When will I know my honeymoon period is over?

AmyGreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right long story short I've been diagnosed as Type 1, although I am probably Type 1.5 as i have been on insulin for over 2 years (been pregnant twice in that time) but i'm on still low doses of insulin. For the last week or so i've needed even less (think because i'm on a diet, eating better) and as someone else told me, the fact i'm eating better i'm probably preserving my insulin cells for that little bit longer. Currently on less than 1 unit to 10g carbs, before now, mainly on 1unit to 10g and in pregnany i did go up to as much as 3units to 10g for a little while.
When will I know my honeymoon period is over (or is it one of those things like labour, you will know about it)? One day will my blood sugars just be extremely high (for me), generally between 5s and 8s at the moment) and my current insulin doses, don't seem to work in the same way? if i were to take no insulin for example, (done this a couple of times and not had it with lunch etc or been busy) and then before dinner i could still be single figures, after honeymoon would i be at least double figures? sorry i know this isn't making sense, i'm not great at wording this at all. i guess i would just like to know how long i have left (gosh sounds like i'm dying) but as i was first diagnosed in sept 2012 during my first pregnany (10 weeks so was told i was probably diabetic before and for quite a while) i just want to know how long will i carry on like i am, but then i guess its how long is a piece of string isn't it?
i hope someone out there knows what i mean.

thanks

Goochie

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
How funny, I have been talking about this today. I took my son to diabetic clinic today. He is only on small amounts of insulin after a year and at some points does not need any. The doctor suggested a different type of disbetes MODY. He will be having more tests soon. This is a really interesting one as not a lot of doctors know about it and most just get the standard type 1 or 2 diagnoses but doesn't always fit properly. There are 4-6 different types within the MODY type. Have a look and suggest to doc as its just as important for you and your children to know and treat (more likely to pass to the children) but may be less or no injections just tablets. Good luck jx

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me I just needed more insulin than what i had previously, and adjusted accordingly. I tested a lot, and this forced me to acknowledge the old dosage wasn't doing what I needed it to do.