When exactly is two hours after a meal?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want to check my bg two hours after a meal, do I count the time from when I started eating, or from when I finished eating, or somewhere in between? How do they do in France? A meal can take time, right? So if it takes you two hours to eat, when is the best time to test? If it is two hours from the start I could still be eating!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think it would make a huge difference unless you're eating formally or a restaurant or similar. I usually test 2 hours after I start eating, but I eat quite fast. 15mins either way is not going to make much difference in your diabetes management.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
its as the sentence goes... 2 hours after you eat. Post prandial = period after eating

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i disagree :) you start digesting what you re eating in your mouth, so it must be when you started your meal, other wise im having my sweet before my meal from now on, then eating slowly :)

Reactions: 2 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
It's a question that's always puzzled me too. I mean, I have my meal then 30 minutes after I've eaten I have say, some yoghurt and berries for dessert. It makes more sense to test from when I start eating I suppose but in that case does the dessert get counted in the test? It's a puzzlement :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's not an exact science ! If you're on insulin, that is still working for 4-5hrs so lots to consider. Also, depends what you eat, low GI, high GI, when you actually injected the insulin. Too many variables to get bogged down with exact 2hr time frames.