When is your bedtime / When do you wake up? Does it affect your bg?

Quinapril

Hey everyone.

Sorry if this was posted before.

I was wondering what your bedtime / wake up time is like.
Do you find that having a worse sleeping schedule negatively impacts your diabetes control?

The reason why I'm wondering about this is because I work late evening shifts (till 1am) and I end up not going to sleep till like 3, 4 in the morning or sometimes even worse.

Since dawn phenomenon happens at around 9 when I am still very much asleep and my blood sugar rises I get quite a few hours of being high before I wake up.

Im just curious to hear your experiences.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sleep has a massive impact on t1d control IMO, so regular sleep with stable control means I am more relaxed and less anxious, eat better and make better BG decisions, in regards to DP if I am sleep deprived I am more likely to get DP - I noticed it when I changed to a closed loop system and how my sleep quality improved with my pump making nighttime adjustments so levels were always in range and the immediate effect was how relaxed I became and less anxious, it’s something that’s overlooked a lot with living with t1d about how important good quality sleep is.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I worked shifts for over 30 years up until 2013 , when I retired , since then my sleep pattern has been erratic to say the least , did see someone about it but was told my body clock is all over the place due to my shift work , I don’t find my blood sugars affected that much just energy levels can be affected . As far as DP is concerned I only notice it when I wake up whatever time it is , which is probably the way DP works , a sort of liver dump to give u more energy to start the day , not sure if that’s a true statement but it helps me understand it , what time it happens for certain I’m not sure cos I’m asleep ,but I know my sugar does tend to rise from normal levels when I wake up ,

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hey everyone.

Sorry if this was posted before.

I was wondering what your bedtime / wake up time is like.
Do you find that having a worse sleeping schedule negatively impacts your diabetes control?

The reason why I'm wondering about this is because I work late evening shifts (till 1am) and I end up not going to sleep till like 3, 4 in the morning or sometimes even worse.

Since dawn phenomenon happens at around 9 when I am still very much asleep and my blood sugar rises I get quite a few hours of being high before I wake up.

Im just curious to hear your experiences.

I get dawn phenomenon. A recent diabetes doctor told me it is connected to daylight . . though I have not yet researched this myself.

If it was that then a simple case of sleeping in a darker room (preferably with shutters) might help to control the timing of this to some degree.