When is the best time to take meds?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

Just wondering. I'm trialling coming off Metformin with my Doctor's blessing and taking a dietary approach with supplements of cinnamon, probiotics and plant sterols..
Question is..Is there a best time of day to take them or not?
At the moment I take the lot when I get up.
I could be talking absolute claptrap but I thought there's no such thing as a stupid question..
Any feedback or advice gratefully received..

Chris

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like you are trying to give up meds (which I think is a great idea by the way).. so not sure what the question is?

I take my vit D and magnesium supps just before I go to bed.

Reactions: MCMLXXIII

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Seems like you are trying to give up meds (which I think is a great idea by the way).. so not sure what the question is?

I take my vit D and magnesium supps just before I go to bed.

I'm assuming it's whether supplements need to be taken at certain times of day.

@MCMLXXIII I don't take supplements apart from vitamin D but if they don't come with instructions I'd be inclined to take them at a time/manner which means you are most likely to remember?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Extract from Pubmed. Concerning plant sterols

) Plant sterols should be taken with meals: clinical trials have shown that when plant sterols are consumed close to mealtimes, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol may decrease by 9.4%, while when they are taken between meals, the reduction is about 6%. (B) The optimal dosage is 2-2.5 g day(-1) in a single dose. More than 3 g day(-1) has not been found to have any additional beneficial effect and increases the risk of side effects. (C) The food matrix used to dissolve the phytosterols should contain a certain amount of fat. A milk-based matrix appears optimal from this point of view.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Massive thankyou for the most comprehensive replies.
Supplemental is my insurance policy if you will.
Eating clean is my way forward..
(That can conjure an opinion or two!)

Reactions: filly