When do they start you on insulin?

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am off work for another month because the doc is concerned my bloods are showing symptoms of type 1, but right now I am being treated for type 2. What exactly are they waiting for? I am testing regular and I feel like crud all the time still, I am limiting my carbs exercising and doing what ever I can to keep my BG low. But it seems to be making little to no difference, sometimes it is really low about 5, usually in the morning, but most days it is around 10 - mid teens. It is upsetting me because I don't see the doc until the end of the month and I was told NOT to monitor my BG. I am really concerned that it is doing some damage inside me.

Reactions: 4 people

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feel your pain EveryCloud, my BG is normally high teens and been told that sooner or later i will end up injecting doesn't seem to me like my meds are working at the moment and the Docs just keep increasing the doses and never mind that with permanent high BG you feel crud, headaches, tiredness sore feet the list goes on lol don't wait to see the GP go hassle them until they take notice if you feel bad go back don't put up with it !!

Reactions: 6 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks jode72. I have said it before in another post, call me mad, I just wish they would start me on insulin sooner rather than later so I can get my routine sorted and get back to work. being off this close to Chrimbo is crippling me financially!

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am the same don't care if I have to inject just want to be able to control BG better and feel good!!! shhhhhhh don't mention the Crimbo word I am trying to ignore it for a little longer !!!

stephiesut

I was started on insulin when all tablet and non insulin injections stopped working. Even on insulin my levels are high. Last night were so high my meter couldnt take the reading. Its a slow process. I was diagnosed type 2 about 2 years ago and started on insulin a short while ago. I dont eat a very carby diet. There are lots of options to try before insulin though, there are other tablets than metformin, and a couple of non insulin injections.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a letter today to make another appointment to get more blood taken. Human pin cushion right here... lol. Fingers crossed it is because they are thinking of changing me treatment that obviously isn't working.

Reactions: 2 people

stephiesut

I know what you mean about human pin cushion! I have to inject twice daily (will be three times come monday) and test 8 times a day!
I hope they find a treatment that works for you soon.

kelaarts

Hi Every Cloud,

Hope they sort you out soon. I was quite upset when they first put me on insulin because it made me feel like I was a bad diabetic. Since being on insulin I have felt so much better, and have far greater control over my sugars and lifestyle.

Also, don't always run and get your blood taken unless you know what it's for. Some letters are sent out automatically, I received one just after my annual review so I just ignored it.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a really weird mindset at the moment. I am kinda scared about it, but also kinda want to take it. I feel it would give me better control, but I have no idea what is going on inside me. I know I am insulin resistant and also that my pancreas is stopping. So when my sugars are high, I keep wondering what is going on. Is my pancreas not producing enough, am I resisting the insulin? Is the Metformin working? would my BG be even higher if I wasn't taking it? All questions that keep rumbling around my head...

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks jode72. I have said it before in another post, call me mad, I just wish they would start me on insulin sooner rather than later so I can get my routine sorted and get back to work. being off this close to Chrimbo is crippling me financially!

I started on insulin in July and it was the best thing that happened as far as I was concerned. I can't understand why your GP has signed you off work though? I haven't had any time off work cos of D despite having very high bg. Perhaps my GP is just not that sympathetic!

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Started insulin on Friday. Novamix 30. Building up my dosage but feel a lot better all ready. I suffer from ibs and gastric reflux, oral meds caused me so many problems

Reactions: 8 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I have a really weird mindset at the moment. I am kinda scared about it, but also kinda want to take it. I feel it would give me better control, but I have no idea what is going on inside me. I know I am insulin resistant and also that my pancreas is stopping. So when my sugars are high, I keep wondering what is going on. Is my pancreas not producing enough, am I resisting the insulin? Is the Metformin working? would my BG be even higher if I wasn't taking it? All questions that keep rumbling around my head...
I've been on insulin for nearly a year now. Was on max doses of meds for diabetes and take other meds. The great thing about insulin is no side effects or interactions with foods or meds. Careful monitoring and sensible eating will make hypos neglible and T2s usually have the safety net of some beta cells producing insulin. Always carry ID that says your an insulin user and some glucose tabs. Try not to worry.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have they done c peptide or gad tests?

Sorry, but these to me are a minimum basics to find out the starting place for treatments or referrals.

After that there are NICE guidelines in diagram form that anybody can google to find out how the GP's should then prescribe meds....

However, do lower carbs to get your levels lower is also a starting point for the patients to take control. This is not all what GPms can prescribe. Patients must also try for themselves..

brummybri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on insulin for nearly a year now. Was on max doses of meds for diabetes and take other meds. The great thing about insulin is no side effects or interactions with foods or meds. Careful monitoring and sensible eating will make hypos neglible and T2s usually have the safety net of some beta cells producing insulin. Always carry ID that says your an insulin user and some glucose tabs. Try not to worry.
Glad to hear that Insulin has helped you, I was put onto Humulin 1 in September 14 after 15 years of tablets. I have not noticed any real changes. My BG is lower and I have put on weight, which is the opposite to what I need.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bri, I have bucked the trend and am losing weight. Changed my diet and Humulin M3 in a mixed insulin, rapid and long lasting insulins combined. I have been titrated up to 88 units a day and is working ace. Good luck :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
All tablet formed meds made me ill .
Bit like @leeemerick
Plus digestion problems and issues confirmed .
Coeliac and diverticulitis .
Gastritis in stomach after tests done .
Insulin via blood stream only option left for me .

Works a treat - feel great sooner and quicker .
No weight gain either .
Do watch and monitor myself like a hawk though .
Keep active and stick with routine that works for me . :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All tablet formed meds made me ill .
Bit like @leeemerick
Plus digestion problems and issues confirmed .
Coeliac and diverticulitis .
Gastritis in stomach after tests done .
Insulin via blood stream only option left for me .

Works a treat - feel great sooner and quicker .
No weight gain either .
Do watch and monitor myself like a hawk though .
Keep active and stick with routine that works for me . :)
Same here, mega diverticulitis problem, lots of surgery and have less than half my colon left now. Colostomy reversed after ruptured bowel abscess and could not tolerate any oral meds after this. Nearly killed me (twice in ICU).

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anna, did you get fobbed off with IBS as a possible diagnosis ? My GPs dished that one out on me quick and felt let down and they in their own sort of way said sorry and as soon as I complain of any digestive problems it is an instant referral or an imminent admission to hospital.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Same here, mega diverticulitis problem, lots of surgery and have less than half my colon left now. Colostomy reversed after ruptured bowel abscess and could not tolerate any oral meds after this. Nearly killed me (twice in ICU).
You poor man - the pain from this can be horrendous .
It can hit me from half hour of eating .
Eat then digest the food trigger it off with both of
these conditions .
Infected pockets with the diverticulitis flare up .
Wheat and gluten intollerances too also for myself .
Pain in the rear - literally ! :mad::rolleyes:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anna, did you get fobbed off with IBS as a possible diagnosis ? My GPs dished that one out on me quick and felt let down and they in their own sort of way said sorry and as soon as I complain of any digestive problems it is an instant referral or an imminent admission to hospital.
Initially YES they did say it was all IBS - (as far back as 12 years ago)
Until a severe infected diverticulitis flare up put me in hospital .
Tests were done - and BINGO diverticulitis / coeliac diagnosed .
Have all the trigger symptoms and know them well too .