Who is Carefix ?

Thirsty

A few months ago, I bumped into an old friend I'd not seen for ten years or so. To be more accurate, he bumped into me in his powered wheelchair after having his leg amputated. The cause? Complications of undiagnosed Type2.

Seriously, folks, you don't want this to happen to you, (or have a stroke, renal failure etc.)

There's a good reason why our doctors and nurses spend years gaining their qualifications; they need to be competent when persuing a difficult and distressing career. When Carefix states that <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> From my initial posts
you will realise that the doctors are unlikely to help you with your condition.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">, he's wrong.

I'd urge all of you to stay in contact with your physician and diabetes team and pay scant regard to all the bs on the internet; it's easy to find a web page to support any position you care to take.

sugar

Hi, just my 2p's worth! I think the idea of a scientidic trial is a fantastic one..that is what sorts oit the wheat from the chaff when it comes to these things.
Thirsty, I take your point, but I don't think Carefix is suggesting that you stop testing your bloodsugar whilst trying the Cure...so if it clearly isn't working for you...STOP! That would be what the scientific data is telling you.
I agree that sometimes the rather agressive comment can come across a bit OTT sometims...and did put me of reading the cure for a while.
Personally, I value this site because it is full of real world advice. Some of it is useful, some less so, but all of it well meant, and ew must take responsibilty for ourselves as to what we chose to do with our lives.

Blimey..that was serious for me! I grew up in York...so obviously this makes everything I say 100% correct:D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Sugar, couldn't agree more.

PS will forgive you for coming from York ;)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My second biggest moan is this site is not set up to trial the diet effectively and organise results properly. For this reason I may be moving on

... John, what would you suggest?

Regards,

Admin

2008 is great

Thirsty

Admin, I doubt that it would be possible to set up a well controlled study here. You'd need to know exactly who everyone is and have some means of checking the accuracy of any results posted.

Anyone fancy posting their medical records on a publicly accessible website? Or sending them to someone you don't know and have no reason to trust?

Might as well send them straight to the government, so they can lose them instead!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my concerns exactly Thirsty. We want to use this community space to its maximum function but I can't see how we could do this safely and realistically? Any suggestions are welcome.

2008 is great

Even if we could overcome the confidentiality and accuracy issues, it takes a large number of test subjects to produce a meaningful study. I don't think there are anything like enough regular posters here to produce statistics worth ana1ysing. Even if there were, do we have an unbiased statistician available who'd do the job for nothing?

There's no point asking Carefix to do it; he's clearly not impartial.

Unworkable.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Thirsty,

I'm afraid I have to agree that a forum such as this can never be the right place to conduct any form of controlled trial. By its very nature, the necessary control would be impossible.

At best we can only ask people to try out ideas and report back on their findings. We just have to trust the integrity of the volunteers and that the results they report, good or bad, are genuine.

In some instances, such as Carefix's high-dosage efa treatment, there is already an enormous amount of well established research, which is why just about every health authority in the world recommends the benefits of omega-3, omega-6 and to a lesser extent omega-9 oil supplements. The oils that Carefix recommends taking just happen to have the highest concentrations of omega-3 and 6, which is presumably why he chose to recommend those particular ones.

Lady J

Thirsty I'm with you all the way, especially in relation to your comments about NOT ignoring doctors and nurses (although of course, you are free to take reasoned and well-informed decisions about their advice).

Recognsing that the internet is filled with unsubstantiated drivel is extremely important.

To say that carefix is not impartial I think is the understatement of the century. I find his attitude scary and I am puzzled that he is repeatedly allowed - and even encouraged - to keep posting it on this forum.

As I think Thirsty has tried to say in a reasoned and well thought out way, is that watching your diet and adapting it as suits YOUR needs and condition (and if necessary taking a tablet) is how individuals manage their condition.

It is ENTIRELY misleading to keep banging on about a "cure". Those of you who manage on exercise and diet alone (even if some of that includes flaxseed oil or whatever) ARE NOT CURED. You are very successfully managing the condition - and well done for that!

But to call it anything other than good management is to delude yourselves.

LJ

ChocFish

Well people, I dont dare to claim that I have been cured, and diet and exercise do play a very, very important role in the control of diabetes; but what I have done now for the past 7 years has certainly helped enormously with insulin resistance, in the beginning I kept tight control of carbs and diet in general with lots of exercise and losing weight, my bg on average was highest at 6.8, but oh hell if I lapsed from low carb to quite naughty treats I would soon pay the price and hit the teens and it would take me about 3 days till I was back down again.
Nowadays even sugary, high carb treats dont have an effect at all and last year I had a glucose tolerance test, the medics did not know my medical history beforehand and the result was 'you are not diabetic' the test was carried out at the University College Hospital in London.

The problem is that I do not know which of the supplements really did work, was it the oils, the cinnamon, the MSM, the cayenne, the benfotiamine or the ALA or the garlic I am a coward I dare not stop taking any of these just in case all goes wrong for me again. I feel really good and healthy with people constantly paying compliments on how good my skin is and never believing my age, but I am not confident
enough to say that I am cured, I still expect the bubble to burst every single day -
I never take any of the oils or my other supplements to excess, in the beginning I took 3 tbsp of flaxseed and 1tbsp hempseed oil and occasionally a 10ml spoon of pumpkin seed oil - twice a day, but now it is no transfats at all and 3 10ml flaxseed oil and 1 10ml spoon of hempseed.

My friend Aly reports excellent success as does a diabetic colleague, however I also know of plenty other diabetices that have not responded to 'my reccipe' or maybe just a slight improvement - so I most definitely cannot claim that what I am doing is a cure.

You just dont know till you tried I guess.

All the best everyone

Karen x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
LJ,Karen's post typifies why Carefixs posts are still here!None of us would ever say we are 'cured' but the recipe of oils etc has worked for some(and not for others)As long as there is hope to control and live a 'normalish' life with T2D then people will experiment with different things to find a recipe which helps them.I think we are all agreed on the low carbs but who knows what else will help?Rest assured that knowledgeable people will soon see off the more exotic claims!

Knowledge is the key to control

Tormod

OMG - this thread has driven me up the wall

I think Flybywire asked a good question in the first instance about John, his credentials, claims for "the cure", etc, etc. Frankly I was saddenned by the original responses to FBW.

Now it turns we are looking for a controlled trial to support "the cure". Well blow me!! - isn't that exactly what the drug pushing, greedy, cut-throat pharma industry does - double blind, double dummy, statistically ana1ysed to prove anything, does? Something that the alternative medical establishment don't do - but could afford to do if they stopped pocketing all their profits - bit of a risk doing all this scientific stuff the right way - never know - half what you are told might be toooo anecdotal.

I give in!

As for a cure - Karen - I am really pleased that your own treatment plan is working well for you, and you have got good evidence that you BG control is good. My only problem - and it is a question I ask of you - diagnosis of T2 in UK seems to be 2 consecutive FBGs of greater than 7, rather than a specific measure of your body's control of BG, e.g I would support a glucose tolerance test as diagnosis of T2. Were you diagnosed through 2 consecutive high FBGs or glucose tolerance?

Finally in this long ramble. I think what John presented as the cure is good advice. He was wrong to call it the cure. He was absolutely right - and I thank you John :) - for raising the issue of trans fats and it's impact on our general health and diabetes. So I believe that consumption of these cis-oils is a good thing. As for the conspiracy theories, I am less convinced.

I wish everyone well, and let's keep sharing our experiences to encourage each other stay in control.

Tormod

and I meant to say in anecdote - how many aromatherapists do you see at a major accident - rubbing lavender oil onto people to sooth the pain of a severed leg / arm, etc, etc. I'll stick to the morphine anyday if I ever have to go through that trauma

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I think,Tormod,if you read Karen's earlier posts you will find that she was seriously out of BS control for a good while which definitely indicates she is T2D!

Knowledge is the key to control

ChocFish

Hi Tormod I was diagnosed shortly after my firswt husband suddenly died, fbg was 12.9 and 13.3 - I was in hospital at the time because I kept fainting and I was most certainly fasting frrom 9pm until the tests were carried out.

what puzzles me most is that I can eat cream cake or trifle or doughnuts and my bg is unaffected, although I very rarely indulge, whereas a few years ago I would have been well into double figures.

As for complementary medicine it does have a place, if you feel it works for you then it probably does even if there is no scientific reason behind it, often its mind over matter, but if I am in a serious crisis give me morphine and quickly too do you hear :) Been there, done that when I had cancer, I found both orthodox and complimentary medicine and practices helped me through.

All the best to you all, and if I dont go to bed right now I shall wake tomorrow with eyebags the size of suitcasesk perish the thought.

from a very vain Karen x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Thirsty

Sounds like you've had a tough time, Karen. Here's hoping that you stay well.

I'll readily admit that the complementary medicine business is something of a pet peeve. Much of it is unregulated or poorly regulated, and isn't required to reach anything like the same standards as conventional therapies. Some complementary therapies, such as chiropractic, have been shown to be downright dangerous as well as being mostly ineffective.

I could drone on about this for pages, having spent a good deal of time looking into the realities of the alternative medicine game, but I won't bore you too much. It's enough to say that when a member of the royal family, which espouses homeopathy, becomes seriously ill, they aren't treated by homeopaths.

Thirsty

Oh, and Dennis, there's some evidence to show that TFAs may increase the risk of developing type2. There's <i>none</i> which shows that swallowing omega oils will cure it. (Although, as Tormod says, there's little doubt that they're good for you. My doctor and diabetes nurse agree.)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Thirsty,

Please don't get me confused with Carefix. I have said many times that trans fatty acids are known to be one of many causes of Type 2 diabetes (by creating cell resistance). <b>I have NEVER said that what Carefix proposes is a cure.</b> Our body's cells are contantly regenerating. Cells die and are replaced with new ones, and fatty acids are an essential part of the cell-building process. For a diabetic, replacing transfats in the diet with cis fats allows the generation of normal cells instead of resistant ones. This might alleviate one of the causes of diabetes, but in no way is it a cure.

The other great benefit of omega oils is that they reduce LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, and increase HDL cholesterol, thus reducing the risk of heart disease. As diabetics in any case run a much higher risk of heart disease than non-diabetics then wouldn't you agree that replacing trans fats with cis oils has to be beneficial?

Dennis, why wouldn't it be just as beneficial to simply stop consuming trans fats? You've said before that it's possible to "flush them out" by swallowing cis oils. I don't believe you.