Which internet browser would you recommend

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
It's that simple. I need to upgrade my browser from Internet Explorer 8 to something else. Have you done this and what were the results?

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
A lot of folk are turning to Chrome as it is supposed to be quicker etc, I upgraded from Internet Explorer years ago and hve been using Firefox ever since. I am old-ish and I cant get away with the new look browsers, I prefer the older firefox look and so far even the new versions of firefox allow you to customize the look so you can get back to the old look.

I have been tempted with Chrome in the past but I just cant get away with its interface. If there was a way of fully customizing so it was to my liking then I would look again at it. For now though I'm happy with firefox it does everything I ask of it, I do still have Internet Exlporer installed for those rare occasions when firefox is not supported.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
As a 'tech wizard', I recommend Chrome. It's more secure than many of the browsers and is devilishly simple. Not to mention that it's very fast. Firefox is a good option too - it's like a blend between Chrome and later versions of IE. Totally your call though :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've tried 'em all and Chrome is my preferred choice

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Same I use Chrome, faster and easier. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Refused to change from IE8 despite kids saying Chrome was much faster, eventually give in and pleased I did :)

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Thanks to all. It looks like Chrome then. If I don't like it I can always change back. Is there anything google doesn't do? (apart from pay it's fair share of tax?)

FatIdol

Internet explorer 9 is super fast, and you don't have to open millions of windows, you can drag tabs into other windows. It doesn't crash as much either.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
FatIdol said:
Internet explorer 9 is super fast, and you don't have to open millions of windows, you can drag tabs into other windows. It doesn't crash as much either.

Really? I've found the opposite to be true and ditched it.

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a Firefox guy for years various flavors of it and even some home brew versions
But more and more I am using chrome
So I'd say chrome

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Chrome or Firefox are probably the best of the bunch with Opera not too far behind, all are far better and faster than Internet Explorer.
I have never even tried Safari as it is Apples browser and I am not a fan of "My way or the highway" companies or people for that matter :D

My personal choice is Firefox and I also use the Thunderbird email client from the same Mozilla stable but only because I have been using the Firefox browser for years before Chrome was available and although I keep trying Chrome I always seem to go back to Firefox for some reason.

I started using Thunderbird after instaling Windows 7 when Microsoft dropped Outlook Express, Thunderbird integrates perfectly and as I have numerous email accounts from different suppliers it is easier to have them all in one place rather than having to log into several different emails.

ANDROID Users
The Dolphin browser is the fastest Android browser by a long way, consistently beating both Chrome and Firefox and much much faster than the slowcoach default Android browser.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Sid Bonkers said:
Chrome or Firefox are probably the best of the bunch with Opera not too far behind, all are far better and faster than Internet Explorer.
I have never even tried Safari as it is Apples browser and I am not a fan of "My way or the highway" companies or people for that matter :D

My personal choice is Firefox and I also use the Thunderbird email client from the same Mozilla stable but only because I have been using the Firefox browser for years before Chrome was available and although I keep trying Chrome I always seem to go back to Firefox for some reason.

I started using Thunderbird after instaling Windows 7 when Microsoft dropped Outlook Express, Thunderbird integrates perfectly and as I have numerous email accounts from different suppliers it is easier to have them all in one place rather than having to log into several different emails.

ANDROID Users
The Dolphin browser is the fastest Android browser by a long way, consistently beating both Chrome and Firefox and much much faster than the slowcoach default Android browser.
I actually find Firefox to be the best browser on Android, far better than Chrome. I did used to use Dolphin but found that I much prefer the layout of Firefox on my phone and prefer the way it renders websites. As far as Android goes though, I use a custom ROM called MIUI and the stock browser on there is much better than the default one that is distributed with ICS and JB.

Good call on Thunderbird though, I use that rather than Outlook. I generally try to avoid Microsoft products aside from Word, Excel etc.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
The consensus is Chrome and rightly so in my opinion but it does have its quirks - don't they all? Using Yahoo with Explorer was so so so so so so slow but when I changed to Chrome it was like being back in the UK living next to a telephone exchange, i.e., the best place to reside for Broadband. Do not, of course, remove Explorer from your system if using Windows.

general_zod

As a computer expert, I will give you a list of what I think

Internet Explorer = Avoid like the plague its too slow for modern surfing. Just because it is bundled with windows it is not that good.

Firefox = Yes its open source, its much better than IE you can add on a load of stuff which makes you do other things, but it can be a little complicated for novices if not understood properly, it can be fast, but my it eats memory(RAM) like a glutton and can seriously slow your browsing experience to a literal crawl, also Java seems to crash it allot, which is annoying. for security and privacy it is top notch though. If you have a mac you will find no problems using it also

Chrome = Its Google, apparently not "Evil", your favourite search engine who wants your data when you search now wants to integrate that functionality inside your browser. Furthermore the browser experience improves if you get a Google account as you can get integrated mail and free 5 GB cloud storage, but be warned Google wants to know everything about you, so they can improve your internet experience, so if you dont mind and you like looking at ads targeted at your favourite things based on your search history or default tracking of your cookies, then yeah. It is fast also.

Safari = If you like apple then this could be the browsing experience for you, Its really pretty and does a good job, fanbois ( i.e fans) would cry sacrilege for you not using it. It is pretty fast, it will mean you will need to learn how to "surf" the apple way. But its a nice experience

Opera = No I am not talking about well proportioned ladies wailing in a theatre. This browser is very nice, a interesting one, blindingly fast very easy to use and understandable also. just install and run. It is very geared towards the user and can be used by novices and expert "surfers".

So what would be my choice, well I am a bit of a firefox addict, I mainly use for work, because it is good in my line of work, because of the addons it uses.

But sometimes I always say to those who have windows do not use Internet explorer its a beastly program.

But if you want a uncomplicated experience without the complete info overload then Opera is your best bet.

L

Luna21

I've tried them all, as my son is a techy wizard, and comes and sorts out my computer on a regular basis, but Chrome gets the thumbs up from me too. Quicker, easy to use and you can add many things to it as well if you are so inclined. :thumbup: