Type 2 Why am I doing okay?

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

This may seem like a bit of a weird question, but maybe someone has experience of this...
I want to know why I appear to be doing okay with my diabetes, despite continuing to eat what I want, when I want. I probably eat more 'wrong foods' now than I ever did before diabetes.

For instance, I would rarely eat a toffee crisp, and never a snickers before the diabetes... now I have them sometimes. Previously they were my pick-ups for hypos, but I rarely have hypos now, so enjoy them as a treat.

I am 5 years diabetic (in July) since diagnosis and my hba1c usually comes back between 5 and 7, (usually 6.4) which I'm told is very good, and when I prick test, my tests usually are fine (between 5 and 8)
I eat a lot of carbs, including potatoes, pastry, pie, chocolate, doughnuts. I probably have a 'treat' daily I would say- crisps, chocolate.
Sometimes I eat fruit. I often eat veg. I make a lot of my own meals- fish pie, lasagne, ginger and tomato soup...

I have days where I just eat protein, but I dont think I've done a single one since the start of this year!

I'm Vegetarian (fish eater). I'm 30 this year. I'm 4 foot 11 and weight 9.7 stone. I have lost a stone since being diagnosed. I exercise (dog walk) for 20 mins+ a day. My cholesterol is fine. My kidneys could apparently do with me drinking more.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if I am somehow setting myself up for disaster, believing I am okay and really I am going to seriously ruin my health, or are the doctors missing something with my tests? Why are my results good when I could be considered a bit naughty?

Reactions: SueBlitz

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you are just lucky. Your usual HbA1c of 6.5% is still in the pre-diabetic level, so you are still at risk of ending up back where you started. Please be careful.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Bluetit1802 - you seem to be ok - your HbA1c is ok but for me personally I would be looking to lower that a little bit but that's a personal goal and if a food/meal gave me an eight I would be avoiding it - if you can get away with eating those foods at the moment and your happy with your results enjoy :) - just be mindful it might not always be this way and things have a habit of sneaking up on us

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I did originally have my Hba1c a lot lower, 5.5% I think it was, but the nurses advised that I was allowed to eat more sugar and would still be fine, so I did!

Thanks for helping guys :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did originally have my Hba1c a lot lower, 5.5% I think it was, but the nurses advised that I was allowed to eat more sugar and would still be fine, so I did!

Those nurses need re-training. Be very careful, it is a very slippery slope.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Also, take into account your age. As one gets older the body finds it harder and harder to compensate for our 'wrong doings'. Keep an eye on things and keep testing. Complacency can turn out to be an enemy.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Before starting on insulin, my hba1c was 5.9 and I kept it around that for a number of years before my pancreas decided it was no longer capable of working.

If I were around 5.5 and not taking insulin or any drugs to lower glucose levels then I would not be happy with a rise to 6.5 personally, but that's just me and the elevation is obviously due to very poor diet advice from your nurse. I'd be working on lowering it myself, but we are all a bit different in what targets we are aiming for as well as other factors in our health.

Reactions: Rosiediabetes

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't remember if i said, i take half a glicizide tablet and a metformin with breakfast and with dinner.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't remember if i said, i take half a glicizide tablet and a metformin with breakfast and with dinner.
is it the slow release glicizide? you need to eat carbs with both types of glicizade, so it could be that the glicizade is the correct dose for you to keep your diabetes stable while eating carbs.

I dont think lowering your carbs, while on this medication, is a good thing without the input from your diabetic team? are you happy to stay on the meds?

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
is it the slow release glicizide? you need to eat carbs with both types of glicizade, so it could be that the glicizade is the correct dose for you to keep your diabetes stable while eating carbs.

I dont think lowering your carbs, while on this medication, is a good thing without the input from your diabetic team? are you happy to stay on the meds?

Not as far as I know. The metformin is slow release though.

You may be right- can hypo badly taking glicizide and glipizide when doing protein dieting. Im happy enough I suppose!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not as far as I know. The metformin is slow release though.

You may be right- can hypo badly taking glicizide and glipizide when doing protein dieting. Im happy enough I suppose!

If you are having bad hypos when following your chosen eating plan, you need to speak to your medical team/nurse about reducing your medication. Hypos are dangerous, to you and possibly to others. There is no point in putting your health at risk, nor in being over-medicated, and Gliclazide can, over time, knacker your pancreas as it forces it to work much harder than it wants to.
However, if you intend to continue eating all those carbs, then you probably need it, but all you are doing is eating to your medication. Still, if you are happy to do this, that's fine.

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely hypo now actually (You are correct, I was originally having to eat to my medication), but that has since changed and I am now eating the levels of food I wish to. :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am diet controlled and seem to be able to tolerate more carbs than many on the forum and my hba1c has been at non diabetic levels ( between 35 and 38) for 4 years. I do eat bread, albeit low carb or high protein, potatoes, fruit - mostly berries, occasionally rice and sometimes 70% chocolate and the odd cake or biscuit. However these are ‘interspersed’ with low carb foods such as eggs, Greek yoghurt, meat inc 97% sausages, dairy products inc cheese and plenty of salad and veggies. I also know what will spike me inc Scampi which is definitely my nemesis as I love it but tend to steer clear of it.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm happy to hear any member enjoying their life and not stressed by incapable (for some) diet restrictions.
I have been there!

However.
Like some members have said there is a risk of Gliclizide eventually not working, maybe due to pancreas exhaustion.

I think it's healthy to balance stressfree diabetes management with future health.

Now you know @Rosiediabetes the choice is yours. Your team will be happy with your results.
What's more important is, are you?

There's no pressure from us but keep it in mind that you do have scope, when your ready to challenge your meds. If you want to challenge them.
Metformin is a fantastic med. I cannot highly recommend it. I'd reluctantly give metformin up... permanently.

Reactions: Crocodile