When Did It Happen? No Idea.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
During a routine medical, I was tested for HbA1c in November 2009, when it was 5.5% (37). The doctor, following ADA guidelines here in America, classified this as "normal" and I was not warned in any way. Then, for years, I foolishly skipped the annual medical. In February of this year (2017) I finally had the much-skipped medical and was shocked to be diagnosed with T2D with an A1C of 8.3% (67). (I have since brought my blood glucose back down to normal levels with diet.)

So out of academic curiosity, I wondered when it might be that I went into the diabetic range. It could have been anytime since early 2010 basically. The only medical data I have is this weight chart, below. For background: at the left hand side of the chart you will see huge weight loss in 2008-2009 and this is because of dramatic stress during the terminal illness of my father when I was one of his carers. It can probably be discounted as a diabetes clue.

As you will see there was a weight loss of 4 kilos during a three-month period in spring 2012. I remember noticing it at the time and thinking, "what the heck?" since I have a thin body type, was not trying to lose weight, and had made no lifestyle changes. Although that is a fairly modest weight loss, I now think it is possible that I tipped into diabetes then -- a full five years ago. But my weight then went up again. So, who knows???

(The dramatic weight loss at the right-hand side of the graph is what happened this year when I successfully employed the low-carb diet to reverse my diabetes.)

KR-EForcaxsSrXOshUv5WJi5Vb5KwZvPqSc1xwuF5MWe9scz3RlVp3ORjwVKRiSIfi7SOO7SjoI0Hvp7VpW1c6RQI5nBAUGkz6U0T8IJ77RcCJhlGxvW7Z9rP1b7BsHHh37-4mKAUuKbRzikgEMPGJDI7Fx0n-vUC_yddHx0rCKX37HyMfsf7llVPiteUjaw8rSajRvQCf8tnJYVIOlWBetQ8iajqqUfwurnzdB56_3C2RyfFyGVS2g07oKr88wRI4DY09yi8YEnLLXacA82NhKLOPlO-dMtu1sGIcVzkqh3PSAHm8old4n92m6eguUvXXUCrQtt8AiPUgnfTEmeMY_MNR3Fi-Url54sXrLa8LQKbo07Cl-eG32xjg4plb3STL-8LoDfo2osAe_mjMHyveM_gEqbQ9IHctmVSc5f-35fL86cg3JWtk_28dgOMdgHsEPYCf8IgdJ4wATbIUjv9KetxbN9Qs3gB1KIyuJ99gvxE2eHupJ4kAIBcoXVXNWNLov-rMzIerrQHxODWlUCI2oOST9wmwRd72gk1a0PdCwU9QiOAWYBtJycBp3ow-hBCJdYpvoGFrFuHs7vKBy0klneo_shx4daeY753N5T_JwNL4uvr0OhpUiPpnIwTPVdHjRXz1d9jZHl-JQ-TSY36PGSIm3cBggs_b8=w881-h382-no

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Many things happen in our lives that we will be unable to explain. My diagnosis came as the result of a medical for an insurance back in 1997 but I had been telling my GP about my thirst since the 80s when my weight was about 13st, good for my height. I can still hear the doctor just saying "do you pee regularly" and having replied in the affirmative, no further action. There had been several family members with diabetes so I was aware of the thirst thing and how they counted carbs. I wish I had listened to myself when on diagnosis being told NOT and in no uncertain terms. It's all in the past and I know better now.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I Think a shock can cause many kinds of imbalances and malfunctions in our bodies , maybe your grief took such a toll on your body that you became diabetic. But it could also be from a period after the initial shock if you had a sedentary period with unhealthy eating . In my case I believe the sedentary and unhealthy eating lifestyle and some specific medication all together created my diabetes , and by sedentary in my case meant hardly moving at all .

But anyway congratulations that you’ve managed to get your numbers back in the normal range . That’s a very fine job you’ve done

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know of someone who had a heart operation ( he had to go to The Royal Brompton Hospital and a vein was taken from his leg and replaced the blocked artery) at the time, with routine blood tests, he was diagnosed with type 2, he said he was shocked at the time, as it was on top of having the heart operation and still going strong 10 years later.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just noting the 40" waist measurement.
More support for the view that this is far more important than overall weight.
Well done on the reversal!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just noting the 40" waist measurement.
More support for the view that this is far more important than overall weight.
Well done on the reversal!

Thanks. I have read some research advocating that all men should be told the important thing is not weight, but waist size, and that 40 inches is the danger point! (Not just for diabetes, but for all sorts of health issues.)

That sounds awfully simplistic but in a way, someone like me (very thin morphologically) might have benefited from a simple message like that one. For people like me, BMI is bunk (see signature). I was clearly overweight! I never paid much attention to weight (edited to remove incorrect statement that I "never weighed myself"), but I did buy trousers from time to time and the ballooning of my waistline was something I could not conceal from myself. Mind you, toward the end of that phase in my life, I was buying "elastic waistband" trousers that were officially 38 inches and I was shocked when I measured myself after diagnosis and found that I was actually 40 inches!

Clearly many of us became diabetic much earlier than our diagnosis. Plus, I had no symptoms when diagnosed, so if I had not happened to decide to have a complete medical, it could possibly have continued uncontrolled for several more years.

In a sneaky way I am glad that I probably lived for several years (it could easily be five years or more) with uncontrolled T2D. I had fun! Insouciance is an enjoyable feeling in itself. I cannot imagine ever being that care-free again (but I am working on it!). Of course it is also great to be self-aware about illness and to deal with it successfully. Also, I am in much better physical shape than probably any time since my early 30s.

Very mixed feelings!

Last edited:

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do agree that keeping an eye on your waist is a really important thing to do - and so simple!
I have read that a good rule of thumb is that a persons waist should be no more than half their height. So for someone short like me, at 5’’4’ that means no more than 32 inch waist. When my carb levels, and therefore BG levels creep up, my waist is the first thing to suffer...

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that a good rule of thumb is that a persons waist should be no more than half their height. So for someone short like me, at 5’’4’ that means no more than 32 inch waist. When my carb levels, and therefore BG levels creep up, my waist is the first thing to suffer...

That's an interesting metric. In my case that would be 38" and that is a threshold I only crossed quite recently, judging from the trouser-buying. I would say, it was less than two years ago -- and topped out at 40" at time of T2D diagnosis. Now, after nine months on the low-carb diet, I am 34", as measured a couple of days ago.

I can't say that I feel much "fitter" because I never felt particularly unfit. But I do feel more like "myself" somehow.

I've had to take my business suits to the tailor twice to have the trousers taken in. Another inch or two and it will have to be completely new suits.... (I hate buying clothes!)

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had to take my business suits to the tailor twice to have the trousers taken in. Another inch or two and it will have to be completely new suits.... (I hate buying clothes!)

I hate buying clothes too, but actually didn't mind too much when they were 2 sizes smaller after I got my BG sorted! Actually enjoy shopping in small doses now :)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate buying clothes too, but actually didn't mind too much when they were 2 sizes smaller after I got my BG sorted! Actually enjoy shopping in small doses now :)

I think it runs in the family. My sister, who lives in London, had much the same attitude as me but recently (in her mid-50s) hired a "clothing consultant." Apparently they were given access to a department store during closing-hours and went in together, and she tried out all sorts of clothes and was given positive feedback and a lot of advice. Expensive to put it mildly, and my sister is not affluent, but I admire her for doing what she did.

Me? As long as I am wearing something or other, I have really never cared. Driving some of the family nuts, of course.

Reactions: caroline_92