Where do I go from here?

Emerald14

I joined the forum last June when I was diagnosed with pre diabetes. My hba1c was 45 and the glucose tolerance test came out at 10.9. After going back to the nurse for my results the only advice I was given at the time was to treat it as type 2 and go easy on grapes. Though she did refer me to a dietician who showed the the eat well plate etc. I declined to take the eat well plate advice, got myself a code free monitor and have mainly followed what I have read on this forum, I have more or less stayed in the back ground and gathered information from you all, which I am very grateful for.
I've managed to lose about 24lbs and now weigh 9st 12lbs and am 5ft 2".
I have just got my results from my recent hbA1c , I rang the surgery and the receptionist just said that the nurse said it was " normal". I then asked for a print out and hba1c is 40.
I am very pleased with this, but have had no advice as to where this leaves me.
I would be pleased to know what you all think, presumably I must carry on as usual with hflc diet or I will be back where I started?
Thank you to you all for unknowingly helping me this far.

Reactions: 11 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Emerald14 ,

Take a look at my signature it is very similar although I was deemed to be diabetic.

I am not due to see the doctor till next Friday but when I see him I am going to be telling him that I want to continue doing the same I still have
1 1/2st to lose to be optimum.

I was going to stay on the medication for the next 3 months and then have a review.

Providing you do not increase weight you can try reintroducing some carbs and see how you test, if that is what you want to do.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!! That is brilliant.

It means you are back down to non-diabetic levels, but your pre-diabetes was a warning that you are predisposed to diabetes. I think you can relax a bit, have an odd treat but don't go mad, and keep an eye on your levels a couple of times a week. Don't let it slip back up again, and try and keep your weight down as you are hovering on the maximum of healthy BMI at 25. Otherwise, enjoy!!

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Very nicely done. Ignoring the "healthy" plate diet was the best thing I did for my diabetes. Although, to be fair to my current diabetes nurse says she thinks that it has too much carb content.

I say carry on with your low carb high fat diet - it's a very healthy way of eating if done right in my opinion. I'm just guessing, but I assume all your other test results are normal?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I joined the forum last June when I was diagnosed with pre diabetes. My hba1c was 45 and the glucose tolerance test came out at 10.9. After going back to the nurse for my results the only advice I was given at the time was to treat it as type 2 and go easy on grapes. Though she did refer me to a dietician who showed the the eat well plate etc. I declined to take the eat well plate advice, got myself a code free monitor and have mainly followed what I have read on this forum, I have more or less stayed in the back ground and gathered information from you all, which I am very grateful for.
I've managed to lose about 24lbs and now weigh 9st 12lbs and am 5ft 2".
I have just got my results from my recent hbA1c , I rang the surgery and the receptionist just said that the nurse said it was " normal". I then asked for a print out and hba1c is 40.
I am very pleased with this, but have had no advice as to where this leaves me.
I would be pleased to know what you all think, presumably I must carry on as usual with hflc diet or I will be back where I started?
Thank you to you all for unknowingly helping me this far.

Well done getting your bloods down below the magic number!

Looking at the BMI calculator, it seems you're juuuuuuuuuuuust creeping into the overweight area (9st 11lbs is the tipping point!), so I might try to drop a few more pounds to bring myself into the Healthy range, and take that conversation out of any future review. It's also a good upper target to keep within for weight, if that would be motivational for you.

Well done though, but I'd urge you to stick with eating to your meter. You'll be fine. :)

Emerald14

Thank you all for your replies. Yes @ no carbs4 me am thinking all other results were in the normal range, the hba1c was the only one on the page they gave me. I think, yes I must continue more or less as I'm doing up to now, also lose a bit more weight.
I had a hot pot at the weekend, homemade so know what went in it, probably I had a few more potatoes than usual. Followed by a pear. 2 hrs later I was 8.2. Retested and was 7.8.
I must say I had to work hard to get the hba1c down to 40 and was fairly strict. So it looks like as you say@ bluetit, a few treats, but feel I could easily slip back if I'm not careful.
Have just ordered Trudi's book tonight so that should spur us all on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

You know this already, but please beware of complacency!
It is so easy, and so natural for us to lapse back, in an insidious, carb creeping sort of way. I think it would be inhuman if we didn't have this tendency...

Maybe do a few tests.
Increase the carbs, inch by inch, until you know your personal carb limit (the point at which you start gaining weight). Then you have a nice clear boundary to live below.

No need to deprive yourself unnecessarily ;)

Emerald14

Thanks @Brunneria your advice is spot on. I really must not let myself slip into old habits, which I did yesterday - carb wise and slightly sugar wise too. Think in my mind I felt like I was celebrating a certain 'freedom' even though the sensible part of me was saying -not a good idea. Since June I have read many of your posts, and learned, as I have from all the regulars who post on here and I thank you all so much.

Reactions: 8 people