Wheat in Burgers

ghost_whistler

This may not be entirely the right place to ask this, and it may have been mentioned here before I can't quite remember.

Is it true that any burger made in the UK, whether at the local butchers or some fast food corporate, has to include a minimume percentage of wheat in some form? If so how much.

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No not all do, but homemade burger's are easy to make and very tasty too.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, agree with RRB - make your own! But if it's eating out you're worried about - just ask what's in them.

Reactions: azure

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This may not be entirely the right place to ask this, and it may have been mentioned here before I can't quite remember.

Is it true that any burger made in the UK, whether at the local butchers or some fast food corporate, has to include a minimume percentage of wheat in some form? If so how much.

Thanks

It's more normally a minimum amount of meat.
72% if it's beef.
'economy burger' can be about 30% each of pork and chicken.

'meat' has a very interesting definition, but at some stage it was actually part of an animal at least.
Don't ask which bit.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wasn't until the guy in front of me in the butchers asked if they had gluten free burgers!

Sausages tend to be a lot higher in fillers, so the gluten free burgers need to be prepared in an area away from other products, and prepared with machinery that is not cross contaminated.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wasn't until the guy in front of me in the butchers asked if they had gluten free burgers!

Perhaps he has coeliac disease and was just checking. There's certainly no rule about burgers having to contain wheat.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Perhaps he has coeliac disease and was just checking. There's certainly no rule about burgers having to contain wheat.

I'm seen the surface floured to prevent the patties sticking when being pressed, so they don't qualify as gluten free either.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you don't want to make your own I've had burgers from both Tesco and Occado with nothing but meat, salt & pepper in them, but sometimes they can be quite elusive.

(And yes I do sometimes make my own too...:wideyed:)

Robbity