Where are you keeping your insulin?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told not to refrigerate the insulin I am using, humulin I and novorapid. However, I think the hot weather has rendered the novorapid ineffective. I have had horrible readings the past few days. Tonight I got a new pen out of the fridge and the results are more what I would expect. The pen has gone back in the fridge.

Can I keep the novorapid in the fridge?

Sorry if this post cancels summer.

Reactions: NaijaChick

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry if this post cancels summer.
I live in hope!

I’m on a pump, so the insulin in that is attached to my body at all times - it’s working fine. When I had pens, I’d keep them in a Frio pouch in my bag in hot weather.

Reactions: xfieldok

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Keeping in the fridge is fine.
The only reason they say not to is because in normal temperatures you can keep them anywhere for up to a month, which obviously is more convenient, and because some people find cold insulin stings. That last is easily remedied by warming it up with body heat for a minute before injecting.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keeping in the fridge is fine.
The only reason they say not to is because in normal temperatures you can keep them anywhere for up to a month, which obviously is more convenient, and because some people find cold insulin stings. That last is easily remedied by warming it up with body heat for a minute before injecting.
Thanks, will keep in the fridge until these temperatures come down. Used to warm up the dog's insulin in case it stung.

D

Deleted Account

The other thing to be aware of with chilled insulin is it is more likely to get bubbles when cold.
I too have a pump and was told not to fill the pump from a vial direct in the fridge of this reason.

Bear in mind the heat can affect our insulin resistance/sensitivity. Some find they need more insulin when hot and some need less. This may be why you find your insulin is less effective.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The humulin seems to be ok. The novorapid has had minimal effect, very short lived and sometimes no effect at all. I have been taking 10 units at a time, DN thinks this is very high, but I am being led by the libre.

I am not bolusing for carbs and I don't think the DN can get her head around this.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Bubbles aren't an issue with pens. They can't reach the needle.

Going off topic, but are you meant to expel a unit of insulin when you change the needle on a pen? I keep forgetting to ask my DSN.... doesn't seem like there would be much air in a needle....

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going off topic, but are you meant to expel a unit of insulin when you change the needle on a pen? I keep forgetting to ask my DSN.... doesn't seem like there would be much air in a needle....
2 units according to the instructions.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's to check if the needle works. With very small amounts of insulin the air in the needle might make a differnce in the dosage, not sure about that.

RobsterUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GP's not taking any real notice in my symptoms & losing drastic amounts of weight
It's to check if the needle works. With very small amounts of insulin the air in the needle might make a differnce in the dosage, not sure about that.

You should prime the new needle with 2 units, if there is an air bubble, holding the pen upright, slight tap (flick of finger) then squirt the 2 units upwards & then hold the pen button in for 5 seconds usually releases trapped air.
You should see a small drop of insulin on the needle tip.
Priming ensures you get the correct dose