When have you eaten today?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us have had remarkable success with a combination of low carbs and intermittent fasting to stabilize post meal glucose/insulin and fasting glucose/insulin levels.

But it appears that the circadian rhythm is a important if not critical factor in the hormonal regulation and we may want to harness that more effectively in our journey back to health. This is one point that Dr Mercola and Dr Jason Fung did not appear to highlight in their discussion of Intermittent Fasting...and that is why they suggest skipping breakfast...I think skipping dinner may be more effective. Essentially...we are out of sync... :)

This short clip about time restricted eating (IF) from Salk Institute

And here is the full video discussing the context of the circadian circle

They have separate research on the circadian rhythm
http://www.salk.edu/news-release/powering-up-the-circadian-rhythm/

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I have been researching circadian rhythms and morningness and eveningness which I think is a very individual thing. I have just dropped from type 2 diabetes into pre-diabetes and hope to drop further by trying to observe my own rhythms. I fast 17/7. Breakfast at 10.30, last meal 5.30 and it suits me very much. I do not feel hungry at all. Obviously I still watch what I eat and run on a daily basis. You can test for morningness and eveningness on the Internet. Some people may have different fasting times maybe depending on which you are.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Long story short was diagnosed 2 years ago and given SR metformin. Didn't suit me. Moved to Two other meds neither suited. Decided to take things into my own hands. Have never been overweight and run five times a week. Trial and error and two diet and nutrition courses later have managed to get to this stage. Hope to continue.

S

Sean01

6 a.m after gym session
Off to the gym again at 10
11.30 - lunch
2.30 - second lunch
5.30 - more food
8.00 - gym (treadmill and bike)
8.40 - dinner. I will stop eating by 9 p.m.

Three gym sessions because it's a weekend/bank holiday.
Normally just one or two sessions. Trying to shift another 15-20 lbs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can miss breakfast (and run till 2-3pm without eating). No real effort, bother or hunger. Have been known to crash into a hypo at the end of that period, if I climb some stairs or something, but hey, everything has its downside.

On the other hand, expect me to miss my evening meal and go to bed hungry?
No f'ing way. I cannot sleep when hungry, which leads to insomnia, erratic blood glucose the next day, mood swings and an angry kind of hunger. I think the technical term is HANGRY,

So I will stick to skipping brekkie.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My routine is same 95% of the time
Breakfast between 5.30 - 6 am
Lunch 12
Dinner 5pm
Snack 9pm

No snacking at all unless I have a small 2-3G snack if I am low in the afternoon to stop a liver dump. Thursday I have a 5g bar of choc with my afternoon coffee

Reactions: 2 people

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Run 3 miles.
10.30 am Smoothie of protein powder, spinach, berries, banana and almond milk
Watercress soup at 1.30 p.m.
5.30 p.m soya bean curry. No rice.
Berries and soya yoghurt

Last hba1c 5.2. Desperate to stay off meds as so far have had horrendous side affects from them. I have to be strict to stay this way. I do snack if necessary on home made biscuits made with stevia. Fast 17/7.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Breakfast between 7 Am and 8 Am
Lunch about 12 - 1 PM
Dinner around 7-8 PM

and a snack at bed time normally between 10:30 to 11 PM..

I normally do not miss breakfast mainly for the reason that several of my medications need to be taken both with or just after eating food and in the morning.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Breakfast between 8 and 8.30
Lunch about 12
Snack about 3 (usually nuts or a few cubes of cheese)
Dinner about 6
I also volunteer at my community theatre, where I'm an usherette. Sometimes I want a snack when I get home so I'll have something protein based

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My eating habits are never routine... Up every morning, never really freel like breakfast, then usually at work for about 11am, then on my feet until 9/10pm... not very often I get time for a sit down or proper meal, just graze at work... when I get home though 11ish at night I sit chill and get the hunger!!

This has been the norm for me for years now, even on days of, it feels weird eating at "normal" times....

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Run 3 miles.
10.30 am Smoothie of protein powder, spinach, berries, banana and almond milk
Watercress soup at 1.30 p.m.
5.30 p.m soya bean curry. No rice.
Berries and soya yoghurt

Last hba1c 5.2. Desperate to stay off meds as so far have had horrendous side affects from them. I have to be strict to stay this way. I do snack if necessary on home made biscuits made with stevia. Fast 17/7.

I like the idea of eating breakfast mid morning, as I never feel like eating when Ii get up. Although i do have breakfast,as otherwise I wouldn't last til lunchtime. How do you fit it in with work? I'm quite often in meetings all morning, and don't think my colleagues would be very impressed if i disappeared for 20 minutes to est breakfast mid morning.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
My routine is invariably:

1. B: good green stuff, clean lean protein 6am

2. L: 1pm

3. D: 7pm

That's it,.. Generally no snacking now

Fasting every Tuesday:)!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app