and gradually goes down to 6.
Don't like it to go above 7.5 after food. Hence no take out.

Now thats gunna be the hardest part for me giving up the take out that we have once per week :(

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
i would like to be under 8 but for me at the moment i,m around 11.2 before meals and 16.4 two hours after eating

You sound just like my wife her readings are like that but she eats alsorts of **** food.Being disabled she takes comfort out of eating crisps and choccy etc.I've tried to tell her and so have the carers and the doctor and the diebetic team but she wont listen.(Horse to water and all that).I could so easily grab a bin bag and chuck it all in the bin but that would cause a massive ww3.No win situation.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blimey Nyxks you got a reading of 2 or 3 ???? its a wonder you didnt go in to a Hypo or should that be Hyper i gotta get genned up on them.
Nkxys would be hypo with those numbers, you got it right first shot

Your morning Is too high and is normally the last to come down with diet. See how you go, a lot here do the lchf read and watch video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Crickey 29.8 is danger zone and you deffo need to see the doc there.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nkxys would be hypo with those numbers, you got it right first shot

Your morning Is too high and is normally the last to come down with diet. See how you go, a lot here do the lchf read and watch video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Diabetic Coma is more the word id use its a wonder that hasnt happened.My wife was in hospital once and her levels went dangerously close to coma levels the staff were monitoring her like nobodys business and fortunately they saved the day.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Diabetic Coma is more the word id use its a wonder that hasnt happened.My wife was in hospital once and her levels went dangerously close to coma levels the staff were monitoring her like nobodys business and fortunately they saved the day.

We are worried about you Nyxks. It's time to sort your basal out, what insulin are you on?
There is a basal link here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.60873/#post-583801

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ally what did you eat for dinner to make you spike like that ? Please let us know and we can advise you x

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i had for tea, half tin of curry couple mouthfulls of rice and a few chunks of pineapple

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not an expert Ally but everything you ate are not diabetic friendly !
Rice is a definite no no as well as the tinned curry and pineapple is full of sugar especially if it was ripe.
Please look through the thread " what have you eaten today " to get some better ideas of what is a suitable meal. You have got very high BS readings and your next step will probably be insulin so please try and change your diet to avoid this .

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not particularly happy at all with my pre meal readings, but I'm pleased with the fact that I rarely have a big after meal spike, usually it's fairly level and sometimes it's a "reverse spike"! :p When it's high its usually because I've started off that way before my meal.

My lowest levels tend to be around midnight after I've had my 2 SR metformin between 7 & 8pm, and then they tend to creep up late morning and afternoon which makes me suspect that the slow release isn't covering a full 24 hours? And I definitely have an over-helpful liver which gives me a very unwelcome dump if I don't eat soon enough after getting up. I love what my meter readings tell me about what's going on.

Last 30 days averages:
fasting: 6.4
pre-meal: 6.7 :(
after meal: 7.0 :)
overall: 6.8
(I can set my high/low target levels on my meter, and these are also used on the software when I upload the data:

View attachment 6469
Most of the bigger blips on the graph are when I've had a bug or a migraine, but the two biggest were a month ago and last week when I sat on the naughty step eating a very yummy piece of syrupy stem ginger.:eek:

Robbity

I'm not familiar with Metformin, or it's SR cousin, but I have possibly read the SR variant can be taken any time, and is less critical to being accompanied by food? If that's the case, would it be worth experimenting by taking your Metformin just before getting into bed, to maximise the waking hours benefits?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had for tea, half tin of curry couple mouthfulls of rice and a few chunks of pineapple

Hi @ally1

I agree with @connie104 . If your curry was from a tin it will probably have a lot of added nasties, mainly sugars , starches and preservatives added to it, and pineapple chunks suggests they were also from a tin and perhaps in syrup?

You are best eating pure, unadulterated food. Do you have farmer's markets near you that you can buy simple, inexpensive food from? I fear you might not get the help from your GP if it is your food intake which needs addressing.

If you need help in changing your menus or ideas where you can buy different foods, please let us know.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i definately need help re food, i did see the dietician last week and she was no help

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Now thats gunna be the hardest part for me giving up the take out that we have once per week :(
Don't know what you eat. I like LCHF and have stuck with this since day one. I had several things which I needed to sort out. Obviously high bs and weight. LCHF sorted out both for me. For the first 3 months I was really strict. No take out, dessert, starchy carbs and no booze. I tried a Thai curry after about 3 months with a tiny portion of boiled rice and realised that I was disappointed with the taste (so I've never had rice again since) and the effect on my bs was horrendous. Same with pasta. I tried Indian with a naan. My bs hated it! :( I miss pizza but I like being lighter (3 stone lighter actually) and I have the occasional very small piece of cake. I have 2 squares of dark choccie a day. I have 2 recipes for LCHF dessert and I have this 1-2 times a week. I can eat fish and chips if I only eat half the batter and have a young child's portion of chips. It only spikes me to 8.5 but I only do this rarely. Twice in 6 months. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. Well you will get some excellent advice here. Its where I got all my help from!

Can you tell us what help you need most? Is it just help with food? What we drink can also affect our blood sugars. Do you drink fruit squashes or juices perhaps in this hot weather?

Ping us some questions and someone is sure to reply and send you some tried and trusted suggestions.

Its great that you want to make the changes, Ally. I'm so sorry you've been let down by the dietrician but the cavalry is here to help you now :) Fire away!

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know what you eat. I like LCHF and have stuck with this since day one. I had several things which I needed to sort out. Obviously high bs and weight. LCHF sorted out both for me. For the first 3 months I was really strict. No take out, dessert, starchy carbs and no booze. I tried a Thai curry after about 3 months with a tiny portion of boiled rice and realised that I was disappointed with the taste (so I've never had rice again since) and the effect on my bs was horrendous. Same with pasta. I tried Indian with a naan. My bs hated it! :( I miss pizza but I like being lighter (3 stone lighter actually) and I have the occasional very small piece of cake. I have 2 squares of dark choccie a day. I have 2 recipes for LCHF dessert and I have this 1-2 times a week. I can eat fish and chips if I only eat half the batter and have a young child's portion of chips. It only spikes me to 8.5 but I only do this rarely. Twice in 6 months. Hope this helps.

Good old @Scandichic! I knew she'd come to the rescue :) Her support and advice helped me tremendously when I started out.

Reactions: 4 people