Whole foods versus low carb

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello

I am trying to choose a different life style. I did already eat healthy but it not good enough

So I do find one group That is pro low carb and says carbs are the problem. Low carb like 20 carbs a day to prevent diabetis.

And there one other group That is whole foods / vegan That eats no meat and not much diary. So thats is the opponent opposit of low carb.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE? That one group says No carbs and the other group does eat carbs. They eat legumes patatoes fruit some do eat diary but no processed food and no meat meat is the problem here.

Can somebody explain help me? Both group have great results with their sugar problems. But how can one group eat a lot of Meat and the other call meat thw problem and both have better results.

What is resolving the ir diabetis??

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat very low carb (20) AND I eat Whole Foods. My carbs come from avocado, nuts, pumpkin seeds and some above ground veggies. I eat red meat, poultry, eggs, and a wide variety of fish but in small portions.

I could never have good bg being vegetarian/vegan. I don’t tolerate carbs at all

So I guess I do both!

You say you’re not diabetic. Is there a reason you fear it? Like family history?

Reactions: deborabaratto

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how the high carbs vegans do it...But I find that fatty meat is the solution for me...crispy roast pork belly 3-5 meals a week.

See the glucose spike after 11:53am? I didn't either...

19030730_10155495594244445_403684939994575683_n.jpg

My understanding of T2D progression and how fatty meat solve the problem...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/newbie-guide-to-t2d.1858/

Reactions: AloeSvea and TIANDB

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're not diabetic. In my opinion, unless you have a reason to believe you are at risk of developing the disease, all you need to do is eat a balanced diet in terms of the major food groups -- and keep the portions reasonable.

About the only cautionary note I would sound is that, if you do decide to reduce the amount of fat in your diet (which has been the conventional medical advice for many decades now) do make sure that you don't compensate by over-eating carbohydrates. The body needs energy, so if you reduce the fat, the missing energy has to come from somewhere.

I think that is what happened to me (over-compensation by adding carbs), and it may partially explain why I developed diabetes. See my signature below for details.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helensaramay

Are you using a phone or the forum App?
The signatures are not visible on those (although I think that different platforms vary somewhat, so I am sure there are exceptions).

D

Deleted Account

@helensaramay

The signatures are not visible on those (although I think that different platforms vary somewhat, so I am sure there are exceptions).
I am on a laptop accessing the forum web page. Usually I see the signatures loud and clear. @Grateful 's signature is conspicuous by it's absence.
My laptop, Chrome instance, the forum or just me are obviously have a weird day.

Reactions: Brunneria

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I eat very low carb (20) AND I eat Whole Foods. My carbs come from avocado, nuts, pumpkin seeds and some above ground veggies. I eat red meat, poultry, eggs, and a wide variety of fish but in small portions.

I could never have good bg being vegetarian/vegan. I don’t tolerate carbs at all

So I guess I do both!

You say you’re not diabetic. Is there a reason you fear it? Like family history?

Yes family history and I am insulin resistance. High fasting insulin good fasting glucose.

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless someone has already have Type2 or can't contorl their weight, to greatly reduce risk of Type2, just
  • Avoid all added sugar
  • Limit food containing flour (as it is a very refined carb, bread is a common issue)
  • Avoid or limit fruit juice – as very high in sugar and no fiber
  • Limit tropical fruit – as high in sugar
  • Eat lot more above ground veg, then below ground veg
  • Eat a lot more green veg then rice/grains
  • Limit processed food
This will result in under half of the carbs that most people eat, and can be done as a vegan if you so wish. (But vegan is very high risk for children.) There is no need to get anywere close to 10g of carbs unless someone and real problems controling their BG.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes family history and I am insulin resistance. High fasting insulin good fasting glucose.

Then lower carbs would probably help you out! Certainly wouldn’t hurt and the amount of carbs you choose is up to you. Leaving off the starchy veggies, grains and sugary fruits is a good place to start. To replace those foods add some avocado, nuts, cheese. Base meals around some protein ( not slabs), healthy fats and above ground veggies. All that IF YOU want to approach a lc lifestyle. AND it’s an extremely healthy diet and will LIKELY cause weight loss if that’s a goal. It will certainly help with your insulin resistance and high fasting insulin. Potato’s and legumes will most likely spike your insulin as they are very insulinogenic.

For ME carbs have always been the problem, LONG before diagnoses. I’ve only started insulin 3.5 years ago and I’m 53. I’ve eaten a keto diet for over 25 years. Whenever I veered off it I felt horrible. I also truly believe I slowed the progression to LADA eating and exercising the way I did. I think LADA reared it’s ugly head after a virus.

Good luck with whichever diet you decide on!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helensaramay

I've never seen any signatures using Firefox (my usual browser) since the forum style/colours changed a while back. IE and Opera show them correctly.:banghead:

Robbity

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never seen any signatures using Firefox (my usual browser) since the forum style/colours changed a while back. IE and Opera show them correctly.:banghead:

Robbity
How odd - I use Firefox all the time and I see signatures fine!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Flair - different ways of eating affect and are good for different people because there is variation amongst folks - their body types/genes/cultures/sub-cultures etc.

Whenever I talk to people about going low-carb, I always talk to them about really tuning in to how you feel eating a certain way - for example - do you find that eating a lot of protein makes you feel better? (I say this to family members, because I know that I do very well eating a fair amount of meat, fish and poultry for instance.) And I was very interested to read recently that some people have an extra allele (I have no idea what that is though :)) for digesting vegetables, in ethnic groups that have been vegetarian for countless generations, so I would imagine that would contribute hugely to them being very comfortable and healthy eating a vegetarian diet.

Many of my friends and family choose to eat vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons - so the only thing there is to make sure they don't get low on vitamin B-12.

There is a big range of how well different people digest dairy, and grains and wheat - those two are the two biggies when it comes to food intolerances (and the positive side of course - food tolerance!) Most people, by the time they are adult, know if they do well with dairy - due to 'toileting issues' that arise if they are not! And similar with grains and wheat products - due to digestion and skin problems mainly. (But there is also arthritis and even asthma to consider.) This has a lot to do with what kind of foods your ethnic group has been eating for generations also, but not always.

What you eat is such a personal thing - as is anything you put into or do with your body.

Great that you are thinking in terms of diabetes prevention. Has something scared you recently? Are you in the higher end of normal with your blood glucose reading? Have you a close family member who has type two?

With my own friends and family - I say you don't need to go very low carb (which the 20g of carbs a day you quoted certainly is) - unless you have diabetes, or another condition that responds well to very low carbing. I would certainly never recommend such big food restrictions for healthy people, because what a bore for them! As lovely as I find LCHF food.

I would say for prevention - keep an eye on your waist line (if you are really keen by tracking your height to waist ratio), and of course your HBA1c readings in your annual blood test.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I
@Flair - different ways of eating affect and are good for different people because there is variation amongst folks - their body types/genes/cultures/sub-cultures etc.

Whenever I talk to people about going low-carb, I always talk to them about really tuning in to how you feel eating a certain way - for example - do you find that eating a lot of protein makes you feel better? (I say this to family members, because I know that I do very well eating a fair amount of meat, fish and poultry for instance.) And I was very interested to read recently that some people have an extra allele (I have no idea what that is though :)) for digesting vegetables, in ethnic groups that have been vegetarian for countless generations, so I would imagine that would contribute hugely to them being very comfortable and healthy eating a vegetarian diet.

Many of my friends and family choose to eat vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons - so the only thing there is to make sure they don't get low on vitamin B-12.

There is a big range of how well different people digest dairy, and grains and wheat - those two are the two biggies when it comes to food intolerances (and the positive side of course - food tolerance!) Most people, by the time they are adult, know if they do well with dairy - due to 'toileting issues' that arise if they are not! And similar with grains and wheat products - due to digestion and skin problems mainly. (But there is also arthritis and even asthma to consider.) This has a lot to do with what kind of foods your ethnic group has been eating for generations also, but not always.

What you eat is such a personal thing - as is anything you put into or do with your body.

Great that you are thinking in terms of diabetes prevention. Has something scared you recently? Are you in the higher end of normal with your blood glucose reading? Have you a close family member who has type two?

With my own friends and family - I say you don't need to go very low carb (which the 20g of carbs a day you quoted certainly is) - unless you have diabetes, or another condition that responds well to very low carbing. I would certainly never recommend such big food restrictions for healthy people, because what a bore for them! As lovely as I find LCHF food.

I would say for prevention - keep an eye on your waist line (if you are really keen by tracking your height to waist ratio), and of course your HBA1c readings in your annual blood test.

Yes my father did have diabetis type 2. I have high fasting insulin and good blood glucose normal hbac.

So I am insulin resistance and I am overweight can loose this weight. I did very low carbs and did not loose weight.
I did eat more time a day.
So I am trying to Find a way to loose weight and not become diabetis.

No I do intermitting fasting and eat 2 times a day all proteine carbs and fats all healthy.
I am losing now a little weight. So I am trying to understand how this works. Sometimes I do get reading between 8 and 9 after eating and I did read it s to high. So thats how I am trying to lower my sugar.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are healthy carbs and healthy carbs. If you are insulin resistant, the best way to become more sensative is to reduce carbs and some exercise. What kind of carbs so you eat ?
Sweet potato is a healthy carb but not for most type 2 insulin resistant diabetics.

MCG1986

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I am newly diagnosed too and was devastated. Have started Keto and exercising every day straight away and am on 20-30g of carbs a day max. This has sorted my sugar levels out straight. Also have a limit of calories and fats to watch out for the cholesterol. It takes getting used to the diet and for about 2 weeks I felt really rough. Now I am fine. As with everything: I would check with a dietician or your GP in order to see if this diet would be fine for you. Heard that LCHF is helpful for a lot of people.