When will #s improve?

jennie_c

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found out I am diabetic yesterday. I have a history of gestational diabetes with three of my pregnancies. My last pregnancy two years ago I was on insulin. So I have my meter still. I was feeling unwell yesterday with blurry vision and very jittery. My glucose was 271 (15.1)!! I was in complete shock. Immediately went on a walk and I've been eating low carb ever since. My morning fasting number was 177 (9.8) despite eating low carb all day yesterday. I know it's early days. I just want to know that if I keep following the diet I will eventually see improvement?? I need some encouragement! I expect my doctor will put me on metformin which I was on during my pregnancy.
Any advice would be wonderful.

Reactions: filly

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found out I am diabetic yesterday. I have a history of gestational diabetes with three of my pregnancies. My last pregnancy two years ago I was on insulin. So I have my meter still. I was feeling unwell yesterday with blurry vision and very jittery. My glucose was 271 (15.1)!! I was in complete shock. Immediately went on a walk and I've been eating low carb ever since. My morning fasting number was 177 (9.8) despite eating low carb all day yesterday. I know it's early days. I just want to know that if I keep following the diet I will eventually see improvement?? I need some encouragement! I expect my doctor will put me on metformin which I was on during my pregnancy.
Your numbers will have been lowered as soon as you began to eat low carb and an ordinary type 2 diabetic should see continued reduction, down to normal numbers if avoiding high carb foods and drinks.
If you keep testing after meals it should not be difficult to see how you progress.
Good luck with the Metformin....

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
morning fasting number was 177 (9.8) despite eating low carb all day yesterday

Don't worry about your fasting levels for now, just concentrate on reducing your pre and post meal numbers by cutting out as many carbs as you can.
Our fasting numbers are usually the last to come down, our livers have an annoying habit of releasing some stored glucose to help us start our day. It's called the dawn phenomenon, although it can happen anytime we are emotionally or physically stressed. Our livers really like to help us out especially when our glucose levels have been high for a while and our bodies have been stuffing glucose anywhere it can to try and reduce blood sugar levels, that's why your eyes were blurred.
It takes a long time to develop T2, a few low carb meals really can't fix it, it takes a complete change of diet and lifestyle to put things right, but of course it's possible, lots of us have done it, so can you.

Reactions: jennie_c

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jennie and welcome

What a shock for you. But you will get lots of encouragement on this forum. The answer to your question 'if I keep following the low carb diet will I see improvement' is yes. Carbs turn to sugar so lowering carb intake will have an impact on your readings in a good way.

You have a blood glucose monitor so that's a great starting point. I've attached a guide to testing which will help. Keep a food diary. I recommend 'mysugr' app for recording your readings. You will soon see the foods you need to avoid or adjust portion size for.

Diet Doctor website is brilliant in my opinion. Lots of great info.

This book is one of my firm favourites, I bought it for £5 and is honestly one of my best investments to date:

The Diabetes Weight-Loss Cookbook: A life-changing diet to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes https://amzn.eu/d/bTURdJR

This short video from Dr Sarah Hallberg is excellent too:

I was threatened with metformin and statins but declined to see what I could do myself. Lowering my carbs had a very beneficial impact on my hba1c. Went from 62 to 47 in just a few weeks (symptoms including blurry vision disappeared) and on my 7 month check was in the 30s where it has remained ever since - almost 5 years since my type 2 diagnosis and still no medication.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-210608_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-210608_WhatsApp.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 94