When should intermediate/long acting insulin be injected?

smartin1

Hi.

Some says that all insulin must always be injected before a meal.
I've also heard that rapid/short acting insulin should be given after meal. Is it correct?

Thanks.
Martin

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

Some says that all insulin must always be injected before a meal.
I've also heard that rapid/short acting insulin should be given after meal. Is it correct?

Thanks.
Martin

Welcome @smartin1 :)

Bolus insulin is injected before a meal, but basal insulin doesn't have to be.

What diabetes type do you have? What nsulins do you take?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal insulin should be taken at the same time(s) every day.

Reactions: azure

Fearless36

I think its good to aim, but its not the end of the world if they aren't taken at the same time every day. It really depends on the control of the users blood sugars. For example I sometimes inject immediately before bed, and at other times late evening. Yet do sugar tests to ensure.
Basal insulin should be taken at the same time(s) every day.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think its good to aim, but its not the end of the world if they aren't taken at the same time every day. It really depends on the control of the users blood sugars. For example I sometimes inject immediately before bed, and at other times late evening. Yet do sugar tests to ensure.
I pointed out that basal injections should be taken at the same time every day, as I once met a girl who said her BGs were always high at the weekend. It turned out that she slept later at the weekend and therefore took her basal injection later. She wasn't aware that her basal should be taken at roughly the same time each day.

Fearless36

I'm sure there are some who should take it at the same time every day, but it is not set in stone for people as for me that would never work. (A) it would be impossible to do - due to life and (B) providing the blood sugars are okay - as long as it is taken it doesn't matter. I rarely inject my basal at the same time every single day - but I don't need to as my blood sugars aren't compromised now.
I pointed out that basal injections should be taken at the same time every day, as I once met a girl who said her BGs were always high at the weekend. It turned out that she slept later at the weekend and therefore took her basal injection later. She wasn't aware that her basal should be taken at roughly the same time each day.