Who’s to blame ?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can get vegetarian lard! And traditional Xmas pudding contains lard.
I knew Christmas puds contain suet - my Mum makes them with veggie suet nowadays - but didn't know they also contained lard.
Google tells me they are different things ... now I know.

Mince pies also contain suet. I guess "hard white fat from the kidneys and loins of animals" was quite a Christmas delicacy in the olden days.

Reactions: Spirit01

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh bless you, thank you for sharing that, I hope I don’t offend but that made me laugh out loud. My mum is now the opposite to when we were kids because she now watches daytime TV & reads magazines so she’a food expert. Mind you, it changes almost daily depending on what she’s read or watched bless her and as she’s a cross between Mrs Brown and Nan (Catherine Tate) I just tend to go with the flow.
I treat it all with a SOH? My mum had been on holiday with my sister for a week. When she came back I was looking after her.
So I took or to this “club” (day care centre.) my sister informed me mum had got these sticks of rock for her friends there.

So, I park up & walk mum through the door & as we pass the reception with 2 care workers. My mum looks down at the bundle of rock in her hands & asks, “what am I meant to do with these?”

… “Just walk down the hall, light the end. Place it on the ground & calmly walk away.”

My mum likes to sing.
she will break into song at any given moment. Even picking up on “hooks” in tunes not her era?
Usually whilst I’m trying to cook…

Anyhow. One day after a bit of crazy banter regarding what was for dinner.
I happened to have my iPad handy whilst she broke into song..
I let her “freestyle” on GarageBand to an idea I was playing about with.

I’ve also got footage of this 91 year old throwing shapes on the dance floor to classic disco.

We have a great laugh. But there can also be times when I need explain in confusion where her parents are…
Also the odd hallucination..? (Seeing people sat in chairs that are not there. Easier one to explain. Lift the soft furnishings.)

Devon’s answer to “Lady ga ga..” :cool: she still likes to glam up.

Reactions: Pipp and Spirit01

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Proper lardy cake (and yes - I grew up in Hampshire) is devastatingly delicious. with that irresistible combination of light fluffy dough, spices, sugar, dried fruit and fat that tickles all the addiction parts of the brain. But most shop lardy cake is not worth disturbing one's BG for. As far as I am concerned, it is another item on the list of things that are really poison by another name. But back in the day.......

• Agree
Reactions: jessj

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
I treat it all with a SOH? My mum had been on holiday with my sister for a week. When she came back I was looking after her.
So I took or to this “club” (day care centre.) my sister informed me mum had got these sticks of rock for her friends there.

So, I park up & walk mum through the door & as we pass the reception with 2 care workers. My mum looks down at the bundle of rock in her hands & asks, “what am I meant to do with these?”

… “Just walk down the hall, light the end. Place it on the ground & calmly walk away.”

My mum likes to sing.
she will break into song at any given moment. Even picking up on “hooks” in tunes not her era?

I’ve also got footage of this 91 year old throwing shapes on the dance floor to classic disco.

We have a great laugh. But there can also be times when I need explain in confusion where her parents are…
Also the odd hallucination..? (Seeing people sat in chairs that are not there. Easier one to explain. Lift the soft furnishings.)

Fantastic

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My mum likes to sing.

Love this, sounds like your mum is still having the time of her life as best she can even with all her challenges

Reactions: Pipp and Spirit01

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love this, sounds like your mum is still having the time of her life as best she can even with all her challenges
I don’t believe she has a care in the world?

There is the odd anxiety associated with the condition, but it’s easily remedied…
The expression on her face looks almost like a “hypo?”

But this one needs emotional support & diversion to snap out of…
(Or a song about a snake that had a head like his “back end” who assumed he was a twin.”) :singing:

Vince01

@Spirit01 , I guess if you were a firefighter in 1985, you are over the age of retirement now? With T2.
So one of the ‘Boomer’ generation , like me. Our parents will have known the ’deprivation’ of war time rationing, and, so when we were kids, perhaps we were ‘indulged’ a little? I have clear early memories of being taken to the NHS baby clinic where my mother was encouraged to give us concentrated orange juice, and rose hip syrup, for the fortified vitamin C. It was also full of sugar, which she was reliably informed by the health visitor was important to give children energy! Likewise the glucose tablets to help us stay bright and alert. Didn’t do our teeth much good, but we certainly had the energy to run outside around the farm fields and woodlands, from dawn to dusk. School dinners were carb based. It was a cheap way to feed lots of kids. Fast forward to early adulthood, and busy working lives. Were we brainwashed that breakfast cereals fortified with vitamins and minerals and ‘roughage’, as fibre was then known, were the best start to the day. Also busy working lives, and convenience foods were there to help us get through life. Vesta dried meals, anybody? o_O. Low fat advice later, especially if we were carrying a bit to much weight. The mantra ’You are what you eat’, ‘fat makes you fat’:eek:. Who is to blame? I don’t think in those early days anyone was. The culture at the time, maybe. Those early health care workers, our parents, were only acting on the knowledge they had.

Following diagnosis, yes, the advice for me as an obese T2, was not helpful at all. Starchy carbs with every meal, then when that made things worse the only solution offered bariatric surgery. No blame apportioned to the HCPs making those decisions for me. They don’t have the time or the inclination, in the main ,to research other ways. Had I not done my own research, and found my own, individual pathto management, then I would only have myself to blame.
Not easy, though, and we all need a bit of help and guidance from time to time from others who are on a similar path.

edit of typo
Ahh Vesta, best thing to come out of a cardboard box!.

Solaire

Type of diabetes
Carer
Wow that is brilliant and I mostly agree ... me and husband are in our late 70s , he is the diabetic, runs in his family ...he says at his age he will have a treat if he wants ..... life is too short to only eat one chocolate ........

Reactions: Spirit01

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Wow that is brilliant and I mostly agree ... me and husband are in our late 70s , he is the diabetic, runs in his family ...he says at his age he will have a treat if he wants ..... life is too short to only eat one chocolate ........
Fantastic and that is my view and I’ve been talking to someone this morning who has exactly the same view. I’m so sorry if I’ve upset anyone who may think I have a “don’t care” attitude, far from it. In the beginning I had the horrors roared down my throat but I’ve always kicked the trend. I have a terminal status & that’s called life and I repeat, from the moment of conception we’re all dying. Of course we want to be on this side of life for as long as possible but I love little treats. Today for my lunch on my allotment I had a cheese sandwich made with 2 slices of thick bread, plenty of Kerrygold, cheese, which was dipped into a steaming cup of Heinz tomato soup. It’s once a week at the most & it’s mine & my friends little treat. I say have your chocolate and you are doing it perfectly, well done

Reactions: Solaire

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
It’s how I deal with it mentally. I care about how others feel of course but having once nearly lost my life I tend to put it into perspective
Edited by mods to remove quote that has been deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Moderators have deleted the content of this post to comply with forum ethos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Well I’m sorry you seem to have taken my comments so badly. They are MY thoughts I’m not promoting anything. As for running into fires that’s how I nearly lost my life, as a Firefighter. I guess how I feel & deal with MY health issue isn’t really welcome on here so the best thing I can do is leave this site because I can’t and won’t change how I feel but before I go I will apologise to anyone who I’ve offended and to anyone that struggles with control. If anyone is comfortable with they have a chronic disease and are likely to die early & have bits cut off if they eat and drink the wrong stuff then you go for it but that’s not for me. To use what you stated to me, yes I did run into fires and yes like all the other brave firefighters I could have lost my life but I didn’t think “right, it’s hot and I might get hurt so best I don’t do it” my way was “I have a yellow hat on and it’s what I do” and that’s where I’ll leave that analogy. As for me personally and friends like me who think exactly the same as I do I’ll bid this forum goodbye. If you want to reply telling others how irresponsible and inconsiderate I am that’s fine but I’m off and won’t see it because I cannot bear to watch people being put under dreadful mental stress because of doom & gloom merchants. We all know about diabetes but I’m trying to bring hope and a smile rather than fear and misery.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m sorry you seem to have taken my comments so badly. They are MY thoughts I’m not promoting anything. As for running into fires that’s how I nearly lost my life, as a Firefighter. I guess how I feel & deal with MY health issue isn’t really welcome on here so the best thing I can do is leave this site because I can’t and won’t change how I feel but before I go I will apologise to anyone who I’ve offended and to anyone that struggles with control. If anyone is comfortable with they have a chronic disease and are likely to die early & have bits cut off if they eat and drink the wrong stuff then you go for it but that’s not for me. To use what you stated to me, yes I did run into fires and yes like all the other brave firefighters I could have lost my life but I didn’t think “right, it’s hot and I might get hurt so best I don’t do it” my way was “I have a yellow hat on and it’s what I do” and that’s where I’ll leave that analogy. As for me personally and friends like me who think exactly the same as I do I’ll bid this forum goodbye. If you want to reply telling others how irresponsible and inconsiderate I am that’s fine but I’m off and won’t see it because I cannot bear to watch people being put under dreadful mental stress because of doom & gloom merchants. We all know about diabetes but I’m trying to bring hope and a smile rather than fear and misery.
@Spirit01, everyone is welcome here please don’t feel you have to leave. Everyone deals with their diabetes differently and there is room for everyone here. Hope you reconsider and do stick around

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
@Spirit01, everyone is welcome here please don’t feel you have to leave. Everyone deals with their diabetes differently and there is room for everyone here. Hope you reconsider and do stick around
Sorry & thank you for your very kind words and to everyone else who has understood what I’m trying to do, bless you ❤️

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Wow. Don’t ever feel you should disenfranchise yourself. It’s a great topic.

Hang around. It’s the “internet” sometimes for me it’s been like running into a clenched fist… :)

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry & thank you for your very kind words and to everyone else who has understood what I’m trying to do, bless you ❤️
I have been reading and enjoying this thread. Being a newbie at all of this, everyone' s input helps me sort things out in my mind and forge my own path forward.

Please keep putting in your thoughts, you don't whom you may help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been reading and enjoying this thread. Being a newbie at all of this, everyone' s input helps me sort things out in my mind and forge my own path forward.

Please keep putting in your thoughts, you don't whom you may help.
Great to have you on board.

This is a supportive forum.

We don’t leave anyone “behind” who reaches out..