When the tech goes wrong...grr!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So there I was happily replacing 1 libre with the next and waiting my (self imposed) 24 hours before activation, all perfectly timed so I could test a blow out American brunch this morning.
On waking reached for phone to activate Libre and phone hadn't charged and was out of power!!!!!
Now waiting for phone to charge and delaying my much eagerly anticipated breakfast grrŕ!
Only a rant, and a memo to self to check charging

Captain_Sensible

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why do you wait 24hrs before reactivating a new Libre Sensor? I always swap a patch over, activate it and wait the prescribed 60 mins before testing again. Being on Libre 2 for 24/7 I don't like to be without it for any length of time. Interestingly though my HBA1c is only marginally better than doing fingerpricks

Reactions: agwagw

Mike Watson

I'm with Capn Sensible on this . But I have a more general Libre question - why activate with your phone? Why not use the Libre reader?
As far as I can see the only benefit is getting alarms to the phone but I find the reader works much better through clothes (jackets, anoraks) so is much better when I'm out for reading and alarms.
I always use the phone app with the pre meal/insulin reading so I can more easily make notes

• Agree
Reactions: Goonergal

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why do you wait 24hrs before reactivating a new Libre Sensor? I always swap a patch over, activate it and wait the prescribed 60 mins before testing again. Being on Libre 2 for 24/7 I don't like to be without it for any length of time. Interestingly though my HBA1c is only marginally better than doing fingerpricks
Some have found that inserting them 24 hours before activation makes them a lot more accurate on the first day, I did when I was still using the libre - I didnt miss out on 24 hours - I just put it on my arm 24 hours before the current one was about to run out which gave it time to settle and sort its life out

ssnjimb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some have found that inserting them 24 hours before activation makes them a lot more accurate on the first day, I did when I was still using the libre - I didnt miss out on 24 hours - I just put it on my arm 24 hours before the current one was about to run out which gave it time to settle and sort its life out
I have never heard of this before. And I was certainly not recommended to do this. Hmmm I might try it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the original Libres for a while and found that I actually needed 48 hours for these "alien artifacts" to acclimatize before I got any consistently sensible readings from them for the first 36 hours or so , particularly overnight. Otherwise I think I would have apparently been waking up dead.. . o_O As a T2 I only ever had a very few very mild false hypos when first diagnosed.

Logs are from midnight to midnight:

1664880624237.png

LIke @Rokaab I simply inserted them early and activated later. If I chose to have both on the same arm, my Libre reader knew which one was currently active. presumably from its serial number.

@ssnjimb AFAIK this issue was fairly common Forum knowledge with the original Libres, and generally attributed to pressure of lying on them overnight.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: In Response

Martyn C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started Libre 2 a couple of weeks ago with no problem setting up as it is more or less the same as the 1. But have found it more challenging in use.
Although I know the tech is much more advanced, the sensitivity of the reader, supplied by my kind hospital team, is "sometimes" frustrating. (Continually showing "Try again in 10 minutes"
Only now my results are levelling out. As far as fasting or munching before bed, I always rely on my test at the time and trend of readings.
Good luck to all.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although I know the tech is much more advanced, the sensitivity of the reader, supplied by my kind hospital team, is "sometimes" frustrating. (Continually showing "Try again in 10 minutes"
This error has nothing to do with the sensitivity of the reader - it is seen as often with the phone app.
Typically, it is shown when levels are changing quickly as Libre 2 attempts to predict the 10 - 15 minute lag.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with Capn Sensible on this . But I have a more general Libre question - why activate with your phone? Why not use the Libre reader?
As far as I can see the only benefit is getting alarms to the phone but I find the reader works much better through clothes (jackets, anoraks) so is much better when I'm out for reading and alarms.
I always use the phone app with the pre meal/insulin reading so I can more easily make notes
Perhaps because not everyone has an expensive reader, especially intermittent type 2 users that self fund. Or maybe they just want to carry one gadget not two.

• Agree

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only use one rarely (being a self funded t2) and I did get very odd erratic readings when I followed the standard 'wait one hour' advice. So now I just plan the 24 ahead insertion - hence my rant when my careful planning went awry and my long anticipated breakfast had to delayed!
I don't have a reader
As a continual user, maybe your body has got used to the "invasion "?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must say I prefer to use the reader too. It fits into a pocket much more easily than a phone and means I don’t have to constantly get my phone out when out and about.

Given my propensity to drop things too, I know which I’d rather drop on a footpath/in mud!

• Funny
Reactions: Lainie71 and hh1

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
VERY GOOD BIT OF BLOOD SUGARS LEVELS LOW OR HIGH KIT
FEW YEARS BACK COST A LOT but worth every penny
but a bit more brillant kit also is ACCU-CHEK SPIRIT COMBO PUMP as when i get an insulin blocked or as they say OCCUSION
and i the change needle and line as i can go from 9 to 18 in under 20 minis blocked line or air lock etc
it will tell how much insulin is available and how long I CAN THEN TRY TO WORK IF I NEED ANY MORE INSULIN our life OUR MEDS VIC TYPE ONE or i use INSULIN NOVARAPID

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@vic hill the features you mention are not unique to the spirit combo. They are common to all insulin pumps. I agree they are great bits of kit, especially pump/CGM combinations that provide closed loop. Having a pump that automatically suspends my basal as my levels start heading down has significantly reduced my hypos.

Saul 3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could invest in a power bank as a backup power supply. This also has the advantage that you can keep the phone near you when you sleep if there is not a convenient electricity supply to charge your phone overnight, so the alarms can work whilst you are asleep. Meanwhile you can charge the phone bank anywhere in the house.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phone or Reader?
As far as I am concerned, it is horses for courses.
I am a prolific user of my phone to track exercise, to manage my pump, to read work emails, to navigate, to buy train tickets, to message, to check in for flights,… the other day, I was surprised when it rang!
The idea of carrying another thing with me (which I may lose) is not ideal.
As for scanning through clothes and like like, I found it was not down to sensitivity but knowing where the NFC receiver is in your phone.
Then I discovered xDrip and only needed to scan my sensor when I started it.

If you always scan and you rarely use a mobile phone, I can see the reader is preferable.
Hence, horses for courses

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant, abusive, greedy people
I have been a Libre 2 user for nearly a year now. I am a member of a Libre 2 forum, and it seems to be a widespread practice to fit another sensor at least 6 hours before the older one expires. In my experience, I've found that fitting a new sensor a few hours before the older one expires, gives more reliable readings, especially the first few scans.

I never received a reader with my sensors, so I've always used my mobile to scan my sensors. To add another item of technology to my person would be cumbersome and impractical. The reader has only 1 function, whilst my mobile has several technologies/applications built into one unit, applications I use daily, so for me personally, scanning with my phone is the most practical way for me to keep abreast of my diabetes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So there I was happily replacing 1 libre with the next and waiting my (self imposed) 24 hours before activation, all perfectly timed so I could test a blow out American brunch this morning.
On waking reached for phone to activate Libre and phone hadn't charged and was out of power!!!!!
Now waiting for phone to charge and delaying my much eagerly anticipated breakfast grrŕ!
Only a rant, and a memo to self to check charging
How did you fair on the American brunch in the end?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you fair on the American brunch in the end?
Took the sensible, but very very tasty, option of a bacon and avocado omelette, with salsa and sour cream in top. Was scummy, and nice to have it made for me. Worth the wait

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never heard of this before. And I was certainly not recommended to do this. Hmmm I might try it.
Take two Libres into the shower..? I just plant & go..

I can on occasions have one ready to go for maybe 3 to 6 hours prior to the other ending. But that’s only because changeover day (Sunday.) could have a planned break from the normal routine. I might need to travel or anything as opposed to the usual “doss day” after a couple of nights gigging?

But on the whole. They work from the get go..

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@vic hill the features you mention are not unique to the spirit combo. They are common to all insulin pumps. I agree they are great bits of kit, especially pump/CGM combinations that provide closed loop. Having a pump that automatically suspends my basal as my levels start heading down has significantly reduced my hypos.
YES AGREE also what i like if high before bed can see how much insulin is still to be delivered so that i do not overdue and go low
vic