When to test if only testing once per day

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sticking to much the same foods now on a daily basis and wanting to cut down the number of times I test each day. If you only test once per day then when is the best time to do it. I just want to ensure my levels are remaining stable.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If your not testing around meal times, then a fasting test is probably the best.
However, if you have issues with dawn phenomenon, then waiting at least half an hour after getting up, or later if you don't eat. Just about fifteen minutes prior to you preparing breakfast. If you keep to that every morning, then you will get an actual true figure close to an hba1c without taking blood.
As always keeping a record is always helpful to you and your doctor.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Got to be honest, I can't see what useful information you can get from one test. What will that one result tell you? Possibly that you haven't slept well or maybe you've worked too hard or perhaps got something on your mind.
Personally if I wanted to reduce the amount of testing but still keep an eye on things I would use the 7 strips to test one day a week. Or maybe 3 different meals throughout the week, at least then the tests would have some context

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got to be honest, I can't see what useful information you can get from one test. What will that one result tell you? Possibly that you haven't slept well or maybe you've worked too hard or perhaps got something on your mind.
Personally if I wanted to reduce the amount of testing but still keep an eye on things I would use the 7 strips to test one day a week. Or maybe 3 different meals throughout the week, at least then the tests would have some context
That's a fair point. I was just thinking that all I want to do now is ensure my levels don't creep up e.g. if I test 2 or 3 days in a row and it's high each day then I would need to reconsider things. I've been told by the nurse today that if hba1c is not in 50s when tested again at the start of January then I really need to up the medication. I've been refusing so far. It was 111 at start of October and 79 last week. I know a month isn't long enough but nurse just wanted to be sure it was coming down.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your not testing around meal times, then a fasting test is probably the best.
However, if you have issues with dawn phenomenon, then waiting at least half an hour after getting up, or later if you don't eat. Just about fifteen minutes prior to you preparing breakfast. If you keep to that every morning, then you will get an actual true figure close to an hba1c without taking blood.
As always keeping a record is always helpful to you and your doctor.
Thanks. That makes sense. Although it's always higher in the morning (dawn phenomenon) and it doesn't seem to come down until after I eat. I'm generally 7ish during the day 2 hrs after meals but can be 9 in the mornings.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. That makes sense. Although it's always higher in the morning (dawn phenomenon) and it doesn't seem to come down until after I eat. I'm generally 7ish during the day 2 hrs after meals but can be 9 in the mornings.
The more time that you give yourself before eating your levels should be a proper fasting test and reading. If
dawn phenomenon does really effect you, then you are better off reverting to meal testing and having a meal that you can safely say is the same portion size and carb count, preferably later in the day. If you record pre and post meal in a diary the dsn, will have the information she wanted..