1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which pump?

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by Tomm95, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Tomm95

Tomm95 · Newbie

Hi I'm 20 and have been type 1 for 3 years. I'm applying for a pump atm so would be good know which one to go for. If you've got personal experience with a good one I'd appreciate the advice

2. Mdadds

Mdadds Type 1 · Member

Hi Tomm95 I got a pump 1 year ago and it has changed my life, the pump I got is Medtronic 640 it is water proof so can go in the sea and swimming pool without worrying about it.it can be easily remove and put back again, I wear it at the gym and the steam room no problem.

3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Tomm95 the first step is really to find out what pumps are supported at your clinic. There's not a lot of point in getting recommendations for pumps that won't actually be available to you should your pump application be successful. So ask your clinic what pumps they offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

If your UK based you might be given the choice of 3 to choose from, as @catapillar says try and find out which pumps your clinic supports. Best wishes and good luck with getting the approval :)

5. Amy993

Amy993 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am going on an omnipod in 2 weeks time. Am currently on a saline filled pod, as a practice to get used to it. I like it already as its completely waterproof and tubeless.

6. Emelliott_

Emelliott_ Type 1 · Newbie

Hi @Tomm95 I've been on a few different pumps and I would say that either the Medtronic or the accu chek Aviva insight were my favourite, some of the others I found were just really clunky and awkward, the Medtronic was really nice and easy to use
    Good luck

7. paulliljeros

paulliljeros Other · Well-Known Member

It's worth listing down a few of the reasons you want a pump, simply as they will help steer you towards the most appropriate pump of those available. Also, consider buying the book "Pumping Insulin". The first 5 or 6 chapters are worth reading in advance, as they also give a good insight into what you should do to prepare, what questions you should be asking, and what you need to consider. Good luck, I hope all goes well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook