Why are my blood sugar levels rising overnight?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Before increasing your basal it could be worth doing blood tests at midnight - 1am. You could be sleeping through a hypo and your liver is releasing glucose to correct it, pushing you high when you wake up
There's also a fair amount of evidence to show that longer term diabetics generally lose the "hypo protection" functionality of the glucagon release from the alpha cells due to loss of signalling between beta and alpha cells, so in long term diabetics, the "Somogyi" effect is highly unlikely to be seen. It's also been fairly well proven that in most cases, what was thought to be Somogyi is in fact basal running out combined with Dawn Phenomenon.

DGTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear Hazel, I have been Type1 for 68 years and for the last 20 years have been fighting the same symptoms as you, the last 7 years with the aid of a pump. I found that more insulin can increase BG as well as lower it. I also found that more carbs can lower BG as well as increase it. Strange or what?

My DSN and consultant couldn't accept this and kept pushing more insulin at me ad said if I didn't take more they would take my pump away. I persisted in objecting and I was referred to Oxford University for more tests which proved my theory correct and the consultant then gave me the bum's rush and said he didn't want to see me again. So much for the caring NHS!

I have persisted in my research knowing that I am right and have lowered my insulin requirement by over 50% to 1 unit per 24 grams instead of 10. Stupid or what? How did I do it? - I asked a lot of questions of myself.

Ask yourself this "if my BG is high and I have a bolus why does the BG not come down?" There can only be one answer - "my body is protecting itself from more insulin by releasing hormones". This is how the body in non-diabetics controls the level to normal 5.6.

Why is this significant? Why does Body react against insulin and produce more hormones which more insulin cannot control?

Its taken a lot of determination to work on my theory but it has worked for me and I'm confident it can work for you.

This is my third attempt to get someone, anyone interested in my theory and if no-one is interested this time I shall give up. If someone out there is interested in taking it further then please contact me.

Email removed for safety of poster.

Best of luck

Edited by a mod to remove advice that could be dangerous

Last edited by a moderator:

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear Hazel, I have been Type1 for 68 years and for the last 20 years have been fighting the same symptoms as you, the last 7 years with the aid of a pump. I found that more insulin can increase BG as well as lower it. I also found that more carbs can lower BG as well as increase it. Strange or what?

My DSN and consultant couldn't accept this and kept pushing more insulin at me ad said if I didn't take more they would take my pump away. I persisted in objecting and I was referred to Oxford University for more tests which proved my theory correct and the consultant then gave me the bum's rush and said he didn't want to see me again. So much for the caring NHS!

I have persisted in my research knowing that I am right and have lowered my insulin requirement by over 50% to 1 unit per 24 grams instead of 10. Stupid or what? How did I do it? - I asked a lot of questions of myself.

Ask yourself this "if my BG is high and I have a bolus why does the BG not come down?" There can only be one answer - "my body is protecting itself from more insulin by releasing hormones". This is how the body in non-diabetics controls the level to normal 5.6.

Why is this significant? Why does Body react against insulin and produce more hormones which more insulin cannot control?

Its taken a lot of determination to work on my theory but it has worked for me and I'm confident it can work for you.

This is my third attempt to get someone, anyone interested in my theory and if no-one is interested this time I shall give up. If someone out there is interested in taking it further then please contact me.

Email removed for safety of poster.

Best of luck

I have heard about this from a number of people. I worked with a man with Type 2 but on insulin and his insulin doses were going up and up, without bringing his BG down, despite giving up virtually all carbs. It did cause him to put on a significant amount of weight. After a lot of fighting with the NHS, he eventually got onto a DAFNE course and the first thing the consultant did was half both his basal and bolus doses. It took three days to take effect, but as he had got to the point where his body could do nothing with the extra insulin, it didn't cause his levels to raise. By the end of the week his levels were near normal and his basal was reduced still further over the following weeks. The weight also started to drop off. He didn't think anyone would listen to him and had he not seen that consultant, his own doctor would have continued to raise his doses

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I guess, in the scenario where you are a person with Dual Diabetes, i.e., you already have T1, but then also have T2 due to insulin resistance, just taking more insulin isn't going to be a good way to deal with it as additional insulin will only lay down fat and the cycle will continue.

If great care is taken in that scenario (i.e. a lot of monitoring), reducing the amount of insulin would work.

In your context @DGTaylor, it suggests that something more than "normal T1" (whatever that is) diabetes is going on.

Reactions: 2 people

amirrad2007

I have the same exact problem here.For 20 years Ive controled my bg with ease.Though its been like 3 months i get constant highs all through the night.i am 29 years old and am currently on lantus+ novorapid.I had 25 units of lantus +a variable amount of novo rapid based on my food.Every thing was fine and I started to have morning highs.then I started to want to control the situation and everty things gone crazyyyyy.I resuced my lantus from 25 to 15(little by little)and no changes during the day though the problem persists at night.I went up to 30 and stull the same problem.I divided the shots in two parts day and night and still the same.Really donno what to do.I do not have a problem with my food intake glucose though the problem is with my night status.btw I eat a simple dinner at around 8 9 pm and go to sleep arpund 12 or 1 a.m.My before bed bg always reads 100 to 120 though in the morning goes up to 250.I get up at night 2 3 times check ot it goes up.Have to three units to bring it down but no specific effect.2 hrs later It still reads 250.It keeps going up till 9 10 in the morning and then everything is back to normal again during the day.reallly donno what to do. Help me out please.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello Amirrad 2007 - you have responded to an old thread - would you like me to move your post into it's own thread ?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="DGTaylor, post: 1031329, member: 22314
[/QUOTE] What hormones? And was there/ has there been any attempt to measure/quantitate those hormones rising as the result of increasing insulin use? I'm not sure hormones you mention are the reason non-diabetics' blood sugars are kept in normal range. I've always understood that they can regulate blood sugar by releasing insulin, which of course is a hormone that we don't make.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="DGTaylor, post: 1031329, member: 22314
What hormones? And was there/ has there been any attempt to measure/quantitate those hormones rising as the result of increasing insulin use? I'm not sure hormones you mention are the reason non-diabetics' blood sugars are kept in normal range. I've always understood that they can regulate blood sugar by releasing insulin, which of course is a hormone that we don't make. You might be referring to the stress hormone cortisol, which is pretty easy to measure in a blood sample. The other one is epinephrine, which is also easy to measure. [/QUOTE]

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you eating food that is slow to digest before you go to sleep? Are you very active when you are awake? Yes to either or both could contribute to an overnight high. I've been a pumper for ten years and find that physical activity affects my blood sugar more than it used to when I injected lente insulin.