When were you given induction date please ?

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so my old consultant team ( diff area ) agreed to induction at 37 weeks and wrote that in my referral letter saying that's what I'd like to discuss ... to my new team ...
I meet new team tomorrow I have no idea on their rules for induction for type one ...
I'm really hoping they also agree to induction at 37 weeks ....
I'm 34 weeks on Wednesday this week ... so even though it's the first time meeting them ... it's all a bit rushed as they didn't send me an appointment till now ! They've made it last min due to me chasing up... will they book my date in tomorrow ?
Il only see them at 36 weeks after this ...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be too quick to get that baby out unless you are experiencing problems with your blood sugars, induction is a very risky process and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Reactions: kitty55

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes thanks for advice I have my reasons for this ... iv weighed both pros and cons up.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so my old consultant team ( diff area ) agreed to induction at 37 weeks and wrote that in my referral letter saying that's what I'd like to discuss ... to my new team ...
I meet new team tomorrow I have no idea on their rules for induction for type one ...
I'm really hoping they also agree to induction at 37 weeks ....
I'm 34 weeks on Wednesday this week ... so even though it's the first time meeting them ... it's all a bit rushed as they didn't send me an appointment till now ! They've made it last min due to me chasing up... will they book my date in tomorrow ?
Il only see them at 36 weeks after this ...

My induction date was booked around 34 weeks, I think. It was booked then because I wanted an actual day/time to work towards as I have other children.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't be too quick to get that baby out unless you are experiencing problems with your blood sugars, induction is a very risky process and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Induction is recommended for ladies with Type 1 at 37/38 weeks.

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tilly I'm currently 37+5. I was at my clinic yesterday & my consultant wants me to wait to closer to 39wks-apparently I've no indications for earlier induction & they believe baby best where it is for now. (Had a CTG trace and scanned yesterday). Up until yesterday they were very much wait and see how I was and how baby was-which was really frustrating as I too wanted a date!!
So I am now back to clinic next Monday at 38+4 for a vaginal exam with plan for induction on the Thursday at 39wks-although they haven't officially 'booked' me in-I find that frustrating as I would def like to know! However I was told after the exam on the Monday I might spontaneously go myself before Thursday. Hope that helps with your question, best of luck at appt.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Induction is recommended for ladies with Type 1 at 37/38 weeks.
It's only a recommendation and not based in any good research. Well controlled diabetes in pregnancy is obviously better than blood sugars that cause macrosomia but induction of labour is very risky and a source of awful iatrogenesis. It's about weighing up the risks of both and deciding on which set of risks to take.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou to the helpful ladies for replies I had my date booked today it's for may 31st :)
Scan Thursday then next in two weeks at 36 weeks
Consultants definitely were on board and said they prefer to induce them because of the risk of placenta failure etc etc the general v high risks for diabetics .... so I'm on tender hooks for 3 weeks but praying all is ok
My hba1c is still 31 which they said is incredible work and baby's weight so far looks healthy
Over all they're happy with my control though
Xx

Reactions: marie85

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's only a recommendation and not based in any good research. Well controlled diabetes in pregnancy is obviously better than blood sugars that cause macrosomia but induction of labour is very risky and a source of awful iatrogenesis. It's about weighing up the risks of both and deciding on which set of risks to take.

Read below my reply....
the risk is no way just a big baby.
If you research properly you will know that the risk of placenta failure and still born is a lot higher ...
my control is excellent . My hba1c is 31.
My baby is 50th centile on the charts .

Reactions: saruhbeau

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sound
Read below my reply....
the risk is no way just a big baby.
If you research properly you will know that the risk of placenta failure and still born is a lot higher ...
my control is excellent . My hba1c is 31.
My baby is 50th centile on the charts .

Excellent control and good luck. I know the research, I'm a Midwife.

Reactions: kitty55

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sound

Excellent control and good luck. I know the research, I'm a Midwife.
Thankyou
consultant was really helpful and said he prefers 37 week induction from experience in the job the risks of going over isn't worth it ... and have got two weekly scans now so I am on tenderhooks until baby's here but praying all is well

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes, thank you - I'm well aware of that : )

I read a huge amount of research prior to my induction, and beleve you me, I wouldn't have chosen induction if I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

I take issue with your statement that induction of labour "is very risky". I spent a lot of time in discussion with two OBs and although they mentioned the obvious risks that I was aware of anyway, they most certainly didn't refer to it as "very risky".

No woman reading this should think that induction is "very risky". They should take the advice and reassurance of their team and choose what's best for them.

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's fantastic control with you HBA1C! I have got mine down from 67 to 51 last time I was checked.

Seems like you have your answer now already but I am under Cambridges care for the baby because of the diabetes and have been told 36 - 38+ 4/5 they usually like to induce you by x

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last hba1c was 50 which I was pleased with so well done on that amazing control.
I been told at 32 weeks I will be discussing the plan. I'm very much undecided, so far at 27 weeks my weight is very steady hardly any gain, sugar is good, baby is where expected, but I don't want to be induced and left for days on a ward then end up having an emergency c section. My consultant is very good, but I think she has one plan and maybe mine is different. I hate not feeling in control and reading about risks still births etc really scares me. Lots to weigh up I suppose.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, thank you - I'm well aware of that : )

I read a huge amount of research prior to my induction, and beleve you me, I wouldn't have chosen induction if I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

I take issue with your statement that induction of labour "is very risky". I spent a lot of time in discussion with two OBs and although they mentioned the obvious risks that I was aware of anyway, they most certainly didn't refer to it as "very risky".

No woman reading this should think that induction is "very risky". They should take the advice and reassurance of their team and choose what's best for them.

Oh but they should, all the research tell us it is, it may not be as risky as continuing with a pregnancy but very risky it remains. I'm a Midwife of over 20 years and it's Midwives that actually do the inductions and obstetricians that have to come in and deal with the problems caused by them.

Of course women should listen to the opinion of their care team and then choose whats best for them, that's a given but sadly, most women are not given full information on which to base their decisions. Most see it as an easy way out of a pregnancy that's uncomfortable and draining. Women will often come in and lie to us about baby movements just to get an induction backed up by an induction guideline not based on any decent research other than speculation.

We know of the advice given to people here about diabetes from their HCP's that could potentially kill them, until the sufferer takes control and ignores that advice.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dispute that most women see induction as an easy way out, and in the case of women with diabetes the decision to be induced is one thought over a lot and discussed with OBs on a number of occasions.

Just because some people (Type 2s, I presume you mean) haven't been given the best advice from some HCPs dosnt mean every bit of advice from a HCP is wrong.

I appreciate the hard - and wonderful - work you do as a midwife, but scaremongering about induction being "very risky" is wrong and not helpful to the many pregnant ladies reading this.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a really smooth pregnancy with my consultant questioning whether I was even diabetic!! I think like @azure, I pushed to find out an induction date so I could plan etc and was given that at about 30 weeks.

I was induced at 37 weeks but nothing worked so after 4 days in hospital and 13 hours in "labour" with nothing progressing, I had an emergency csection and my little boy was born 6lb 6oz!

Good luck @Tilly_S x

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tilly_S, I was induced a bit earlier last week than the 39weeks I was told because of reduced movements (backed up by CTG trace etc). Induction was lengthy took 4 rounds of Prostin gel but progressed very quickly then. My beautiful baby girl was born weighing a very healthy 7lb5oz . Best of luck :)

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tilly_S, I was induced a bit earlier last week than the 39weeks I was told because of reduced movements (backed up by CTG trace etc). Induction was lengthy took 4 rounds of Prostin gel but progressed very quickly then. My beautiful baby girl was born weighing a very healthy 7lb5oz . Best of luck :)

Also just want to say thanks to anyone that corresponded to any of my queries...I posted only a few times but I kept a close eye on the forum as lots of us appear to have the same questions. I don't really want to post my whole birth story on this but if anyone has any specific questions or queries il be happy to share my experience x