• One Touch Select

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Which glucometer do you use? What did you tried, but it failed?
I found info that these three are good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that the answer to your question will depend on whether you are self funding or not..
With the costs of test strips a major factor in those that have to self fund.

D

Deleted Account

What is important to you?
Size of meter?
Size of screen / text?
Cost of meter?
Cost of test strips?
Do you want/need just glucometer or also ketone? (Some meters do both)
How important is test strip packaging? I hate the waste involved with individually wrapped strips but love that I can take one or two out.
How much memory do you want on the meter?
Do you want to be able to easily download the results?
Do you want the meter to have some intelligence such as being able to calculate insulin doses?

Some of these things may not bother you others may be very important.
Once you have worked out what matters to you, it will help you decide.

FYI, I have a Freestyle Optimum Neo
- It is small
- It is easy to download the results
- It is rugged so I discarded the carry case that came with it months ago
- does ketone and BG readings
- I don't have to fund my own meter or test strips

Reactions: AmandaDi

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just received a free TEE2 blood monitor after finding the link on this forum and the cost of strips seams reasonable. It will be nice to be able to monitor myself and not to be reliant on my Diabetic Nurse. My first reading 2 hrs after breakfast (bacon, egg, mushroom and tomato) is 11.4.

Reactions: Mark_1

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an Accu Chek Mobile. See https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/mobile

It was provided for me by my diabetes nurse.

Advantages
  1. Built in finger pricker
  2. Uses cassette instead of test strips
  3. Portable - has free carry case when you register
Disadvantages
  1. Cassette has 50 tests and expires 3 months after first use
  2. Cassette of 50 tests cost around £15.57 at Boots

Reactions: TifferG

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find it's a little bit frustrating when I hear some people are supplied with monitors and strips on the NHS and others are told there not available. Shouldn't we all be treated equally.

Reactions: TifferG

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use an SD Code Free, after taking advice from this fantastic Forum. As I have to self fund I wanted the most affordable.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was to select a meter now I'd probably go for the SD Codefree due to the low cost of the test strips, which have to be a major consideration if you have to self-fund. I'd not heard of this meter when I was first looking neary four years ago.

My original meter was an Accuchek Nano which is a very tiny neat, fairly versatile meter and was on a special offer on Amazon when I first needed to buy one. I still use the Fastclik pricker that came with it, and this device was a major decision maker for me as I had a bit of a needle phobia, and it got very good reviews and as a bonus you never actually see any needle!

But my current meter is a Contour Next - I very much like the way it can handle and analyse my test results for me in itself as well as uploaded to its computer software.

Robbity

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started with an SD Codefree and have tried both the Accuchek nano and mobile, all self funded. Like Robbity I'd recommend the fastclik over the lancer that comes with the Codefree, particularly if you plan to change lancets frequently (some people do, some people don't).

I've been using the Accuchek mobile recently, more expensive but I like that it's all self contained, so no used strips floating around the bottom of my page. Not needing a special cable to plug it into a PC is great, just a micro-USB cable and instant access to reports and test info in CSV format. Had no problems with the SD codefree, just find the Accuchek mobile more convenient.

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think that the answer to your question will depend on whether you are self funding or not..
With the costs of test strips a major factor in those that have to self fund.

Thanks a lot. I've already understood that I had to ask and explain more details. In the comment below, I got so many questions. But answering on your one, I am self-funding.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well in that case the SD Codefree that I use has the cheapest strips and has stood me in good stead for the past 2 years of monitoring.

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is important to you?
Size of meter?
Size of screen / text?
Cost of meter?
Cost of test strips?
Do you want/need just glucometer or also ketone? (Some meters do both)
How important is test strip packaging? I hate the waste involved with individually wrapped strips but love that I can take one or two out.
How much memory do you want on the meter?
Do you want to be able to easily download the results?
Do you want the meter to have some intelligence such as being able to calculate insulin doses?

Some of these things may not bother you others may be very important.
Once you have worked out what matters to you, it will help you decide.

FYI, I have a Freestyle Optimum Neo
- It is small
- It is easy to download the results
- It is rugged so I discarded the carry case that came with it months ago
- does ketone and BG readings
- I don't have to fund my own meter or test strips

Thank you for this reply! I didn't think about all these details. Especially, about test strip packaging:joyful: But I understand that many men, many minds. I chose those glucometers in my question because I found them here https://www.bestadviser.in/glucometers , and thought they could be good. I'll take into account that you use Freestyle Optimum Neo. This brand even has a good site, now reading about them https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/about-us .
But I got it that I need to think about more details, what can matter.

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well in that case the SD Codefree that I use has the cheapest strips and has stood me in good stead for the past 2 years of monitoring.

Thanks for such a quick reply. I began to search info about it. And found out that this forum has even YouTube channel :wideyed: and this good review

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just received a free TEE2 blood monitor after finding the link on this forum and the cost of strips seams reasonable. It will be nice to be able to monitor myself and not to be reliant on my Diabetic Nurse. My first reading 2 hrs after breakfast (bacon, egg, mushroom and tomato) is 11.4.

Reasonable cost does matter, thank you. I got so good advices here, it makes me glad:cat:

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use an SD Code Free, after taking advice from this fantastic Forum. As I have to self fund I wanted the most affordable.

I agree this forum is really fantastic! A few minutes ago I've found out it has even the YouTube channel :wideyed::)

Reactions: Rachox

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The wonderful people at the NHS gave me a Freestyle optimum neo. It works but the finger pricky thing can be temperamental.

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I started with an SD Codefree and have tried both the Accuchek nano and mobile, all self funded. Like Robbity I'd recommend the fastclik over the lancer that comes with the Codefree, particularly if you plan to change lancets frequently (some people do, some people don't).

I've been using the Accuchek mobile recently, more expensive but I like that it's all self contained, so no used strips floating around the bottom of my page. Not needing a special cable to plug it into a PC is great, just a micro-USB cable and instant access to reports and test info in CSV format. Had no problems with the SD codefree, just find the Accuchek mobile more convenient.

Your method sounds so comfortable. But I'm afraid my granny won't manage to measure it in this way. It seems to me it can be difficult for her.

AmandaDi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The wonderful people at the NHS gave me a Freestyle optimum neo. It works but the finger pricky thing can be temperamental.
Thanks for your reply. I've already been advised to purchase it in comments above. Are there any disadvantages in this glucometer?

Reactions: Robbieswan