Why are people rushing to NOT take the wonder drug?

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When reading up on Metformin I'm wondering why people are in such a risk to get off this anti aging, cancer reducing, cardiovascular improving wonder drug?

Reactions: Josieee

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it’s each to their own. I’m happy to continue on Metformin, despite having non diabetic HbA1cs in the thirties for over 5 years now. I suffer no side effects, my Vit B12 levels have not suffered as a result of taking it and I hope that Metformin does indeed reduce the risk of other health problems too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When reading up on Metformin I'm wondering why people are in such a risk to get off this anti aging, cancer reducing, cardiovascular improving wonder drug?

My own personal view (after being tied to the toilet for 3 weeks when using it) was to save it for future use in case my dietary changes should ever loose their efficacy..

7 years down the line and still in remission it looks like I made the right decision.

Every drug will have side effects I prefer to avoid that risk.

Edit to add every single benefit listed in the article could also be claimed to arise from a low carb diet...
I know full well which I'd choose to follow.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would never call a treatment that makes many people's lives a misery a "wonderdrug". I honestly couldn't tolerate it, it was like having a lump of poison in my stomach. I stuck it out for 3 months, it gave me IBS and depression - neither of which was I prone to before taking them. Six months later, I still have problems with my stomach and my glucose levels are worse than before I started.
By all means take it if side effects are tolerable though

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Side effects like diarrhoea and lowering b12 are two main reasons that spring to my mind. Any medication has potential,side effects as well as benefits so if I can do the same without it then it will. If I can’t I’ll reconsider.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would enthusiastically take it if it were offered to me AND provided I had none or minimal side effects.

However, in my area, Metformin is only prescribed for T2s with an HbA1c over a certain level, and mine is lower. At least, that is what I was told several years ago when I asked for a prescription (to tackle PCOS/hyperinsulinaemia).

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no problems taking it, I’ve been on it over 13 years and I tolerate it extremely well with none of the side effects. Not everyone gets them or may have them for a short time, I know that by posts on here though that it seems to be very common that others do, like any meds it’s a personal choice

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was pleased to come off it, and my T2 is wholly diet controlled. IMO far more sensible than taking drugs unnecessarily, but it's all about choices, isn't it?
I agree Outlier, but sometimes the choice to take drugs is taken away if our pancreatic output deteriorates.

Reactions: lovinglife

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree Outlier, but sometimes the choice to take drugs is taken away if our pancreatic output deteriorates.
metformin in isnt a drug that works for lack of insulin. It’s one that works mostly by stopping extra glucose being dumped into the blood by the liver. Most type 2 don’t need more drugs because their insulin output diminishes (at least not for many many years of excess levels) but because their insulin resistance increases.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I liked metformin until it depleted my B12 levels. I won't take it again.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s each to their own. I’m happy to continue on Metformin, despite having non diabetic HbA1cs in the thirties for over 5 years now. I suffer no side effects, my Vit B12 levels have not suffered as a result of taking it and I hope that Metformin does indeed reduce the risk of other health problems too.
Hi Rach, do you supplement with B12 oral vitamins?

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took it for a number of years in my 20s/30s to help improve PCOS. It didn't do much, except give me occasional bouts of explosive diarrhoea. I don't know what was happening inside as my GP didn't check my bloods, and about a decade after I stopped taking it I developed T2D anyway. I'd moved by then and the new GP didn't offer me metformin but suggested I try to lose weight instead (yeah, that's easy, right?). However, eating low carb plus the support on here allowed me to do just that - lose weight and reduce my HbA1C to non-diabetic levels. Why take pills, then?

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
metformin in isnt a drug that works for lack of insulin. It’s one that works mostly by stopping extra glucose being dumped into the blood by the liver. Most type 2 don’t need more drugs because their insulin output diminishes (at least not for many many years of excess levels) but because their insulin resistance increases.
I understand what you're saying, but I was talking about diabetic drugs in general. I think on this forum we need to take more care because some people may not be able to control by diet indefinitely and may resist medication or feel a complete failure. And my own need for drugs was not as a result of many years of excess levels. I am the most anti-drug person I know, but I now have no choice!

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took it for a number of years in my 20s/30s to help improve PCOS. It didn't do much, except give me occasional bouts of explosive diarrhoea. I don't know what was happening inside as my GP didn't check my bloods, and about a decade after I stopped taking it I developed T2D anyway. I'd moved by then and the new GP didn't offer me metformin but suggested I try to lose weight instead (yeah, that's easy, right?). However, eating low carb plus the support on here allowed me to do just that - lose weight and reduce my HbA1C to non-diabetic levels. Why take pills, then?
Why take pills isn't the same as why take Metformin. If you read the article, a growing body of evidence is suggesting Metformin reduces cancer, heart disease etc etc and is being proscribed by dr's specializing In making people live longer or longevity experts. These guys don't have T2D but take the "wonder drug" to help live longer.

The rush to get off pills may not be the best option....

• Informative
Reactions: Josieee and jjraak

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand what you're saying, but I was talking about diabetic drugs in general. I think on this forum we need to take more care because some people may not be able to control by diet indefinitely and may resist medication or feel a complete failure. And my own need for drugs was not as a result of many years of excess levels. I am the most anti-drug person I know, but I now have no choice!
This is my point Maria, taking Metformin is what very wealthy, educated and motivated Individuals are doing to help extend their lives, people without T2D, so instead of feeling a failure or lamenting the need to take a pill every day, should we not be pleased we are also getting the wider benefits that Metformin convey?