When did you get induced?

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I am 35 weeks pregnant and next week I will be getting my induction date. I have good control with a hba1c of 34, I'm newly diagnosed so probably honeymooning. They originally mentioned to me that I'd be induced at 38 weeks but now say 39. However this will mean induction on 22nd December in the evening which then leaves a weekend and 2 bank holidays to labour and have baby. I know this means less staff and less consultants so am a bit anxious about this. I'm wondering if we have any say in when we are induced? My daughter was born at 38+4 when I wasn't diabetic and she is fine, just thinking they might not let me start a few days earlier to save being in labour when the staffing is less.

Anyone remember when they were induced and if they had any say in it?

Thanks

Reactions: himtoo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn’t diabetic when I had my son, so my induction was because he was late, not for health reasons. I went in on 23rd of December thinking aww a Xmas Eve baby. However my son had different ideas and couldn’t be persuaded out until 7am on Xmas Day. I didn’t have any say in the date of induction. Your case may be different and my son will be 22 this Xmas so a while ago now, but I just wanted to reassure you that there seemed to be plenty of staff around. All the best for your little bundle!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maternity is acute care, there are never fewer staff over the bank holidays.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I just want to add a hug for you and your family [hug]

i am tagging @claire1991 for some support .

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
36 weeks. But my placenta was dodgy.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My first who’s 7 I was induced at 38 weeks I didn’t really question that as I was only 17 and naive
This time I was worried but my team let me decide when I would of been induced they said anything after 37 weeks is fine
I was induced at 35 due to placenta possible issues anyway and my son is now 6 months old :)
Good luck

Reactions: myarnton1

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @himtoo

My daughter was born at exactly 37 weeks though she chose that herself and I had an emergency c-section.
They were going to induce me at 38 weeks.
Speak to your team about this and tell them your fears.
Don’t let them persuade you, it is their job to advise not to make decisions for you.

Reactions: himtoo

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only thing your care team can do is offer you advice based on the trusts guidelines and evidence that is pertinent to your current state of health. They can not force you to do anything unless some w*nky doc starts shroud waving and presents you with Hobson’s choice. They are the ones with God complexes and think they have power over you.

Never forget you are the one doing the allowing.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was induced at 37 weeks on 19th December but he was eventually born via emergency c-section at 11.50pm on 22nd! We were both fine so got to go home on 24th in time for Christmas

My control was also perfect throughout pregnancy with the consultant querying whether I was actually diabetic

Good luck for whatever happens!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
The only thing your care team can do is offer you advice based on the trusts guidelines and evidence that is pertinent to your current state of health. They can not force you to do anything unless some w*nky doc starts shroud waving and presents you with Hobson’s choice. They are the ones with God complexes and think they have power over you.

Never forget you are the one doing the allowing.
Totally agree and if you are lucky you have a good team around you supporting you with your decisions! Good luck! xx

jade88

I was give my date at my 36
Week growth scan everything seemed ok so was booked in at 38 weeks because that’s my hospitals policy.