When The Dexcom G4 Transmitter Dies ...

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
...does anyone know what happens?
Hi just wondered if anyone can help? For the last 4 or 5 weeks, my sensor readings on my G4 have become unbelievably erratic jumping from highs to low, with blocks of no reception, ??? or ANT appearing. At first I put it down to dodgy/dying sensors, but now wonder whether the transmitter is on it's way out. I am not getting any warning on the Animas Vibe to say low battery, and I booted up the Dexcom receiver I used before getting the pump, and the settings on their state "Battery: OK". Having spoken to Animas, they immediately said that the transmitter is finished, but I just don't understand why I'm not getting battery warnings on either the pump or the receiver? I have had the transmitter for approx. 11/12 months, and a brand new sensor from last night is already playing up. Appreciate it is definitely nearing the end of its lifespan, but I was hoping it would last closer to 18 months lol :happy:
Any advice will be gratefully received, before I pay for a new transmitter if its not required!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if I'll be much help as I'm on a G5 transmitter which is actually quite a bit different from the G4 from a technology standpoint.

First thing, lets rule out some of the obvious stuff:
-where are you wearing the sensor/transmitter?
-Is this happening later on in the sensor life (after using the same sensor for 7+ days)?
-have you inspected the contacts on the underside of the transmitter to make sure they're clean?

While the battery may not be low that doesn't mean other aspects of the transmitter aren't starting to fail. These transmitters are very well built, but I can easily see a situation where the contacts (that connect to the sensor) can start to fail over 12 months and cause inaccurate readings.

Unfortunately, you're going to get the standard answer from Dexcom/Animas to replace it as soon as they find out that it's 12 months old.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I wear the sensor on my arm, and the previous sensor displayed these issues from day 1 for 2.5 weeks, at which point I gave up last night and changed it, assuming it was a dodgy sensor, but the issue has continued but to a much lesser extent today on the new sensor The contacts were clean before and wiped down with an alcohol wipe before I inserted the transmitter.

I think I am wondering what people see or experience to make them decide its time to fire up a new transmitter?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The transmitter will give you a warning that it's life is going to expire, so if it aint happened then the transmitter is ok. I suspect you could be dreaming or living in hope the transmitter will last 18 months (14 months if you are lucky) I've had a load of dreadful sensors all with the same issues you are stating and I have a brand new transmitter.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @CarbsRok I think it must have been a dodgy sensor, as the new one seems to have settled. I thought it was strange it was not warning me that the battery was low, but to be getting "ANT" "???" and "Sensor out of range" messages I was confused. Thanks all

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear the sensor on my arm

Yep, that was my first inclination and the exact same thing happened to me. I think it's part of the reason why Dexcom doesn't approve your arm as an application site in adults.

If you install the sensor incorrectly (which is easy to do) the sensor wire will bend the wrong way and make contact with your muscle and cause these kinds of readings.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep, that was my first inclination and the exact same thing happened to me. I think it's part of the reason why Dexcom doesn't approve your arm as an application site in adults.

My sensor reading are even worse if I put the sensor on my tummy. There are far to many people complaining about sensors for it to be more than coincidence.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agreed, as I stated it doesn't matter where I'm inserting I'm getting some **** sensors.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been seriously thinking about self-funding GCM I have an Animas Vibe so would be going for Dexcom G4 but I am having doubts after reading the problems people are having!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been seriously thinking about self-funding GCM I have an Animas Vibe so would be going for Dexcom G4 but I am having doubts after reading the problems people are having!

Honestly once you start you cant stop!

They can be a little tetchy but if a sensor does fail Dexcom replaces them (if in the 7 days).

I stretch mine to 2+ weeks and find week two is better with accuracy. Ive had the odd ****** sensor but when mine are ****** then tend to sort themselves out with a calibration (I calibrate every time i do a reading).

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If the sensors are faulty they are replaced so worry not.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Honestly once you start you cant stop!

They can be a little tetchy but if a sensor does fail Dexcom replaces them (if in the 7 days).

I stretch mine to 2+ weeks and find week two is better with accuracy. Ive had the odd ****** sensor but when mine are ****** then tend to sort themselves out with a calibration (I calibrate every time i do a reading).
@ElkBond thanks for your comments, I think I will go ahead with my purchase.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I definitely wouldn't be put off. This is the first issue I've have had in a year, and the benefits outweigh this one-off inconvenience many times over. I get between 3 and 4 weeks out of each of my sensors, with normally no noticeable drop until the last couple of days.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@CarbsRok that's reassuring that they will replace the sensors if faulty. I have tried the Dexcom G4 for 1 week and really liked it so will go ahead and get it.
I use the vibe as well, so do be very assured Animas will replace faulty sensors fear not as people say :)

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I definitely wouldn't be put off. This is the first issue I've have had in a year, and the benefits outweigh this one-off inconvenience many times over. I get between 3 and 4 weeks out of each of my sensors, with normally no noticeable drop until the last couple of days.
@paulliljeros That is reassuring so I went ahead and ordered a starter kit today, should get it early next week, it will definitely benefit me when I am off on holiday to America. Thanks again

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
No problem @Russem . Sorry, I don't know how much you have read about CGM, so apologies if I am preaching to the converted, but what I would say, is if you are have not already looked into CGM much so far, is to be aware that it doesn't offer you a replacement for fingerpricks, only a reduction, and nor does it give you 100% accuracy, 100% of the time, but what it does give you, is 20:20 vision of where you glucose has been, and where it is going, and so for example, for me the knowledge that my BG has dropped from about 9 to about 6 over the last 15 minutes, is infinitely more valuable than knowing it is exactly 6.5 but having no idea about whether it is raising, dropping or steady.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensor reading are even worse if I put the sensor on my tummy. There are far to many people complaining about sensors for it to be more than coincidence.
Personally, I don't think it's the sensor that's the issue. It's the insertion device that's the problem. Fortunately, Dexcom is working on that.

The sensor wire is pretty long and if you don't have much body fat it can easily get inserted incorrectly. I can usually tell within about 5-10 minutes whether the sensor was inserted incorrectly or not. On the rare occasion I actually had to remove the sensor, the sensor wire was always bent downward which confirmed why it was reading improperly.

I personally wear my sensor just under my left armpit on my rib cage. The curvature of my rib cage ensures that the wire is almost never going to get bent the wrong way and it's far enough to the left where I can sleep on my back or my stomach at night.

I'm also very lucky that my readings are accurate to within ~10% about 95% of the time and only on very rare occasions do I see anything greater than a 20% discrepancy.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Personally, I don't think it's the sensor that's the issue. It's the insertion device that's the problem. Fortunately, Dexcom is working on that.

You are nit picking now :p

Last edited by a moderator: