When to go back to work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

First post so bear with me lol!

I was diagnosed with Type 1 a few weeks ago and have been off work since then. I'm trying to get used to all the adjustments and think I'm getting there. My diabetic nurse doesn't think I should go back just yet and the doctor has signed me off. Anyway,I was just wondering how long people have been off after their diagnosis before going back to work? I know its different for everybody but was just curious as to how it has affected other people. Just feels weird being off work sick when I don't actually feel sick lol.

Thanks!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I was off duty for over 7 months !!! Crazy ! I felt absolutely fine a few weeks after diagnosis but Occupational Health would not allow me to return until a period of 6 months had passed with no problems and then they wrote to my consultant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PATN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I didn't have time off work after being diagnosed, I was just given a safe office job with people around me until Occ health was happy for me to go back on shift. (Around 8 months).
I did change jobs within the company because of there safety concerns for me.
I am now allowed to work alone using our lone workers safety radio. (Had no problems as yet).
My company has so far been very helpful. My manager understands what's going on if I ever go hypo and has never made a fuss. I even get paid time off for hospital appointments. As I said I am one of the lucky ones.
I think it all depends on who you work for, and there understanding of Diabetes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went back after 4 days.... But I actually had tonsillitis at the same time so that was the only reason I stayed off, my diabetes consultant gave me clearance to go back the next day. Only difference for me is I now fail my medical and so 100% office based. I previously spent about 10% of my time on site.

Everyone copes differently. If your nurse thinks you're not ready then don't rush. Have they said why they think you need more time?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,thanks for your replies!
When I was diagnosed my blood sugar levels were really high so they didn't want me at work or driving until they came down. They've since lowered but I've been having hypos,they keep lowering my insulin but said not to go back until I'm more stable. Suppose its different for everybody but its quite frustrating just waiting to be told.
My employer says I can have phased return so that will help a lot,they've been really good about it. It's just such a complicated process adjusting to all the changes :(

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I was diagnosed early this year and had about 1 month off but that was mainly because I couldn't drive. If your having a lot of Hypo's I would not be in arush to get back. I found that despite my control being quite good before I went back to work I would have at least 1 hypo a day due to the change in routine.
Even though my school and pupils (I am a teacher) were great, they were fascinated and were quite desperate to see me have a hypo then were disappointed when it did happen and it wasn't very dramatic, I found the change in routine etc very hard (But I went from getting up at 11 to getting up at 5 and not stopping till half 3).
I'm glad your employer is being good and I hope that you are coping okay with all the changes and adaptations (I know 6 months on I am still trying to adapt)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
miss_skellington said:
Hi,thanks for your replies!
When I was diagnosed my blood sugar levels were really high so they didn't want me at work or driving until they came down. They've since lowered but I've been having hypos,they keep lowering my insulin but said not to go back until I'm more stable. Suppose its different for everybody but its quite frustrating just waiting to be told.
My employer says I can have phased return so that will help a lot,they've been really good about it. It's just such a complicated process adjusting to all the changes :(

Interesting, I asked about driving as my GP wouldn't even let me drive myself to the hospital, but I was cleared to go ahead and drive that evening! The diet reading I could actually get without it just saying "HI" was 29.3, so I know I was mega high before that too. Different doctors give different advise I guess! At least your employer is being good about it :)

A few weeks time marks 6 months since diagnosis for me. Time flies when you're having fun.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It just seems to vary so much person to person.
I think I definitely needed some time off to get used to the injections and change to diet but I don't want to be off so long that going back is difficult,going to take a bit of adjusting as it is lol!
Seeing my consultant today for the first time so hoping they can shed more light on this for me!
Thanks,nice to be able to chat to others in the same position. People keep saying this will all be second nature in no time but doesn't feel like that sometimes.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
miss_skellington said:
It just seems to vary so much person to person.
I think I definitely needed some time off to get used to the injections and change to diet but I don't want to be off so long that going back is difficult,going to take a bit of adjusting as it is lol!
Seeing my consultant today for the first time so hoping they can shed more light on this for me!
Thanks,nice to be able to chat to others in the same position. People keep saying this will all be second nature in no time but doesn't feel like that sometimes.

How odd, I met my consultant the day I was diagnosed. And then had a follow up 1 week later.

It really does become 2nd nature. I forget now that I have some old friends I haven't told about diagnosis and when I meet up with them they get all confused when I casually whip out a needle at lunch!

This forum is a great place to air any issues you have, or just chat about non-diabetes things. If you have any questions you don't want to post publicly you can feel free to pm me too

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks,its a useful place to learn more,feel like I'll never take it all in!
The consultant was off so I had to wait for the next clinic,think the nurse doesn't want me to go back until after I've been seen. The consultant,diabetic nurse and dietician have all been off,being diagnosed in July isnt the best month lol.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
miss_skellington said:
Thanks,its a useful place to learn more,feel like I'll never take it all in!
The consultant was off so I had to wait for the next clinic,think the nurse doesn't want me to go back until after I've been seen. The consultant,diabetic nurse and dietician have all been off,being diagnosed in July isnt the best month lol.

Yes that makes sense, better to be seen and be sure!

One tip, get a hold of a copy of a book called "Think Like a Pancreas". It is great at explaining everything in a simple way. It really helped me get in control