Type 1 Why can't I handle colds any more?

tinyroman

I'm 63 and have had diabetes T1 for almost 40 years. My management is good and control reasonable.
I don't often get a cold but it seems the last few times I've had one the effects have been really bad. Instead of shaking it off and continuing with my daily life, I'm now totally debilitated for a week. This one started last Thursday with a sore throat, and today is the first time I've had the energy or motivation to pick up this tablet. My Christmas presents are still unopened. My 94 yr old Mum is coming to look after me because I'm too weak even to make a cup of tea. It sounds a bit dramatic, but it's the truth. The last time I had a cold I had to go to A&E, I was so poorly.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I don't need advice about insulin/diet/control etc, just information.
Thanks in advance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like you have a really bad cold or possibly the flu, I had flu several years back and it washed me out completely @tinyroman

It might just be a age thing too, we don't shake illness off as easily when we get older like we did in out younger years, anyway hope your feeling better soon and if not call for a Dr and seek advice.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A couple of years ago I had a cold that lasted three weeks. I felt very weak indeed. Perhaps it's a virus like that?

All I did was rest, keep warm and have plenty of hot drinks as they helped, but it was still three weeks before I felt myself.

I hope you feel better gradually.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 63 and have had diabetes T1 for almost 40 years. My management is good and control reasonable.
I don't often get a cold but it seems the last few times I've had one the effects have been really bad. Instead of shaking it off and continuing with my daily life, I'm now totally debilitated for a week. This one started last Thursday with a sore throat, and today is the first time I've had the energy or motivation to pick up this tablet. My Christmas presents are still unopened. My 94 yr old Mum is coming to look after me because I'm too weak even to make a cup of tea. It sounds a bit dramatic, but it's the truth. The last time I had a cold I had to go to A&E, I was so poorly.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I don't need advice about insulin/diet/control etc, just information.
Thanks in advance.

some viruses do overwhelm one totally, I once had one that in half an hour made me so weak I couldn´t even crawl ... i managed to get to my door and lay with my head out so I could try to call for help if someone passed by... which someone luckily did, I thought I was going to die.... it lasted for 6 week in my case and I was in hospital , I was young and normally very fresh and sporty... there were other old people getting as sick as me but the younger people only had the disease for 1 week if getting it at all...
maybe you are just especially weak to certain viruses....

tinyroman

Thanks for replying. I was concerned you may have thought I was exaggerating , but feel more comforted in seeing that others have had similar. I don't want to call 111 as I waited 6 hours in a & e last time before being seen and I just wanted to die. Feel like that now but at least am at home. Thank you for hugs too.