When to exercise

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've asked a variant of this question before but I'm still confused- slow learner I guess.

I understand that the dawn phenomena causes an increase in the BSL after you wake up. I think I'm correct that this is produced by the liver. Does this come from stored glucose? If so does this mean that over a while the amount stored becomes less (following a LCHF diet) and so possibly lessens the insulin resistance?

If you then exercise before breakfast the BSLs increase- is this also from the previously stored glucose? does this increased level increase the risk of diabetes complications- what level is problematic- I went up to 5.9 after a short walk- not high intensive- is that a problem?

should I be eating before exercising? I did have breakfast before the walk but threw up most of it so probably hadn't had much to eat.

Would appreciate any advice. Have had a plantar fasciitis so just getting back to walking- am afraid of doing the cross trainer in case that raises my blood sugar levels even higher.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It's important to find an exercise programme that works for you.
Here is an interesting article on the benefits of walking after eating for Type 2's. I'm sorry this made you ill the first time.
Newspaper article about the study: https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago624442.html
The actual study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27747394

Before starting insulin, exercise before breakfast would send my blood sugars sky-high. I always exercised after eating to help lower the blood sugar food spike. Now that I'm on insulin, I can manage a 20-minute run before breakfast without affecting my blood sugars. Running after eating, with short-acting insulin in my system, drops my blood sugars like a stone, which is helpful to stop BS spikes at times.

Reactions: Kim Possible

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
should I be eating before exercising?
Hi Vash I don't eat before exercise.

A couple of months back as a way of getting back into it, I wondered if it was possible for me, a couch potato, to cycle 100 miles in a day. Turns out it only takes 4 hour sessions and you are done. I started doing this most Sundays time and life permitting, when I do have the time I do the first 50 miles on an empty stomach with no issues.

I do it on an empty stomach because I want to burn up the glycogen stores in my muscles forcing them to soak up the glucose from my blood stream. This then forces my liver to give up it's stores of glucose.

Some people find they have more energy or time at night and prefer to exercise in the evening. Some prefer during the day/morning it boils down to what suits you and your lifestyle.

afraid of doing the cross trainer in case that raises my blood sugar levels even higher.
This can be counter-intuitive but exercise can raise blood glucose levels, this is a good thing.

Over simplification. :bookworm:
  • Your liver has a supply of glucose.
  • By exercise you empty your liver it goes into the blood to refuel the muscles.
  • The muscles extract glucose from the blood for the next 24 hours.
  • The liver breaks down body fat to to refuel its lost glucose.

Rinse and repeat.
By doing this lots and some simple changes in diet the you loose weight the liver is drained of excess fat, the body becomes less resistant to insulin and blood glucose levels should drop substantially, in many to non-diabetes levels.

Full disclosure can't work the speedometer on my bike properly it may 100 Km but its defiantly 100 something's. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbaker

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all- I really appreciate the advice. It fits with what I thought instinctively was the case. I still have a lot to learn but I feel I am learning. I will experiment with walking and the cross train ner- it's winter here in Australia and the weather outside is not really beckoning me to go walking. I use the cross train er to avoid walking in the cold and dark.

You guys are awesome !

Reactions: 1spuds

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi Vash I don't eat before exercise.

A couple of months back as a way of getting back into it, I wondered if it was possible for me, a couch potato, to cycle 100 miles in a day. Turns out it only takes 4 hour sessions and you are done. I started doing this most Sundays time and life permitting, when I do have the time I do the first 50 miles on an empty stomach with non issues.

I do it on an empty stomach because I want to burn up the glycogen stores in my muscles forcing them to soak up the glucose from my blood stream. This then forces my liver to give up it's stores of glucose.

Some people find they have more energy or time at night and prefer to exercise in the evening. Some prefer during the day/morning it boils down to what suits you and your lifestyle.

This can be counter-intuitive but exercise can raise blood glucose levels, this is a good thing.

Over simplification. :bookworm:
  • Your liver has a supply of glucose.
  • By exercise you empty your liver it goes into the blood to refuel the muscles.
  • The muscles extract glucose from the blood for the next 24 hours.
  • The liver breaks down body fat to to refuel its lost glucose.

Rinse and repeat.
By doing this lots and some simple changes in diet the you loose weight the liver is drained of excess fat, the body becomes less resistant to insulin and blood glucose levels should drop substantially, in many to non-diabetes levels.

Full disclosure can't work the speedometer on my bike properly it may 100 Km but its defiantly 100 something's. ;)
:bag:

If you are doing 100 miles in 4 hours that is an average of 25 mph which is pretty darn fast.
25 kph is about 15.5 mph which is still a respectable speed but more cyclist than elite athlete.