Type 2 When to test sugar levels - new diagnosis

new2T2

Hi all,

I’m new to T2 diabetes. I had gestational diabetes 10 years ago when I was pregnant and my sugar levels have had at me pre-diabetes for a few years, but this year my HBA1c went up to 54 so I’ve been told
To go on to metformin.

I have rheumatoid arthritis- an auto-immune disease (diagnosed 2 years ago) which potentially has meds that increase sugar levels too so it’s a bit annoying. My question is this- I’ve been able to trial the freestyle libre patch for 2 weeks and I’m checking my sugar levels through this post meals etc. When is the best time to check and what should my levels be?if I check 15-30 mins after I tend to get a big spike- my dr advised that anything that spikes over 10 after 15 mins is no go- but I’m not sure that leaves me with anything! Also, I haven’t been given any of the strips or glucose monitoring systems- should I buy one? The patch I’m using will stop working in a week.

Also worth noting that I managed to get my HBA1c down last year after following high protein/ fat- low carb diet (using “my fitness pal” to track) and I’m feeling quite low as it’s shot up again this year- I really don’t want to be on any further medication. I’ve been told I need to go on metformin ☹️

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading.

new2t2

Reactions: SuNuman

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also worth noting that I managed to get my HBA1c down last year after following high protein/ fat- low carb diet (using “my fitness pal” to track)

There's your solution... go back to eating that way, will probably help with the arthritis too.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi all,

I’m new to T2 diabetes. I had gestational diabetes 10 years ago when I was pregnant and my sugar levels have had at me pre-diabetes for a few years, but this year my HBA1c went up to 54 so I’ve been told
To go on to metformin.

I have rheumatoid arthritis- an auto-immune disease (diagnosed 2 years ago) which potentially has meds that increase sugar levels too so it’s a bit annoying. My question is this- I’ve been able to trial the freestyle libre patch for 2 weeks and I’m checking my sugar levels through this post meals etc. When is the best time to check and what should my levels be?if I check 15-30 mins after I tend to get a big spike- my dr advised that anything that spikes over 10 after 15 mins is no go- but I’m not sure that leaves me with anything! Also, I haven’t been given any of the strips or glucose monitoring systems- should I buy one? The patch I’m using will stop working in a week.

Also worth noting that I managed to get my HBA1c down last year after following high protein/ fat- low carb diet (using “my fitness pal” to track) and I’m feeling quite low as it’s shot up again this year- I really don’t want to be on any further medication. I’ve been told I need to go on metformin ☹️

new2t2
What bulkbiker said about the arthritis is correct! Diet helps enormously. My brother suffers with it and found a book that tells you of all the foods to avoid to ease arthritis symptoms, and he is doing great! I remember that tomatoes were a definite no no, and he loved them, but loves the results far better :)

new2T2

There's your solution... go back to eating that way, will probably help with the arthritis too.

Thank you - this is not “regular arthritis” to be clear- it’s an auto-immune disease. Flare ups can be caused by some foods (although frustratingly this is never consistent!) but it’s not the same as osteoarthritis

new2T2

What bulkbiker said about the arthritis is correct! Diet helps enormously. My brother suffers with it and found a book that tells you of all the foods to avoid to ease arthritis symptoms, and he is doing great! I remember that tomatoes were a definite no no, and he loved them, but loves the results far better :)

Thanks for this- could you share the book name? Also is there any answer to the q about when to test blood suGar levels or whether to purchase the stops/ monitor at all?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thanks for this- could you share the book name? Also is there any answer to the q about when to test blood suGar levels or whether to purchase the stops/ monitor at all?
Aww I don't remember but I will contact my brother to find out. I expect if you google though you will find answers to 'foods to avoid with arthritis' ? Cannot pop round to my brother since he lives almost 400 miles from me ;)

Reactions: new2T2

new2T2

Thank you - I have been scanning the patch every few hours to see what effect the food is having and whether it’s good/ bad for me, but just unsure as to how soon after eating I should check and what a “normal” spike is for post eating… I feel quite confused about it all as it’s been a decade since I last did anything with this stuff!

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - I have been scanning the patch every few hours to see what effect the food is having and whether it’s good/ bad for me, but just unsure as to how soon after eating I should check and what a “normal” spike is for post eating… I feel quite confused about it all as it’s been a decade since I last did anything with this stuff!

i think it’s recommended you test 2 hours after eating

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully you can see this image

Attachments

• 9EE4899D-DF85-4D47-B473-D9ED7372CD33.png
    9EE4899D-DF85-4D47-B473-D9ED7372CD33.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 84

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If my glucose for example is 5.5 before eating, ideally I’d like to see something 7.5 or less. So less than a 2 point rise. If it’s more, then I know to tweak that meal for next time

Lionel12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

To go on to metformin.

new2t2
It's frightening at first but getting a doc who knows his/her way around diabetes and its drugs is a great help. May involve changing GP.
Other ailments need watching. Mine, believe it or not, is gout. Don't laugh. As a 17th century clergyman noted, it's like walking on your eyeballs.
How is the Libre patch? I don't fancy having needles stuck in me permanently but perhaps they are painless... . I was told when diagnosed a decade ago not to check blood sugar until at least 2 hours after a meal.
What measurement system yields HbA1c of 54? In the mg/dl system used in Germany (and the rest of the Continong) this would be coma level. Mine is supposed to max at 7.5.
I'm writing all this in case you travel when the pandemic's over.
Good luck and I hope you never suffer from any of the possible complications of diabetes.

Reactions: SuNuman and new2T2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - this is not “regular arthritis” to be clear- it’s an auto-immune disease. Flare ups can be caused by some foods (although frustratingly this is never consistent!) but it’s not the same as osteoarthritis

Flare ups are caused by inflammation which can often be food based .. some auto immune conditions are very often treatable with dietary changes arthritis being one of them.

https://revero.health/?s=arthritis

quite a few success stories here.

new2T2

If my glucose for example is 5.5 before eating, ideally I’d like to see something 7.5 or less. So less than a 2 point rise. If it’s more, then I know to tweak that meal for next time

Thank you for all of this- I saw the image and will try and not check it too frequently! It’s difficult not to as the app makes it so easy to scan… I’m sometimes around 8/9 post meal but depends what I’ve eaten.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

new2T2

It's frightening at first but getting a doc who knows his/her way around diabetes and its drugs is a great help. May involve changing GP.
Other ailments need watching. Mine, believe it or not, is gout. Don't laugh. As a 17th century clergyman noted, it's like walking on your eyeballs.
How is the Libre patch? I don't fancy having needles stuck in me permanently but perhaps they are painless... . I was told when diagnosed a decade ago not to check blood sugar until at least 2 hours after a meal.
What measurement system yields HbA1c of 54? In the mg/dl system used in Germany (and the rest of the Continong) this would be coma level. Mine is supposed to max at 7.5.
I'm writing all this in case you travel when the pandemic's over.
Good luck and I hope you never suffer from any of the possible complications of diabetes.

So the libre patch is completely painless- most of the time I can’t even tell it’s in my arm. When it went in it was hardly noticeable, and maybe a few little twinges as it settled but really nothing to write home about. Re HBA1c- as I understand per below (hope you can see) it was below 48 for ages but in the last year went up. I’ve actually travelled a bit throughout the last year (when we were allowed to) and as diabetes diagnosis is new, I’m still figuring it all out…
IMG_5686.jpg

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

To go on to metformin.

new2t2

I got told I needed metformin about 3 weeks ago, but I have ignored the GP for now. If in 3 months, I’ve tried my best and my HbA1c has not come down, I’ll happily take the tablets. I wouldn’t have failed, I just need a helping hand. But before that I’d really like to change my lifestyle and bring it down myself. I managed to get myself into remission in 2017, so I know it’s possible. Good luck!

new2T2

I got told I needed metformin about 3 weeks ago, but I have ignored the GP for now. If in 3 months, I’ve tried my best and my HbA1c has not come down, I’ll happily take the tablets. I wouldn’t have failed, I just need a helping hand. But before that I’d really like to change my lifestyle and bring it down myself. I managed to get myself into remission in 2017, so I know it’s possible. Good luck!

Thank you for this- my dr is saying I should start metformin now but I’m really reluctant to do so- however I really don’t want to do permanent damage to myself. It’s a bit of a minefield!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this- my dr is saying I should start metformin now but I’m really reluctant to do so- however I really don’t want to do permanent damage to myself. It’s a bit of a minefield!!
Being told that is standard advice. Many newly diagnosed do no more than they are told, and that includes being told little about diet and how very effective that can be. Therefore many drs don’t expect you to achieve any improvement so go straight to medication. Vicious circle.
Your levels are only just into the diagnostic range and low carb can be much more effective than metformin in lowering levels if you’re willing to do it. Imo 3 months of determined lifestyle effort is well worth the delay in the decision to medicate with very minimal risk. And maybe (probably) surprise the dr too. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago at 55mmol and chose not to medicate. Many many others in here at much higher levels did too with great results from low carb.

new2T2

Being told that is standard advice. Many newly diagnosed do no more than they are told, and that includes being told little about diet and how very effective that can be. Therefore many drs don’t expect you to achieve any improvement so go straight to medication. Vicious circle.
Your levels are only just into the diagnostic range and low carb can be much more effective than metformin in lowering levels if you’re willing to do it. Imo 3 months of determined lifestyle effort is well worth the delay in the decision to medicate with very minimal risk. And maybe (probably) surprise the dr too. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago at 55mmol and chose not to medicate. Many many others in here at much higher levels did too with great results from low carb.

I’m thinking about taking that risk as I’ve done it before and gone into remission. I know I can do it so might ask for 3 months to see what she says. My Dr is really good to be fair- she was excellent with my auto immune diagnosis - stayed on top of it all, and has been informative about a lot of things. I’m just not sure how much choice there is once you’re diagnosed - whether we Are still able to say no..I’m going to try st any rate!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thinking about taking that risk as I’ve done it before and gone into remission. I know I can do it so might ask for 3 months to see what she says. My Dr is really good to be fair- she was excellent with my auto immune diagnosis - stayed on top of it all, and has been informative about a lot of things. I’m just not sure how much choice there is once you’re diagnosed - whether we Are still able to say no..I’m going to try st any rate!
Of course you have choice. It’s your body. They make recommendations you make decisions. They can’t force a treatment on you. For anything. (Exception: only a few serious mental health related issues that need sectioning). You can start a treatment then stop, or delay, or decline it