Who is to blame?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
there is a very interesting science called epigenetics which studies how the environment can cause genes to be activated or not. There could be something of the sort at work at the moment, activating genes which lead to T 2, or switching off protective factors.
The Fat Switch by Richard Johnson suggests that some of us handle fructose badly as in our bodies behave as if we are squirrels needing to fatten up for the Winter which in our modern food environment never comes. Bad example since squirrels are classic Ketonians with all those nuts!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose some of them must have had t1 as well, but they should have died quickly of DKA so why do we have t1 today :( I guess the t2s lived much longer and so were capable of passing on the genes
Because they died after generously passing on their genes! Back then I'm guessing they had babies very, very young.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
people every day stuffing themselves with more food than I'd ever consider normal.
I think your sentence is wrong, abnormal food needs inserting!

I suppose some of them must have had t1 as well, but they should have died quickly of DKA so why do we have t1 today
Pre discovery of insulin the only 'treatment' for T1 was to have a very low carb diet, yes the patient died (as we all do!) but not necessarily that quickly - how many carbs did the average neanderthal consume......

Our bodies are geared to feast or famine - except feast is an everyday occurrence now. And the feast is just getting bigger and more processed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Because they died after generously passing on their genes! Back then I'm guessing they had babies very, very young.

The programme suggested that Neanderthal childhood was very short and that puberty started earlier. Like I said above, the programme made heaps of suppositions based really on hypothesis rather than fact.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The programme suggested that Neanderthal childhood was very short and that puberty started earlier. Like I said above, the programme made heaps of suppositions based really on hypothesis rather than fact.
Yes I saw it, it was very interesting but I agree, you couldn't take any info from it as gospel.

Reactions: Guzzler

lindisfel

Expert
I don't think they ran around in the snow in the 'nuddy' as they portrayed!
Even brass monkeys wouldn't risk their tackle in ice age temperatures in that way!
Mind you that is perhaps how they died out!:).
Derek

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
As hunters and gatherers apparently we ate what we could when we found it and gorged on the honey and the fruit only infrequently, building up fat for the lean times.
Now we can get it at Ben & Jerry’s 24/7 so maybe we’ve changed our civilisation too fast for our endocrine systems?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just a thought and apropos of nothing in particular but what if Eve had been a feminist and Adam Gay would we be here arguing over ancestral proclivities.