White bread worse than chocolate?

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I'm comparing a roll of bread with an entire 125g milk chocolate table.

Ah, well then we are very different. The chocolate would send me through the roof in comparison to a roll of white bread.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I just recently posted a very similar question about sweets vs starches in the LCHF forum! The explanation I got was along the lines of what NoCrbs4Me's is saying here about sucrose vs glucose. I had never before heard about fructose acting differently either--my dietitian definitely either didn't know or chose not to mention this to me! It seems to contrary to "common sense" that I can have some "unhealthy" chocolate or licorice, but not "healthy" whole grain bread or brown rice, but that seems to be the way my body responds to things. Anyway, the good news is, a bit of chocolate (I do the very dark low-sugar) or some blueberries now & then seem to go well.

Re the blueberries - 100g is 14g carbs whereas 100g of strawberry is just 8g:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, wow. I can't eat anything like 100g. More like 10-25 g. Sadly, allergic to strawberries, but that is interesting that they are lower in sugar!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Oh, wow. I can't eat anything like 100g. More like 10-25 g. Sadly, allergic to strawberries, but that is interesting that they are lower in sugar!

Ahhh shame about the strawbs...the others are also rich in flavonoids:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

15/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ah, well then we are very different. The chocolate would send me through the roof in comparison to a roll of white bread.
If you're on insulin you will be soaking some up with your long lasting insulin.
On no insulin I have an easier time on sugar rather than white bleached flour. I still spike a lot but no delayed carb effect. I'm on insulin by its only active for 8 hours. It might get changed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you're on insulin you will be soaking some up with your long lasting insulin.
On no insulin I have an easier time on sugar rather than white bleached flour. I still spike a lot but no delayed carb effect. I'm on insulin by its only active for 8 hours. It might get changed.
I think there's more going on with you than "delayed carbs". In a person with a normal digestive system, nearly all breads are digested within 2-4 hours (even with butter as a spread). As a Type 1 diabetic, I'd concur with this view in terms of insulin profile. If you are seeing bread causing blood glucose rises 12 hours after eating it, then your digestive system is moving incredibly slowly.