I seem like I have an excuse for everything :(

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, not at all. It just shows you have been working hard at this for a long time and you know more about your own condition than anyone else could know.

As you say, have a serious chat tomorrow. Don't let them off without giving you a plan that makes sense to you. x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Indiana, I would ask if you could try lantus to see if this gives you better control, in most cases a single dose will last 24 hours and it has a flatter profile than levemir so your less likely to experience hypo's, there's also a new basal insulin that has just come on the market called Tresiba, at least ask about them as I know you've struggled with levemir for some time.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks noblehead I'll ask about those two, I've tried lantus before and changed because it stung, I'm willing to put up with the stinging if it means I don't have to put up with this anymore!
I know that insulin is a fat storing hormone but do different ones store more fat? Since I upped my dose I've put on a few pounds.

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I know that insulin is a fat storing hormone but do different ones store more fat? Since I upped my dose I've put on a few pounds.

I wouldn't think so but I'm not the best person to tell you that, however with lantus you do tend to take a lot less insulin than you do with levemir, I know when I briefly changed from lantus to levemir my dose doubled and I still couldn't get my bg under control, my DSN said that those who do change from lantus to levemir typically inject a third more insulin.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That makes sense. I'm going to ask to change back then. I can't cope with these high doses!

Indiana x

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you switch back to Lantus I would recommend you stick with twice daily basal injections (of Lantus). It really worked for me, with once a day Lantus I was not able to cover my basal rate properly.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I was on a split dose of it before so I'll probably stick to that and hope I can have a smaller dose.

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That makes sense. I'm going to ask to change back then. I can't cope with these high doses!

Indiana x

Out of interest, what was your lantus dose before switching to levemir? The stinging you mentioned earlier is often mentioned by people using lantus (although I can't say I've noticed that much myself). I mainly inject my basal in the bum which I find is much more comfortable than the legs or arms.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Funnily enough I never noticed the sting from Lantus, but when I took an emergency Lantus injection after several weeks on the pump, I did notice a sting. I had never noticed it before.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Funnily enough I never noticed the sting from Lantus, but when I took an emergency Lantus injection after several weeks on the pump, I did notice a sting. I had never noticed it before.

I've noticed the sting if I've taken the insulin straight out of the fridge, was this the same for you Spiker if you were using the pen as a one-off?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think one way or another you need to reduce your overall insulin per day as it's encouraging weight gain. As Spiker says you can adjust the Basal split and timing as well as the bolus ratio. It could take some time to get a better balance, but try to go towards an overall reduction per day to reduce both hypos and weight gain

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No actually the Lantus pen had been sitting on my bedside table for a couple of weeks.

Interesting, strange how you never noticed it before the pump.

Occasionally I'll get to the end of the pen and there won't be enough to administer the full dose, with the insulin being cold straight from the fridge it is then that a notice a slight stinging effect, other than that don't notice it much.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest, what was your lantus dose before switching to levemir? The stinging you mentioned earlier is often mentioned by people using lantus (although I can't say I've noticed that much myself). I mainly inject my basal in the bum which I find is much more comfortable than the legs or arms.

I honestly can't remember but it certainly wasn't this much. I think it was about 20u or something like that. Numbers 20 and 18 are coming to mind.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow

Indiana x

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lantus can be quite 'stingy' to the extent that I don't want to continue injecting the rest of the dose, DSN's at GP's had never heard of this so I thought it was just me.

Indiana, I am really struggling with my weight also, I'm sure you said in another post you're size 12? But I know it's all down to how you feel in yourself. Good luck, you are working hard so deserve to achieve your goals x