Which milk to use?

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I love coffee, well cappuccino actually. I drink probably too much although I usually gave decaf. I use semi skimmed milk but should I switch to skimmed? Or something else?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To what end?
I drink percolated coffee with cream, because I like it and I avoid lactose as it is a sugar, and I can't cope with that.
Semi skimmed milk has sugar, so does skimmed. I'm not sure that it is good for you to drink quantities of it.

Reactions: L1ncslass

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have full fat milk in my tea but double cream in my decaff. The carbs in milk differ but not by much but there are far, far fewer carbs in double cream.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have skimmed milk in my tea.
When I used to eat cereal, I had full fat milk.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use double cream in my tea; whole milk if cream is not available.

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love coffee, well cappuccino actually. I drink probably too much although I usually gave decaf. I use semi skimmed milk but should I switch to skimmed? Or something else?

Depends, are you following a LCHF diet? If so then use double cream, skimmed & semi-skimmed milk contain more lactose [sugar] than full fat milk and cream has an even lower amount of lactose.

Reactions: Red_river_
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have coffee black or with full cream milk and a sweetener. I limit the milk to half a cup a day for rea and coffee and another half for cearals

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends, are you following a LCHF diet? If so then use double cream, skimmed & semi-skimmed milk contain more lactose [sugar] than full fat milk and cream has an even lower amount of lactose.
From the Tesco website Whole Milk has 4.7% carbs, Skimmed Milk has 5.0% carbs so for a 40ml addition to tea or coffee that makes a difference of 0.12g of carbs.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sure there are far more important things to worry about. The difference between Skimmed, Semi-Skimmed & Normal Milk is minuscule so unless you are drinking litres of the stuff.......

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
In reality it probably makes very little difference unless you have a large amount.
For years I drank skimmed milk because "healthy".
Once on LCHF I had to reevaluate everything and realised skimmed milk was a weak sugar solution and not much else.
Double cream, however, was a rich source of fats and had less carbohydrate per 100 grams than other forms of milk.

I don't often eat yogurt because I used to have it with a breakfast cereal but when I do I have a struggle to find full fat instead of sugar enhanced Lo Fat offerings.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not drink little amounts of crwam or full fat if you enjoy them? Lactose or milk sugar is low GI and if it is packaged with fat that slows its ansorption down so personally I don' t worry about that but do avoid choccy sprinkles ( cinammon or nutmeg are alternatives) and aim for only 1 cappucino a day then americano s the rest of the time. XxCoffeè addict and T1!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would use either cream or lactofree full fat milk.
The cream I use has 2.6g of carbs per 100ml
the lactofree milk (full fat) has 2.8g of carbs per 100ml
Both significantly lower than regular milk with skimmed semi or whole.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank for all the replies. I'm not sure I could go for cream in coffee to be honest and as the carbs in the difference milks seem similar I'll just still to the semi skimmed - but maybe cut back on the amount of cups I'm having.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank for all the replies. I'm not sure I could go for cream in coffee to be honest and as the carbs in the difference milks seem similar I'll just still to the semi skimmed - but maybe cut back on the amount of cups I'm having.

Perhaps test before and after to see what milk does to your levels. We all react differently to the same foods. As you have quite a few of these coffees in a day, it is important you know how much they affect you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I googled cappuccino and it seems to have about 8 gm of carb per half pint made with low fat milk - that is a whole breakfast for me!!

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I googled cappuccino and it seems to have about 8 gm of carb per half pint made with low fat milk - that is a whole breakfast for me!!

Oh wow! I do really need to rethink this. I suppose in a whole day the most cappuccinos I have is about 3 - I make them myself normally. The rest of the time I make have 1 or 2 mugs of tea. All the cups in our house are large - so yes all the drinks are large too!

On the plus side - I've stopped eating the biscuits!

Reactions: Crystalwand

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just a thought - would unsweetened almond milk be a good trade of instead of semi skimmed milk?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every little helps - I am far stricter as a fully paid up member of the diabetes club - but I have at most two cups of coffee with double cream so that I can have what carbs I can manage as highly nutritious foods - so they all come along with vitamins and minerals, fibre and flavour too.