When informing the DVLA...

anouser1

Hey everyone, just a quick and probably stupid question.

I am finally informing the DVLA [I haven't been driving beforehand dont worry lol] of my T1D and on the form it asks if I've had an episode of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) whilst awake.

I have had a readings under 4 that needed some sweets or something but I've never fainted or had any serious effects from it, so would I click yes here? I'm not sure what they're calling an "episode".

Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That does count as a yes, lets face it most T1's do have some hypo's (unless they're constantly at high levels) just because they do happen when taking insulin.
There will be follow up questions where it asks how many and if you needed help from anyone else

Reactions: anouser1

anouser1

That does count as a yes, lets face it most T1's do have some hypo's (unless they're constantly at high levels) just because they do happen when taking insulin.
There will be follow up questions where it asks how many and if you needed help from anyone else
There is and it asks if I've had 0, 1 or more than 2 in the past year which is kind of what threw me off

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Depends on the wording of the question... If it just say hypo then 3.9 or below is clinically hypo and yes you declare that... If it ask if you are hypo aware this needs to be a yes

If it say hypo where you needed assistance of others this is the one that could put your license at risk

Dvla expect you to have lows.... It almost looks suspicious if you don't.. You just need to identify and treat yourself

Reactions: anouser1