Why are people eating specific and low carb diets?

Scardoc

It's also handy to be in the honeymoon period which you undoubtedly are.

Something like 7% of Type 1 diabetics achieve HbA1c's of less than 6.5% every year.

What you are really asking is "why aren't more people me?"

I don't think that's a very useful question for a thread.

Regards

Dillinger

Disagree, what a wonderful question and one that should be more widely explored by everyone. Why do so few T1 diabetics hit that target? If this is not the place to raise it where is?

But to the OP, I am incredulous at any T1 having a HbA1C of 4.4.Perhaps it comes with elite training but I fail to see how that is possible without hypos.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... We're not all "clones" in a sterile controlled environment, might be the simple answer to that conundrum. ;)

Scardoc

Yes, it's been mentioned that Type 1's exist that can eat a heavy carb load, bolus for it, and apparently have a good HbA1c and are generally none the worse for it. That is probably true of some, because of the diversity of the condition, some will be very fortunate in this regard, and I hope that for them, it continues :) They are, however, the minority, and for the rest of us it requires experimentation and constant change to maintain good, level, BG levels and avoid complications. So for many of us, it's an act of empowerment to experiment with lowering the carbs and thus the insulin requirements, usually because they have already tried the carb heavy route and found it doesn't work for them
Signy[/QUOTE]

No apparently and generally about it, in 8 years I have never been above 7.0 HbA1C and my diet has always been carb heavy. My point, however, is that it hasn't ever been easy and has involved a significant amount of time and effort and experimentation.

Reactions: 4 people

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
I would love to make more meaningful comments but the simple fact is, you have only be diagnosed a short time..........

so your not the best example for the rest of us to base our control on............due to the honeymoon period....

you understand that right?

If one doesn't exercise enough then yes, they would need to compensate with a lower carb diet.......

:)
I have had 2 c-peptide tests carried out....I'm not in the honeymoon period thank you.

Waspy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4.4% and regular competitive cycling sounds like a worrying mix to me. 1 bad hypo while you are on that bike and maybe it's game over.

But if you are happy with your control and hypo awareness (should be super high as you are only a year in) then fair play to you. Keep at it and well done!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I can't believe how cooperative your consultant was. Most T1s I have heard of are refused C peptide even if they ask for it, let alone the vast majority who never ask and are never asked. And you had two tests two months apart? Sounds like a very good consultant.

Anyway, good luck with your excellent results and long may they continue. It's a shame that more of us don't find it a simple matter of applying a carb ratio.

Out of interest what is your carb ratio and how fine grained do you calculate it?

I have a diabetes hospital appointment in a couple of weeks, so I am going ask Mr T for a C peptide test, if the answer is no, I will ask why and then still ask for one.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it is entirely possible that the OP is a competitive cyclist with a 4.4% HbA1c. According to what I have read about professional and semi-professional athletes, the muscles act as a "sink" for BG. The more muscle you have, the bigger the store, and the more you restock after exercise. If the OP keeps exercising and eating carbs before, during and after, no doubt that sink is both getting bigger and getting refilled properly.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is entirely possible that the OP is a competitive cyclist with a 4.4% HbA1c. According to what I have read about professional and semi-professional athletes, the muscles act as a "sink" for BG. The more muscle you have, the bigger the store, and the more you restock after exercise. If the OP keeps exercising and eating carbs before, during and after, no doubt that sink is both getting bigger and getting refilled properly.

Or lucky to be in a the "microsecretor" percentage...!? ;)
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/38/2/323

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You missed his previous posts: two C - peptide tests and both negative.
Good point ConradJ. I don't doubt they came up negative. But how sensitive is the "standard" run of the mill c peptide test anyway? It could be like looking at the moon in detail through a beer bottle for all we know...

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Good points @RuthW .

This is what I'm currently grinding my way through in Ginger Vieira's "Your diabetes science experiment".

From what I can see from many responses, most didn't have an issue with the original post or his results but his own responses, which appear to sneer at others inability to achieve perfection on a high carb diet as though they must have been lazy or something.

The OP seems unable to understand that the world and his dog (or cat) can't all pursue a self-focused career in professional / semi-pro cycling or other sports and, therefore, must use diet as an alternative method in the maintenance of good blood glucose control.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Good point ConradJ. I don't doubt they came up negative. But how sensitive is the "standard" run of the mill c peptide test anyway? It could be like looking at the moon in detail through a beer bottle for all we know...

And maybe the beer bottle was empty!