why are diabetics more at risk from the coronavirus ?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It's scaring me now , and on top of my anxiety and panic this has not done me much good. It's caused me a lot of anxiety I was awake most of the night fearful of getting this virus .

If we have our diabetes under control then how are we more at risk ? I don't understand the risk factor .

Reactions: kentgirl

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We aren't more at risk of getting the virus as far as I know, we are at more risk of getting seriously ill with any virus because being ill messes up our blood sugars.

Reactions: WackyJacky64
D

Deleted member 308541

I got blood tests done at the pathology shop at the private hospital this morning. I wore a a P2 face mask there, as did several other people waiting their turn to get blood tests. All the staff were wearing them as well.

I am more concerned about Coranavirus as I have a COPD than being a T2 diabetic.

pkevkZU.jpg

Edit: Added P2 mask pix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WackyJacky64

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We aren't more at risk of getting the virus as far as I know, we are at more risk of getting seriously ill with any virus because being ill messes up our blood sugars.
This makes sense to me- thanks. For me as a type 2 it makes it more important t to keep my sugars as low as possible so that my base rate is low so hopefully any illness won't cause too man y problems. I hadn't really considered this before so thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
For anyone on insulin then illness severely increases the amount of insulin required, so you combine feeling awful with the need to do many more blood tests and also avoid diabetic ketoacidosis (if T1).

Personally I always get a flu jab because I know I could be hospitalised by the flu.

Coronavirus - concentrate on really good hygiene (ie handwashing) and wait for a vaccine.

Remember that the stats for diabetics are distorted because many diabetics have comorbidities and there's no way to tell whether a diabetic has good control.

Good luck everyone. Don't panic but be careful.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Having any lifelong medical could increase getting ill, but it doesn't mean we will, as Ellie says, good hygiene is a must, so be vigilant, but don't panic.
I have never had any type of flu.

Reactions: kentgirl and EllieM

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks all, I was okay until the media started causing me to panic , I only just got rid of a cough from when i had bronchitis which started last December , and that just made me scared in case i am weak from it .

I have been getting morning readings anywhere from 5.8-6.2 . Sometimes it is 6.8 but that only happens if i am really tired and my osteoarthritis has flared up. I got the blood test back and i do not have rheumatoid arthritis which is great news, but it is osteoarthritis and the flare was in my fingers and knees for weeks , so it makes me really tired.