1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When do you take your basal (long acting) Insulin?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Klang180, Nov 13, 2012.

?

When do you take your Basal (long acting) insulin?

1. Before Breakfast

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Before Lunch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Before Dinner

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Before Bedtime

31 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. Neicy0412

Neicy0412 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can' vote as you haven't given an option for splitting the dose, I take mine both before breakfast and with my evening meal, approx 12 hours apart

2. Lucypieee

Lucypieee · Well-Known Member

I take Levemir twice a day. 32 units each time.

I was on Lantus for a while, but that didn't have much of an effect on my BG levels. Levemir has been much more effective. I tend to take mine in the morning, when I get into work, (9am/10am), then 12 hours later.

3. McMittens

McMittens Type 1 · Active Member

Around 8:00pm ish every night :)

4. JMM

JMM Type 1 · Active Member

I used to take my Basal Insulin at night but found I had high readings in the morning, I think it was too strong after first injecting and after moving to morning it it much easier to control. I have also found my Blood Sugars mucg easier to control and I don't need as much.

5. Pearsall85

Pearsall85 · Well-Known Member

I'm currently taking it around 9pm but I'm looking to change it with my consultant as around late afternoon the next day I feel it's running out and it's making it difficult to have anything to eat of an evening if I'm hungry.

6. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Impossible to help with your poll, as I take 2 injections of long acting per day.

7. Sugar free Stu

Sugar free Stu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have always taken mine (Lantus) at night 25u about 8pm however 3 months ago was also instructed to also take a morning shot so now 26u pm & 15u am. Does anyone else take this amount in this style of routine? When starting am shots there was no reduction to pm shot.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook