Where to get test strips when youre away from home?

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello.

Ive been type 1 for 26 years. Im visiting a grieving freind and due to unfortunate circumstances, had to extend my stay for a few days.
Not having enough test strips for my verio iq to last me the additional few days, i went to the st melor doctors in amesbury to register as a temporary resident in order to get the test strips on prescription.
I was told if i need a blood glucose test, id have to go to the nearest walkin centre.
After some persuasion, they (reception staff) said they would sort a prescription.
When i collected the prescription form, they had issued the wrong test strips and refused to correct. I was then told to go amd buy the test strips from a pharmacy.
So far i have had to manage my insulin injections in a blinded fashion for 24 hours and will travel home in another 24 hours so ill think ill be fine on this occassion.

I was wondering what is the usual course of action if a diabetic needs to urgently get hold of some test strips (for example if you are on holiday or away from home (within the uk). Should i have gone straight to a chemist for test strips or was i just unlucky and had visited the wrong doctors surgery for help?

Many thanks

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our GP Surgery are able to Fax prescriptions directly to a Chemist shop. I suppose it would be possible for them to Fax to where you are as long as they can identify you over the phone.

I tend to have a belt and braces attitude when I am away from home. Everything I need on me, plus spares including a spare meter in the car.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would have just done the same as you MonoJono, failing that I would have just bought some to see me over until I got back home.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
I always put my script in 7-10 days early so build up a good stock of drugs and strips. They either don't mind or can't be bothered to check !