Where can i go from here?

Dazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, im after you advice regarding type 2 diabetes. Ive been a diabetic for over 15yrs. The last 2 years have been a nightmare. My mum died after a short illness and my wife has struggled with employment. On top of this i was diagnosed with clinical depression and sleep apnoea. During this time my sugar levels have ranged between 10 - 22. GP continues to play around with medications in order to get it under control but nothing ever works. Im currently on Glimepiride 4mg, Metform 1000mg twice and day and Empagliflozin 25mg. I was on liraglutide but that didnt have any affects. Im struggling keeping awake, not able to do any forms of activity, short tempered and have become suicidal. I am abit overweight and know losing a few pounds could help but with the low mood and other things my head isnt in the right place to start eating rabbit food. I dont over eat, the trouble is that i can go from getting up from work at 7am to eating at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I physcially feel sick most mornings and just drink water and a couple of coffees. I desparate to get on something that will make a difference in my life. I dont know if the suicidal feelings are down to my glucose levels or because im still greiving for my mum. Is Insulin a route to go down?
Thanks for reading

Darren

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered changing your diet?

At diagnosis I started keto and that is certainly not rabbit food. Egg and bacon for breakfast followed by coffee with double cream.

What are you currently eating in a typical day.?

If you can reduce your numbers your mood may well improve. If you could do with shedding a few pounds, you could improve or even stop the sleep apnoea.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, im after you advice regarding type 2 diabetes. Ive been a diabetic for over 15yrs. The last 2 years have been a nightmare. My mum died after a short illness and my wife has struggled with employment. On top of this i was diagnosed with clinical depression and sleep apnoea. During this time my sugar levels have ranged between 10 - 22. GP continues to play around with medications in order to get it under control but nothing ever works. Im currently on Glimepiride 4mg, Metform 1000mg twice and day and Empagliflozin 25mg. I was on liraglutide but that didnt have any affects. Im struggling keeping awake, not able to do any forms of activity, short tempered and have become suicidal. I am abit overweight and know losing a few pounds could help but with the low mood and other things my head isnt in the right place to start eating rabbit food. I dont over eat, the trouble is that i can go from getting up from work at 7am to eating at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I physcially feel sick most mornings and just drink water and a couple of coffees. I desparate to get on something that will make a difference in my life. I dont know if the suicidal feelings are down to my glucose levels or because im still greiving for my mum. Is Insulin a route to go down?
Thanks for reading

Darren
Hi Dazza,

There's still lots of ground to be won through diet, and no, no rabbit food required. Better yet, there's a low carb diet variant that is all meat, all the time, and I don't see bunnies going nuts on meat. (Although I seem to remember rather bloodthirsty ones in a Python's Grail). https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this, however, does incorporate vegetables etc as well, so it may be a point to start, if you're interested. Could well be a way to avoid insulin, and reduce the medication you're on. If it seems do-able to you, you might also want to read dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code, as well as have a look around the dietdoctor.com website.

I have quite a few mental issues of a clinical nature, meaning they'll never go away. But, that said, they CAN improve. And they have, on a low carb diet. High blood sugars feed into depression and anxiety, (yes, up to the point of suicidal tendencies) and make matters that much worse. Normalise your bloodsugars and one day you might realise that boulder's been rolled off of your chest for a while already, and you didn't even notice, because it went so gradually. Light does start shining through in the darkness, if you give it a go. If you don't care enough about the T2 to try a diet, then try it because wanting to die all the time just feels so absolutely horrible, and it can't possibly be what your mum wanted for you in life. You don't deserve to feel that way. You don't.

Hugs,
Jo

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi Dazza,

I can appreciate what you having been going through there has been days I thought I would die.People have given excellent advice. What worked me is that I took it the day at a time and tried to concentrate on 1 or 2 things and a next day another 1 0r 2 things. After a month I realized everything was different.

I got extremely irritated when people told me this too shall pass. I response back yeah like a frggin' huge kidney stone. If you need talk more just send a personal message

Dave

Reactions: Dazza74

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi

I would take it each day as it comes.

I would start by going low Carb. That will help get the blood sugars down. Also once your body get use to it., It wont take long. Youll have more energy, which hopefully help with the mood.

Also I would suggest exercising as it is proven to help with depression. Start by walking and then get the couch to 5km app. Does wonders once you get your firest running high you will want to get running regularly.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for posting here, asking for help /advice. That’s the first step. It’s not easy to do. Many people would not ask for advice. This shows strength. a glimpse that you can help yourself, which is why we are ALL here. There is hope.

I found the first thing to do, with regard to depression/suicidal thoughts, is nothing... just hold on.. it’s faulty thinking, and despite how truly awful you feel, it will ease slightly. Hold on. If you feel worse call Samaritans.

You must feel tired . exhausted a lot?

Please check back in with all of us on. Many people will have read this, but not commented... hundreds if not thousands of us have had depression... you were braver - stronger to reach out.

Please, Let us know how you are doing, and others wiser than me will guide you... with regards to the diabetes. It’s all linked... things will get better... this community will point you in the direction...things will get better... you are NOT ALONE.