Type 1 Why can I not get pregnant?

LittleItaly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone...

This is something that I am really nervous about facing because I feel that if I do and I ask questions etc... I will just get the outcome that I really do not want to get. The "I'm so sorry to tell you but you cannot have children."

I'm 21 years old and have been a diabetic type 1 since I was 12. Having a baby is what I've always wanted in life. To be a mother. I've been with my partner nearly two years and am a step mother to his lovely 5 year old daughter. It pains me that she would like to have a sibling and that my partner would like to have another baby because I fear I may not be able to.

I've had two miscarriages already and would just like to know what I can do to try and make this situation better? Every time I have a period it is always heavy and I suffer from clots, some larger than others and they are never regular. I don't use protection due to personal reasons but I just always ask myself, "Why can I not get pregnant?"

thank you for taking the time to read this... x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously you can get pregnant, you have been pregnant twice. I'm really sorry to hear that those pregnancies didn't have happy endings for you. Sadly it's not that uncommon, something like 15-25% of recognised pregnancies end in miscarriage.

Have you had any advice from you doctors about what might have caused your miscarriages? I don't think generally they start to refer women for early pregnancy advice until she's had a stronger history of miscarriage like 3 in a row. It sounds awful, but that gives you an idea of just how terribly common it is. But it would be worth asking you GP if they have any information on causes of the previous losses and if they have any advice for you.

I suppose the obvious thing to look at, given you've asked the questioning a diabetes forum, is what is your diabetic control like? What's your hba1c? Have you been under pre pregnancy assessment by your DSN? Type 1s aiming to get pregnant are advise to have a hba1c under 48 and there are tight blood sugar targets during a pregnancy because high blood sugar is harmful for the baby and can be a cause of miscarriage or foetal abnormality.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LittleItaly

What are your blood sugars like? What is your diet like? Do you take any foluc acid tablets at the moment?

Sorry for the questions but can help knowing these things x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@LittleItaly Sorry that you're having problems - it must be extremely worrying.

As @catapillar says, you can get pregnant but you've unfortunately miscarried. I'm not sure if you want to explain a little more about when those happened (ie at what stage). I understand totally if you don't want to.

How is your diabetes control? Do you have any other health problems apart from the diabetes?

You mention heavy periods - have they always been heavy?