Why are people eating specific and low carb diets?

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the 1970's I had a diet of 110g of carbohydrate that I had to follow religiously to feed my one insulin injection, there was no insulin for corrections.. My control started to go off the rails when MDI was introduced in the 1980's along with the freedom to eat what I wanted, just bolus for it. I've gone pretty much full circle now eating about 80g carbs per day with the use of a pump and quite low insulin requirements.

I've used fixed carbs to feed fixed insulin in the 70's, followed by unlimited carbs badly matched by unlimited insulin with the introduction of MDI in the 80's and now I'm at a happy balance of lowish carbs in order to keep my insulin requirements low - through my choice. My control for the past few years has been the best I've ever managed.

It is what works for you of course, at first I thought MDI was the answer to all my prayers, freedom to carry on regardless but it brought rapid spiking and serious hypos for me. By controlling the carb element of what I eat, I feel safer and more in control. If I occasionally want something higher in carb value then I will have it but as a general rule I stick to a specific diet and I'm happy with the results.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You are in the minority for the qty of exercise you do.
Most people don't.

Reactions: 4 people

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
I'm not going to apologise for suggesting exercise as a tool to improve quality of life and overall bg control...I don't believe that all doctors and professionals stress the importance of exercise enough thus people both diabetic and non diabetic do very little exercise.

Reactions: 2 people

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and it's complications
I may be so...but it doesn't mean people shouldn't.

Well Sammy, I personally run, cycle, hike and swim. 5 times a week. I run several half marathons a year and I also complete at least one extreme distance/ultra event. For me, "just bolus" for it is total nonsense. The only thing that made me able to manage my diabetes effectively (HbA1c 5.7%), was to go Low Carb High Fat.

This really isn't a one size fits all approach. I find the dismissive manner of your posts in this thread quite annoying to be honest.

Reactions: 21 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's no doubt about it that exercise is an effective tool in bg management and also to reduce insulin usage, however not everyone is in the fortunate position to do as much others and that is where diet can plays its part, but lets not all fall out over this and so far the thread has been constructive with some excellent reply's.

Reactions: 7 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone is different and we all choose what we're happy with diet and lifestyle-wise. The only issue I have is when people mistakenly rule out something because they've misunderstood.

Personally, I eat a reasonable amount of carbs every day eg cereal for breakfast, carb snacks, pasta, rice, and yes, cake too : D I aim to eat healthily and obviously try not to overdo it, but I'd be the same whether I had diabetes or not.

My last HbA1C was 28 (4.7). I'm not taking much exercise at all at the moment because I'm heavily pregnant, but I agree keeping active helps your sugars.

I also think diet choices might be influenced by people's weight and build. Normally, I'm very slim and quite wiry. The carbs help me keep weight on as I certainly don't need to lose any. I also have a fast metabolism so need a fair amount of calories to maintain my weight.

One size doesn't fit all.

Reactions: 13 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Our gp's just agreed to referrals again for people with illnesses such as diabetes. So glad that this is now back in place for the health of our patients.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I don't low carb but have special diet as I am Coeliac, but I just wouldn't eat food loaded with carbs or very sweet foods, too much for my body to cope with and I pay for it with big spikes, no matter how much Insulin I take.

RRB.

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But if you think about it the body is meant to produce insulin by itself so it doesn't have a negative impact by injecting 'extra' units.

I just think if you are going to have to inject a small amount...you are still going to have to inject. So why not eat what you want and take a little extra insulin and be able to enjoy your food more.

Because it doesn't work for everybody, I have never stuffed my face with heavy duty carbs or sweet things, nor Macdonalds. A treat now for me is fine. Lots of type 1's, but totally different management and regimes, the old boring saying of 'one size doesn't fit all' is so true.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well Sammy, I personally run, cycle, hike and swim. 5 times a week. I run several half marathons a year and I also complete at least one extreme distance/ultra event. For me, "just bolus" for it is total nonsense. The only thing that made me able to manage my diabetes effectively (HbA1c 5.7%), was to go Low Carb High Fat.

This really isn't a one size fits all approach. I find the dismissive manner of your posts in this thread quite annoying to be honest.
That's great - I'm glad to hear that you are partaking in a great level of exercise/activity however, I am sorry to hear that you cannot manage your bg levels effectively through exercise and bolus. 5.7% is good but I personally prefer a tighter range but as previously stated every one is individual and there is no magic formula that guarantees perfect results for everyone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's great - I'm glad to hear that you are partaking in a great level of exercise/activity however, I am sorry to hear that you cannot manage your bg levels effectively through exercise and bolus. 5.7% is good but I personally prefer a tighter range but as previously stated every one is individual and there is no magic formula that guarantees perfect results for everyone.

Here, here :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I cannot agree with your statement about having to have a certain amount of good carbs for your excessive exercise.
I am in permanent ketosis. At my age and my manual job with walking and being very busy through the day doing chores and looking after my disabled wife. I have a very demanding day.
I have no trouble with my energy levels, in fact better energy levels now than working full time on a high speed industrial production line.
Indeed there is a move towards better low carb diets for professional sportsmen because of the repercussions after retiring from professional sports, even though they are still keeping generally fit.
The not caring what you eat could and probably will come back to haunt you in future!

Reactions: 18 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A tablespoon of peanut butter usually powers my engine through gym time.

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of interesting opinions here. I'm newly diagnosed and for me, i still have a very carb-heavy diet. I did before my diagnosis, but I do think it can be carefully managed. I too looked at LC diets and mentally having to adjust to eating a very different diet can be extremely tough. I wouldn't want to think i can't have certain foods, that's just depressing. Of course, everyone should do what suits them. One day i might try LC but certainly not at the moment.

I do exercise regularly and find it better to control weight and general fitness more than having an impact on average bg.

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I cannot agree with your statement about having to have a certain amount of good carbs for your excessive exercise.
I am in permanent ketosis. At my age and my manual job with walking and being very busy through the day doing chores and looking after my disabled wife. I have a very demanding day.
I have no trouble with my energy levels, in fact better energy levels now than working full time on a high speed industrial production line.
Indeed there is a move towards better low carb diets for professional sportsmen because of the repercussions after retiring from professional sports, even though they are still keeping generally fit.
The not caring what you eat could and probably will come back to haunt you in future!
I'm sorry to hear that you are in permanent ketosis..I doubt that's fun! However, in relation to eating a great deal of carbs - it is essential that I do so. I compete at a high level and it is essential for me to fuel my training and racing correctly. If I do not fuel myself correctly then both my training and race performance suffers...myself with the supervision of my team (cycling team doctors and dieticians etc) have been experimenting with different food types and quantities since December and the research has all shown that both physically and psychologically I perform much better with high (clean) carbs.

No two people are a like and obviously what you go through in a day (work, chores and caring) differs from the demands in which are put upon my body. With regards to your comment 'not caring what I eat could and probably will come back to haunt me' I ask that you reconsider after reading my explanation as I believe that this post very clearly highlights the amount of thought and careful planning goes into my diet.

That's great to hear that you don't have trouble with energy levels - keep her lit!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sammy, I disagree with you on most points but it is also very refreshing to read the posts of young, active and positive person. Thank you.

On the other hand, carbs really aren't necessary for anything, not even physical achievements. Ketones seems to work quite as well if not better.

Carbs are nice to eat though.

Reactions: 11 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@sammyc123, do you understand what ketosis is? There's no need to feel sorry for someone in it. It's a great state to be in as it means you are burning fats as your primary fuel source.

Reactions: 19 people

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Sammy, I disagree with you on most points but it is also very refreshing to read the posts of young, active and positive person. Thank you.

On the other hand, carbs really aren't necessary for anything, not even physical achievements. Ketones seems to work quite as well if not better.

Carbs are nice to eat though.
Interesting feedback...would you like to elaborate on which points you disagree with?

Carbs aren't necessary...I beg to differ. If you speak with any elite level cyclist they will tell you that carbs are essential. I also have months worth of lab tests done both on the bike and off the bike that back up that carbs are very much necessary - for me as an individual any way.

But yes I agree - they often are rather tasty to eat!!

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@sammyc123, do you understand what ketosis is? There's no need to feel sorry for someone in it. It's a great state to be in as it means you are burning fats as your primary fuel source.
Yes I do understand what ketosis is Tim. I do feel sorry as the consequences of remaining in that state for a lengthy period of time can be detrimental to ones health. Please see the following:

Side Effects
A prolonged state of ketosis can cause major health problems like:
Calcium deficiency
Osteoporosis
Gout
Kidney stones
Liver damage
Controversy Surrounding Ketosis and its Symptoms
Most people claim that going into ketosis and exhibiting its symptoms is no reason for alarm, and simply denotes a different and specific phase of metabolism that the body is going through. This is the main reason that people still strongly advocate going in for low-carb diets, and even go to the extent of claiming that certain organs function better during the state of ketosis. However, research says that ketone bodies are acidic compounds, and their accumulation in the blood could lead to toxicity. It is an aggravation of symptoms that lead to the potentially life-threatening condition called ketoacidosis.