When to take metformin

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I split my dose into 1 tablet 4 times a day, and have had a vast reduction in metformin side effects.
I also read somewhere that metformin has an effect for about 5 hours in the body, and I've found that by splitting the dose I don't get any of the late afternoon sugar highs that I was having.

I spoke to my DSN about it, and she was fine with me doing this. The only drawback is that I have to actually remember to take the tablet 4 times a day! lol.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Sorry to subvert somone elses thread but I have just bee prescribed 3x met sr but the pharmacy questiond the taking as it stated 1 3x per day he rang the drs an spoke to the reception and was told yes that was right. Personally I dont think a receptionist qualified to comment . Whin I got home I spoke to my pharmacist cousin who said that was definatly wrong and would have refused to prescribe withoyt speaking to dr . The pamphlet inside also says take only once or twice per der

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I take 2 500mg SR tablets once a day, in the evening, as prescribed.
Unfortunately, I can't remember how I took the original normal metformin.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to take my 3 x 850mg regular metformin with each meal, did once take two at once and that upset my stomach. Now take 2 x 1000mg SR metformin with my evening meal.

luizalotos

Hi everyone,

I was pre diabetic on control diet but from beginning of this year my levels rose to 9.5% and staying on this level. My GP prescribe me Metformin once a day 500mg , 2 months ago. I know that is help me to manage my sugar levels but is that necessary ?

Thank you for any replay